Sethian Doctor Strange from Marvel?

Started by Wren, April 13, 2016, 03:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wren

OPEN YOUR MIND

CHANGE YOUR REALITY

So says the first trailer for Marvel's Doctor Strange. It looks like a mash-up between Inception and the Matrix, with metaphysics too. Initially Dr Strange doubts the New Age: 'I don't believe in fairytales about chakras, energy or the power of belief', he says. The Ancient One imparts his/her wisdom: 'You're a man looking at the world through a keyhole. You've spent your life trying to widen it.' Later:  'What if I told you that reality is one of many?' And:  'You wonder what I see in your future? Possibility.' By the end Strange is begging to be taught.

Sena

Wren,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I don't often watch fantasy movies, but I think I will want to watch this when it comes out. So it's the Ancient One played by Tilda Swinton who is the Sethian? It will cerainly be good to watch her, together with Benedict Cumberbatch and Rachel McAdams.

Wren

Quote from: senafernando on April 14, 2016, 02:07:40 AM
Wren,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I don't often watch fantasy movies, but I think I will want to watch this when it comes out. So it's the Ancient One played by Tilda Swinton who is the Sethian? It will cerainly be good to watch her, together with Benedict Cumberbatch and Rachel McAdams.

Tilda is the enlightened master, yes. The Ancient One is an Asian male in the comics so a bit of a change there!

I will definitely be seeing this. I've seen lots of Marvel's stuff and how many movie trailers mention chakras?  ;D

Deb

Yes! Yes! Yes! Teach me too!

Just watched the trailer, it looks great. I rarely go to the movies, but I'm putting this one on the calendar. November 4.

The actress is the one who was (Gabriel?) in Constantine. Wow. So she's into Seth? I need to look that up.

Wren

Quote from: Deb on April 14, 2016, 10:56:00 AM
Yes! Yes! Yes! Teach me too!

Just watched the trailer, it looks great. I rarely go to the movies, but I'm putting this one on the calendar. November 4.

The actress is the one who was (Gabriel?) in Constantine. Wow. So she's into Seth? I need to look that up.

Um, I don't know if Tilda knows about Seth or not. It would be very cool if she did tho.

myststars

The cartoons/comisc with doctor Strange date from 1963 according to wikipedia...I am not sure how much "seth" is this but more asian stuff that is older ...I will go myself to this movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange_Tales

Yesterday i was at Miss peregrine movie.The Tim Burton movies are very creative and are pretty.Also i see a continuation of Harry Potter franchise in some way ...

"Fantastic animals and where to find them"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3183660/

Batfan007

The comic themselves have no relationship to Seth material, and neither do the co-creators Steve Ditko or Stan Lee.
However all of Stan Lee's co-creations do deliberately have Shakespearean themes in them (he's a fan of Shakespeare and classic literature), particularly flawed heroes, and tragic circumstances in the origin tales.

Most Marvel characters in their first appearances started out as very arrogant characters who learn to be better human beings through tragic circumstances
Banner (Hulk) Stark (Iron Man) Stephen Strange (Dr Strange) Peter Parker (spidey) Reed Richards (Fantastic 4) and others.

Strange's main creator was Steve Ditko, who is against drugs and does not do psychedelics, but a lot of the early readers of his work assumed he did because of the visuals.

Wren

Saw Doctor Strange today and just loved it. One of the best Marvel films I've seen (and I've seen a few!  ;D ). Cumberbatch was perfectly cast, the visuals are eye-popping and dizzying and I enjoyed getting tiny glimpses of Nepal and fleeting references to the Chakras, Acupuncture, the Energy Body etc. It has its own mythology and deals with ideas of time, infinity, knowledge, possibilities. It's also very funny in places! I'm glad it's getting good reviews.

Not going to discuss the plot as I don't want to introduce any spoilers at the moment.

Deb

Great news Wren, thanks! I just took a look at the new trailer and it gave me goose bumps. Had a little bit of an Inception look about it some of the scenes. The graphics look amazing. I will go see it this week! I could totally see the Sethness about the story.

myststars

In cinemas here will be aired first time on 4th nov  at 20:00 local time.I already bought a ticket online...

Wren

I liked it so much I saw it again last week. I don't usually do that with films on release. Afterwards I wondered whether any of the audience considered any of the ideas presented, or whether 99.9% viewed it as just another Marvel superhero movie.

One thing which I found striking was:

Sorry but you must log in to view spoiler contents.

Batfan007

Quote from: Wren

I liked it so much I saw it again last week. I don't usually do that with films on release. Afterwards I wondered whether any of the audience considered any of the ideas presented, or whether 99.9% viewed it as just another Marvel superhero movie.

One thing which I found striking was:

1. Marvel heroes gotta have  flaw (iron man movie his heart is fucked, and it still is at the end of the film)
2. It sets up the sequel (something to follow up on).

But I mean it,  it's a core defining trait that the Marvel Heroes as conceived all had (and still do have) critical flaws, it's what brought in the more social emotional realism, while DC's heroes were often flaw-less gods, Batman being the main exception, and the most Marvel-like character that DC has.
It was was a major departure in comics writing in the 60's where Marvel reached a new audience, with a distinctly different style that what had come previous - and DC followed suit, adapting their heroes and stories to try and capture some of that success.

Deb

Quote from: WrenI liked it so much I saw it again last week.

Hey Wren, great idea to use the spoiler to hide a spoiler! I should probably do the same.

I just saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. The Seth-like content was refreshing and exciting! I'm also into special effects, so I loved the Inception/Escher buildings bending, folding, churning... all of it.

I may go see it again, I just saw it's also playing in 3D.