Humorous Bits

Started by Dandelion, June 21, 2016, 06:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandelion

As Seth would say, it's all about the present:

The Official Pickles Comic page is one of my favorite Facebook pages.

https://www.facebook.com/picklescomic/timeline

Dandelion

Not sure if there's a way to insert this picture but here's the link to it.

https://plus.google.com/111111606852311283386/posts/fhmoGCPm6sB

Deb

OMG.
Point well taken.

BethAnne

JimK

Dandelion

Mik

I want to relate a true story of my history, and what I think is a positive note for some Christian communities. I personally find it quite humorous.

I had never attended church growing up. As an adult I was a pluralist, pantheistic, spiritual Mystic, who in certain circles, admitted to being psychic.

My wife (a recovering Catholic), and I, decided, we wanted to expose our children to good people and good role models.

She suggested a non-catholic church might serve the purpose.

I had attended a session on increasing psychic abilities given by a friend of mine: who is a very capable psychic. She occasionally attended the church that she rented to give the seminar.

I suggested that church. The people there were extraordinarily accepting. A few had attended the seminar. But all were open-minded. This church in the 90s was the first church in my community to accept gay people, and advertise publicly for their membership.

Everyone knew I wasn't Christian, except through my pluralism, I was extremely weird as a spiritual Mystic, and maybe 40% were aware, a psychic.

As a recovering Catholic my wife did not want us to join the church: so we were never members.

A friend of mine held a 2 year position as second chair for something called "The Hospitality and Nurture Committee". She said she was having some health problems and asked if I would fill in for her while she was absent. My friend turned out to have stage 4 cancer and would never return to the position.

Okay fine. The responsibilities were limited and I could handle it. I had promised.

Very shortly thereafter, the chair of the committee resigned from the church and disappeared.

I was advanced to finish most of a two-year position as Chair of the hospitality and nurture committee. Me: A Non-Christian Mystic psychic. A position I had neither sought, nor wanted.

After I held my first committee meeting, that was well attended -  because, I brought wine, soft drinks, snacks and hors d'oeuvres. And I called every team member asking if they wanted to add any topics to the meeting.

Then it gets weirder. Two Sundays after my first meeting,  someone, that I barely knew, asked 'why wasn't I at the meeting?'.  What meeting?!?

Turns out, as chair of the hospitality and nurture committee, I was also a council member. A non-member, non-Christian, weirdo, was on the council who had practically never attended church in his life.

I offered to resign, either the committee head and/or the council, and was refused. They, the entire church body, passed an amendment to the church Constitution to allow a non-member to be a council member.

And that is how I became a council member in a church who knew all of my picadillos. Life is weird.

Those people were wonderful. I, and my family, benefited greatly from knowing them.

And that is actually a true story.

Funny Funny x 1 View List