Changing beliefs - reactions of self and others

Started by Deb, November 04, 2015, 11:52:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

"For a time then you may experience a feeling of loss as you move from one group of beliefs to another. However, others, sharing your new beliefs, will gravitate toward you and you to them. I will say more about this later in the book, but it explains for example why a diet-watcher, suddenly determined to lose weight, may meet with veiled or even open resistance from family or friends; why the person who makes new resolutions may find himself baffled by associates' ridicule; why the alcoholic trying not to drink finds others tempting him quite openly, or teasing him into indulgence by hidden tactics. When someone who has been ill starts on the road to recovery through changing his beliefs, he may be quite surprised to find even his dearest allies suddenly upset, reminding him of the "reality" of his dire state for the same reasons.

"New paragraph: Because beliefs form reality — the structure of experience — any change in beliefs altering that structure initiates change to some extent, of course. The status quo which served a certain purpose is gone, new elements are introduced, another creative process begins. Because your private beliefs are shared with others, because there is interaction, then any determined change of direction on your part is felt by others, and they will react in their own fashion. You are setting out to experience the most fulfilled reality that you can. To do this you have, hopefully, begun to examine your beliefs. You may want others to change. In doing so you begin with yourself.

"I told you (in the 619th session) to imagine a game in which you see yourself acting in line with the new desired belief. As you do so, see yourself affecting others in the new fashion. See them reacting to you in the new way. This is highly important because telepathically you are sending them interior messages. You are telling them that you are changing the conditions and behavior of your relationship. You are broadcasting your altered position. Some will be quite able to understand you at that level. There may be those who need the old framework, and someone, if not you, to play the part you played before. Those people will either drop out of your experience or you must drop them from yours."

Roberts, Jane (2011-09-30). The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know (A Seth Book) (Kindle Locations 1911-1920). Amber-Allen Publishing. Kindle Edition.
Session 622

Deb

Quote from: Deb on November 04, 2015, 11:52:02 AMBecause your private beliefs are shared with others, because there is interaction, then any determined change of direction on your part is felt by others, and they will react in their own fashion.

Ever feel that resistance of others to your changing beliefs? We have a role to play in each others' lives. Many seem to view change as a threat. At least in my experience, that's the most common reaction. Is it because people are lazy and comfortable ("don't make me think") with the way things are? And any changes in ourselves, may cause others to look at themselves?

Monica

Maybe it is to do with conscious or 'unconscious' creation of reality.

If they have attracted a changing version of 'you' into their lives, then at some level they are changing too, even if only by rejecting what you are becoming.

I would think that change would be more of a threat to those who do not acknowledge their own part in creating their personal experience, as it would seem as though change and uncertainty is thrust upon them.

So, perhaps it is less laziness and more an unsettled feeling that an unknown force rocks their lives in a way they believe they cannot control.

Deb

Quote from: Monica on November 04, 2015, 10:11:48 PMIf they have attracted a changing version of 'you' into their lives, then at some level they are changing too, even if only by rejecting what you are becoming.

I really like that, what a great thought. I'm going to have to ponder that a bit, it's along the same lines as I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about not feeling responsible for others' experiences with us, because they have attracted those experiences to themselves, regardless of our role in the situation.

I was also thinking, on a more shallow level, that people are drawn to us because there are things about us they find attractive. Changing ourselves, growing, can mean losing what attracted certain people to us. Or in a close relationship, the non-changing party could fear they will end up being rejected.

While driving today, I heard a comedian on the local comedy radio station joking about how he gave up drinking and his buddies were not only unsupportive, they were continually trying to undermine his decision. Somehow he managed to make it sound funny. But seeing someone else change and grow can make others reassess themselves. Not a comfortable process, if they are insecure. Then throw some unconscious creation into that mix... and ouch.

Jackaranda

If I came out and said to many people close to me what I really feel to be true about the soul, the afterlife, consciousness, etc...they'd think I was crazy. I only talk about it with people who have the same attitude as I do.
Jack