Religion in US worth more than Google, Apple combined

Started by myststars, September 17, 2016, 09:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myststars

Sena

It's not only in the US, what about the Vatican? I don't think anybody outside has full information on the financial status of the Vatican.

Deb

Yep, the Christian religion especially has been historically the big winner in the money category. I've seen enough gilded and ornate churches and cathedrals throughout Europe to know the US is not unique. Living here, I see evidence of the big money machine every day. I've often jokingly said I want to start my OWN religion, because then I wouldn't have to pay taxes and could get away with a lot of things because religious rights are so protected in the US.

Ever hear about the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster? A member, a 'Pastafarian,' had a little controversy going when she insisted she be allowed to wear a spaghetti strainer in her drivers' license photo this year based on her religious rights and freedom.

I'll most likely move this topic when I figure out where to put it, it's too much of a stretch for me to put it under "Seth and Other Teachers."  ;)

Batfan007

Has anyone watched the recent Scientology documentary "Going Clear"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4257858/

Other than the expose of human rights abuses, it was very interesting to get into the nitty gritty of the pre-history and inception of Hubbard's movement.
It's been known for decades he started Scientology as a way to receive income exempt from tax status, but all the other stuff that went on is pretty mind boggling.

voidypaul

Well i think you can add to this  dire list of useless human invention most of the politicians around the world + their ilk . The religions + 'spiritual' groups all become politicised anyway , grabbing what they can where they can while adding some newish or wierd dogma to-boot, ie scientology . Some of them may be more well intentioned than others but by-en-large they are all numbskulls who see no further than their own petty voracious ego's + bank balances . Not my cup of tea at all ,
pooh .

Can't you put this topic under ''all the other wankers in the world'' , Deb , or is that one full already ?             (actually i liked the 'pastafarian', she gets my vote)

regards, paul

LenKop

The irony of the religious movements is that they can be used to circumvent laws. Eg. Avoiding taxes, avoiding 'medical' requirements, getting days off work.....mmmm....I might have to start my own cult...err, I mean religion...lol

Going Clear is a very good doco. I didn't realise how much Scientology has grown...or how ludicrous (and litigious) it is, particularly at the higher echelons. I hope they don't start stalking me now...lol.

LK

Deb

Quote from: voidypaulCan't you put this topic under ''all the other wankers in the world'' , Deb , or is that one full already ?             (actually i liked the 'pastafarian', she gets my vote)

Paul, you brought tears to my eyes with that one. Yes, that one is already full. You're funny.

I suppose I should attempt to watch the documentary. I've tended to avoid anything about religion, whether critical or supportive, since, oh, I think when Jim Jones convinced almost 1,000 people to drink the Kool-Aid (he didn't drink it himself, the coward). It sealed the deal for me.

Quote from: LenKopI hope they don't start stalking me now...lol.

I'll protect you, Len. Actually I get a free SSL certificate with my hosting plan, I'm thinking of rearranging things so I can secure SoS so when we talk in the members-only topics we'll be safe from prying eyes. If I can just figure out how to do that...   ::)

Batfan007

Quote from: LenKop
The irony of the religious movements is that they can be used to circumvent laws. Eg. Avoiding taxes, avoiding 'medical' requirements, getting days off work.....mmmm....I might have to start my own cult...err, I mean religion...lol

Going Clear is a very good doco. I didn't realise how much Scientology has grown...or how ludicrous (and litigious) it is, particularly at the higher echelons. I hope they don't start stalking me now...lol.

LK

Yeah that was a good doco. They still pale in comparison to the modern day human rights abuses of the Catholic Church.
It amazes me, that people have known since at least the 70s (if not earlier) that Hubbard started the religion to make money, and avoid paying taxes. It's not like he even made a secret of it, as he boasted about it to anyone who would listen.

Yet people STILL join the church of Scien-Idolatry. Of all the modern religions, I find it the most kookiest, funniest and just bizarre that people want to believe in the stories of a science fiction writer, then again it's the old "my religious story is true and yours is fiction" argument.

At least with Scientology, people know Hubbard just made things up, and took ideas from his own novels.
He's as kooky as Lovecraft and his "Elder Gods" but not half the writer, nor anywhere near as poetic.