Meditation Tips & Tricks

Started by Deb, April 01, 2016, 11:48:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

The benefits of meditation are many. What was explained to me, on the scientific level, is that meditation quiets the mind, breaks the "neurotic" cycle of thought allowing the body time to regroup and heal and "do its thing" without us getting in the way. Changes in beliefs and thought patterns can also be more easily changed in meditation—most of what has been programmed into our minds (social mores, beliefs) were absorbed by us as children, when we lived in a perpetual meditative state (delta to to the age of 2, theta to the age of 6, alpha to the age of 12). Society had a direct pipeline to our subconscious during our most impressionable ages.

Our typical waking brainwave frequency is in the beta range, mid to high (15-28Hz, from awake and alert to high activity resulting in anxiety and exhaustion). Meditation causes us to withdraw from external stimulation. Less sensory input means lower frequencies. If we can get down into alpha (7.5-12Hz, relaxed, calm, alert but not mentally processing anything) and even better, theta and theta-delta (3.5-7.5Hz, long term memory access, learning, threshold of subconscious). I think of meditation as a sort of self-hypnosis: releasing us from the chatter of the conscious mind, lowering that brain wave activity and an opportunity to not only regroup, but make some constructive changes and open ourselves to the higher consciousness. Here's a comprehensive brainwave frequencies chart.

Meditation has not often been easy for me. It's a skill as far as I'm concerned and it takes a lot for my chatterbox of a consciousness to release its grip. I often have to rely on tools to get me over the threshold.

This topic will be a resource of tricks and tips for getting into the meditative state for those of us who need the extra help. Please contribute if you have a favorite technique!

Guided Meditations

My #1 favorite, guided meditations by my healing-trainer-guru David Elliott. Here is one on manifestation. He utilizes pranayama breathing in all of his meditations. Two breaths in (first lower chest, second adds upper chest), one breath out, all through the mouth. The breath is to distract the mind from thought and focus on the breath, which quiets the mind more quickly.
Sorry but you must log in to view spoiler contents.

MindMovies
This is something I've only recently been introduced to. These are slide shows I can make for myself addressing specific topics. The process is: I gather images representing what I want to accomplish, overlay affirmative statements and then set it all to music. I was gifted a membership to MindMovies, so I've made and downloaded a few different ones. The repetition of the changing slides, affirmations, music are hypnotic.

Kaleidoscope / Fractal Videos
Something else I've recently been introduced to and which I use with the MindMovies. Again, hypnotic.

Don't like the music on those? Turn the sound off on YouTube and choose some soothing music by Steven Halpern,  the father of healing music and a recording artist for Hemi-Sync (The Monroe Institute), among others.

Here's a good one:

Deep Theta by Steven Halpern
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqbjJPSLlqgYpQTa-ae0nin8X3ESK9L8Z

And not to forget the Ooohhmmm: "In quiet moments the word "O-O-O-O-O-M-M-M-M-M" said slowly, mentally or aloud, will be of benefit in toning up your general physical condition. The sounds contain within them a built-in impetus toward energy and well-being" Seth, NOPR, 624

I like to "sing along" with this one, I can feel the sounds vibrating through my sternum and up into my head/sinus cavities.

Quote from: Deb on March 16, 2016, 07:54:51 PMHere's a link to a 30 minute meditation called "Ohm." I got it for free a couple of years ago off Eben Alexander's (Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife) web site. I wouldn't share if he was selling it.

LenKop

Another technique to quiet the mind is to focus on your body.

Feel your arm, or leg, or whichever part of your body. Or move your focus around your body. It gets you out of your head.

I think meditation is really an exercise in focus. Very important exercise that helps practically in our daily lives, but also in trying to expand our awareness at deeper levels.

Credit for the above technique to Ken Eagle Feather, from his book Toltec Dreaming.

LK

Deb

Ah, thanks Len. I've used that to make myself go to sleep. I think I learned it from Bob Monroe or Norm Shealy, not sure which one. Focus on the feet, feel them, they are relaxed and warm; work up to the ankles, then calves, knees, right up the body. It certainly does take you out of your head.

BethAnne

Some good tips there.
I'll check out the Mind Movies.  I make my own and it's been very helpful.  Better than Treasure Mapping.

John Sorensen

Quote from: LenKop on April 01, 2016, 06:31:45 PM
Another technique to quiet the mind is to focus on your body.

Feel your arm, or leg, or whichever part of your body. Or move your focus around your body. It gets you out of your head.

I think meditation is really an exercise in focus. Very important exercise that helps practically in our daily lives, but also in trying to expand our awareness at deeper levels.

Credit for the above technique to Ken Eagle Feather, from his book Toltec Dreaming.

LK

Like a chameleon consciousness temporarily becomes whatever it focuses upon, it's energies imbuing that focus with infinite intelligence.

LenKop

John Sorensen

Thanks. I'm starting to sound like Deepak Chopra. LOL.

Bob

'61 points of light' is a guided yoga nidra meditation and a wonderful 25 minute body relaxation audio. It's less than 5 bucks on iTunes and Audible. I use it and think highly of it.

Deb

Quote from: Bob
'61 points of light'

Duly noted, thanks! I'm going to check that out.