Author Topic: Ghosts — boo!  (Read 243 times)

Offline Deb

• Administrator
  • ~We are the black sheep of the Universe.~
    • Like us on Facebook!
Quote from: strangerthings
Paranormal investigating is a hoot! I used to do this with some friends of mine. I actually do not do it any longer after reading Seth and understanding more what the Warrens had to say about such paranormal happenings. They concluded (well she really, Lorraine) that it was created by us. Which is what Seth says. I could and still do ... 'get that'. Was never the same after. Was boring. heh

@strangerthings, your comment captured my interest enough to start a new topic :) .

I did paranormal investigation for a few years, out of curiosity and an excuse to travel. I got to rub elbows with some celebs, had some wild experiences. But like you, once I came across the Seth material and got a very different picture of reality, consciousness, etc., the ghost hunting lost its attraction.

I have not followed the Warrens much because it seemed to me they were always talking about possession, evil and demons, which turned me off. My interest in the paranormal was also a search for personal proof that there is more to our existence than what meets the eye. Being an "optimistic skeptic" I tend to try to remain objective in whatever experiences I have, looking for practical explanations. Yet I had a few experiences that have gone into my "x files" of things that I can't explain (I LOVE the idea that there are things that I can't explain) based on the OLC. The idea that I created the experiences myself (alone or with others) does take the fun out of it, but there can be no other explanation as I create everything in my world.

Yet... Seth does mention "ghosts" many times, which I have to say tickled me when I first started reading the books.

"There are obviously as many kinds of ghosts and apparitions as there are people. They are as alert or as unalert to their situation as you are to your own. They are not fully focused in physical reality, however, either in personality or in form, and this is their main distinction. Some apparitions are thought-forms sent by survival personalities out of lingering deep anxiety. They portray the same compulsive-type behavior that can be seen in many instances in your ordinary experience."

—SS Chapter 10: Session 540, July 6, 1970

Session 396 (Early Sessions 8, 03/04/68) has some interesting things to say about what happens after we leave the physical life, and how some individuals can create their own sort of purgatory between planes by not releasing their focus on earthly existence. "In a considerable number of ghost or apparition cases this is what is involved. "

From Session 397 (03/06/68):

"Now. We will continue from our last session.

In the case of the apparitions and ghosts mentioned in that session, there was one main difficulty behind their situation. Even though the physical image as such had been left behind, the individuals were not able to change their focus of attention away from the physical system.

"At times they are able to be perceived as pseudoimages. They are doing subconsciously what came naturally, attempting to form, as always, their own physical construction. However it is impossible for them to create a consistent solid image in your terms, for while they are still focused within your system the inner self knows well that the individual is finished with a given life situation, is out of alignment so to speak, and is therefore denied full use of its own energy.

"The focus of attention cannot be as strong as it was in physical life, hence the inability to deal with energy in those terms. The personality insists on behaving as if it were in the physical condition however, and out of habit attempts to construct a physical form. He is not imprisoned within this pseudoimage, since he forms it, but the energy used is misdirected and largely futile.

"The image can be perceived at times. Contact can be made by those who are psychically aware."

So, ghosts... or no ghosts? At least this all sort of explains what I've thought ghosts are: residual energy, stuck in time. People generally are afraid of them, only because we instinctively fear the unknown.

Offline LarryH

Re: Ghosts — boo!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 01:36:40 PM »
  • Quote Entire Post (or highlight some text for a PARTIAL quote)
  • This is a timely topic, and perhaps someone here can shed light on my mom's experience over the last three weeks. First, let me set the context: My parents and I live about 100 miles apart in Florida, and we were on an extended trip to Michigan. On our way up, we stayed with my cousin, who lives alone, north of Atlanta. He is separated from his wife, who lives in Chicago. On the way back down, Hurricane Irma was approaching, and we opted to stay put for a week at the same cousin's house. We got back to my home two days ago, and my parents left yesterday for their home. But before they left, my dad pulled me aside to talk. Further context is that my mom has had significant short-term memory loss for several years now, and she is aware that she is, as she says, "losing it". My dad said that on both visits to my cousin's, my mom kept asking, "Who is that lady washing dishes?" "Who is that lady helping Jon make dinner?" "Who is that lady sitting in that chair?" "Is that Jon's wife?" There was no lady. My dad was concerned that this was further evidence of dementia. My first thought was that it was a visitation of a deceased loved one that often appears within weeks of someone about to pass - but she did not recognize the person. My second thought was that this could indeed be a symptom of dementia. Then I realized that the house had at least some history that might offer a different explanation. My cousin had bought the house about 25 years ago in a distress sale after the male owner had committed suicide in the house after his wife had left him. As my cousin said, "We had wondered what that stain on the carpet was!" My dad apparently did not talk to my cousin about what my mom saw. But I might ask my cousin (with my dad's permission) what else there might be about the house that could offer an explanation. By the way, my mom, one of her sisters, and one of her brothers, have all had psychic experiences, so she may simply have a natural expanded perception. I think also that Seth has said that people with dementia simply are applying some of their focus "elsewhere", which may include the ability to see into whatever dimension ghosts or spirits occupy.

Offline Deb

• Administrator
      • Like us on Facebook!
    « Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 02:36:04 PM »
  • Quote from: LarryH
    I think also that Seth has said that people with dementia simply are applying some of their focus "elsewhere", which may include the ability to see into whatever dimension ghosts or spirits occupy.

Wow, what a story Larry. My first thought was what you mentioned in the quote above. I see dementia as a gradual withdrawal from this reality, it makes sense that maybe your mother is able to see through the "veil" a bit. I don't know a lot about dementia, although I've known a couple of people who suffered from it and they didn't have visions. But there are also different types of dementia.

I'm thinking also of strangerthings's experience while mowing the lawn, which in turn reminded me of my "ghost hunting buddy" and her experience several years ago. She was headed into her kitchen one night and a man was walking towards her from the other direction. He looked as shocked to see her as she did seeing him. Then he disappeared. She does "see things" at times and privately I question that. But once investigating in an old theater she looked back at where I was sitting and said she saw someone/something behind me. I didn't see anything myself, but later she showed me a photo she had taken and sure enough, there was a shadowy mass behind me. If I find that photo I'll put it up here.

Seth did mention, I think more than once, that there are bleedthroughs in space and time. Some people are more sensitive to things like that. Some people can become more sensitive to it after some sort of event, such as a head injury, spiritual experience, drug use... why not dementia?

Offline Deb

• Administrator
      • Like us on Facebook!
    « Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 02:40:34 PM »
  • Oh, and I got an email from The Monroe Institute yesterday, adversing a workshop of theirs where you can "Journey into the afterlife state." While I normally have respect for TMI, I thought this was a bit much, but it's on topic.

"Developed by The Monroe Institute, this first-of-its-kind program can empower you with the extraordinary ability to journey into the afterlife state."

"• Reunite with friends and relatives who have transitioned.
     • Perform “rescues and retrievals” for those unable to move on.
     • Visit “The Park,” an afterlife reception center.
     • Connect with new guides and/or systems of guides.
     • Send healing energy to those still embodied.
     • Retrieve lost parts or fragments of yourself."

I thought the "rescues and retrievals" was a bit over the top.

What time is happy hour at The Park ?

Offline LarryH

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 08:20:21 PM »
  • Strangerthings, it is common for first thoughts to be the most valid, but that first thought was before I got the full story. If the woman had been a deceased loved one, she would likely have been recognizable to my mom, and she would have looked at my mom and/or communicated with her. Instead, she appeared to be either doing random kitchen work or just sitting there. Also, the events were two or three weeks apart in two separate visits to the same house. So I am more inclined to go with an entity or energy tied to the house that has nothing to do with my mom, just mom's ability to see into that reality.

Offline LarryH

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 07:16:21 AM »
  • Yes, I will report anything I find out.

Offline LarryH

I did ask my cousin about the history of the house beyond the fact that the prior male owner had committed suicide there. He had no knowledge of any other prior resident, though he did say that on the first night that they were in the house, the doorbell kept ringing periodically all night, and he kept checking, and nobody would be there. But that was the only night that this happened in the decades that he has lived there. He was inclined to agree that my mom's experiences were tied to the family's history of expanded perception. I also found out that a second cousin who has stayed with Jon has apparently inherited her grandmother's (my mom's sister's) tendency to have precognitive dreams about impending deaths. Jon mentioned that this cousin had had a dream that my dad would have surgery, though I was unclear about how recent that dream was. It was a complication during surgery that resulted in his death on September 30.

Offline Deb

• Administrator
      • Like us on Facebook!
    Thanks for the update. Wow. Regarding your cousin's experience when first moving into the house, it reminded me of hearing that renovation or construction in 'haunted' locations will stir up activity. I wonder if the act of someone new moving into a house might do the same. I also wonder how this relates to the Seth material. I need to think about that.

It seems you come from a line of psychically advanced people—you with your healing, the others with precognition or clairvoyance. There's only one other person that I know of that has the same lineage and the abilities tend to get stronger with each generation.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
    Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
    Name: Email:
    Verification:
    Type the letters shown in the picture
    Listen to the letters / Request another image
    Type the letters shown in the picture:
    The opposite of black:
    Twelve divided by two (word):