A Sethian view of THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI

Started by Sena, March 17, 2018, 08:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sena

This is quite a good film, but probably not a great one. Frances McDormand won the Best Actress Oscar for her role here as Mildred. Mildred had a 16-year-old daughter named Angela. We are shown a family quarrel. Angela asks to borrow her mother's car to go on her date. The conversation goes something like this (I am quoting from memory):
Mildred: "You can't have the car, and I won't give you money for a taxi". (I don't think Mildred had much money)
Angela: "I'll walk on the lonely road and get raped."
Mildred: "Yes, you will get raped."
Angela walks on a lonely road, gets raped and murdered. (We are spared the scene of that crime).
The billboards are put up by Mildred, criticizing the local Police chief.
There are interesting characters in this film, including several policemen.
What I found interesting is that I am certain none of the characters in this film would ever read a Seth book.

Deb

Quote from: Sena
This is quite a good film, but probably not a great one.

Worth seeing? I'd not even heard of it until the Academy Awards were about to happen and my boss at the frame shop/art supply store insisted we all predict the winners. I'd seen only 2 movies out of the lot. Were there more things in the movie that made you think of Seth?

The trailer looks interesting. Highly rated. Picked up a few awards too.

Sena

Quote from: Deb
Were there more things in the movie that made you think of Seth?
Deb, it was not that there were particular things Sethian, it is the whole attitude to life. Coming to think of it there is one character, Police Chief Willoughby, played by Woody Harrelson, who has better insight into the meaning of life than anyone else. I better not give away too much of the plot.

Deb

Thank you. I will probably watch the movie.

I saw one last night that was very enjoyable for many reasons, The Pirates of Somalia. What stood out most  for me was the main character blindly followed his impulses, or spontaneity as Seth would say, and how that almost always brought him along a path that resulted in -- drum roll -- value fulfillment. As far as the "almost always" aspect, what didn't work out was a learning experience that was correctable. At the conclusion, his assessment of what he had learned was a unique perspective of the world view of Somalia. For me, it was more about empathy and walking a mile...

The movie is supposedly based on a true story. I have not fact checked that.