Author Topic: Personality fragments in Seth - ?Multiple personalities  (Read 463 times)

Offline Sena

Seth mentions personality fragments in several places. I wonder how these are related to the phenomenon of Multiple Personality. Multiple Personality is currently labelled as a "disorder", but I wonder whether this is always the case.

"In a sense the present individual in any given life could be called a fragment of his entire entity, having all the properties of the original entity, though they remain latent or unused. The personality fragment in this sense can learn to develop what it has, rather than seek new powers. There are no new powers. The image that your friend saw was, as I said, a personality fragment of his own. It contained all the abilities of your friend, whether latent or not I do not know. This type of personality fragment is of different origin than your friend, who is himself a fragment of his own entity. We call this type a split personality fragment, or a personality image fragment. Usually it cannot operate on all levels of your physical plane."
—The Early Sessions Book 1 Session 9 December 18, 1963

"The entity operates its fragments in what you would call a subconscious manner, that is, without conscious direction. The entity gives the fragment independent life, then the entity more or less forgets them. [...] It’s as impossible for the entity to control fragment personalities as for the conscious mind to be aware, or control its own heartbeat."
—TES1 Session 8 December 15, 1963

• "These dream personalities or fragments indeed have their own consciousness. [...] It must complete its nature according to the dimensions in which it exists, and so the dream personalities or fragments continue to exist whether or not you are aware of them."

• "[...] The personality as you know is composed of energy gestalts. The dreams created by the personality can be considered therefore as a part of the changing personality."

—TES4 Session 173 July 28, 1965

• "The self that you know is but one fragment of your entire identity. These fragment selves are not strung together, however, like beads of a string. [...]"

• "[...] This is the core of your identity, the psychic seed from which you sprang, the multidimensional personality of which you are part."

—Seth Speaks Chapter 1: Session 512, January 27, 1970

"Defined in your terms, a fragment is a consciousness not as developed as your own. The living portions of nature are the result of your own creativity, projections and fragments of your own energy; energy that comes to you from All That Is and goes outward from you, forming its own image manifestations as you form yours."
—SS Chapter 20: Session 582, April 19, 1971

"That is, many fragment personalities do become entities. We are dealing here with a psychic tree however, and the seeds or personalities that do not develop into entities, do not because they do not choose to do so."
—TES2 Session 54 May 18, 1964

If fragment personalities become entities, that seems like a very significant phenomenon.

I have just started reading a book "Minds In Many Pieces: Revealing the Spiritual Side of Multiple Personality Disorder" by Ralph Allison, Ted Schwarz (apparently nothing to do with Seth). If I come across anything relevant in that book, I'll post it here.

I am not an artist, but I have heard that some artists learn to paint "with their right brain". Could that be a personality fragment which is doing the painting?

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:23:34 AM by Sena »

Offline Deb

• Administrator
  • ~We are the black sheep of the Universe.~
    • Like us on Facebook!
Quote from: Sena
Seth mentions personality fragments in several places. I wonder how these are related to the phenomenon of Multiple Personality.

I've often wondered about multiple personality and how that relates to what Seth teaches about the various offshoots (and layers) of the entity, such as incarnations, counterparts and probable realities. Such as are what we see as MPD merely bleed-throughs of some of these aspects of one entity? Personality fragments add another dimension to the mix — but if I'm understanding what Seth said in these quotes fragments seem undeveloped, almost like passing thoughts, as a wisp of smoke eventually dissipates: real in a sense, but not completely organized ("a consciousness not as developed as your own" and "usually it cannot operate on all levels of your physical plane").

I am not an artist, but I have heard that some artists learn to paint "with their right brain". Could that be a personality fragment which is doing the painting?

I do paint, but I feel I am more left brained and so it's an effort for me to quiet down my thoughts and get into that right brain state where I think less and my senses take over, time awareness disappears. I don't know about fragment with regards to that, it feels more to me like there's another aspect of my personality that I'm tapping into, such as there may be a probable self of me that's a successful artist and once in a while I am able to cross over into that me and utilize her talents. The first time I drew a portrait (as an adult art student) I drew an African woman, her hair pulled back in some sort of patterned scarf. It was larger than life, charcoal on a 2' x 3' pad. She was not a person I'd ever seen in my life, not my intended subject even, but it turned out beautifully and I had no idea how I did it. It was like the picture drew itself while I watched it come together. I've long felt that in some other incarnation I'm an artist. That other artist me has helped me paint more than once.

The book you're reading sounds interesting, nice to see that someone has taken a different approach to understanding what's really going on with MPD. I read some of the book reviews and found it interesting that one of the reviewers used the words fragments, entity and reincarnation.

Offline Sena

Quote from: Deb
but if I'm understanding what Seth said in these quotes fragments seem undeveloped, almost like passing thoughts, as a wisp of smoke eventually dissipates:
Deb, I don't think this is necessarily the case.

"Frank Withers was a fragment personality of mine. He will continue, himself, to reincarnate and go his own way. Many of us leave fragment personalities as you leave children. Do you follow me?"
—Seth Speaks Chapter 11: Session 541, July 13, 1970

I read some of the book reviews and found it interesting that one of the reviewers used the words fragments, entity and reincarnation.
I am still on the second chapter, but another concept in the book is "Inner self helper". My understanding is that the healing of an MPD person happens when she gets in touch with her Inner Self Helper.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 09:02:31 PM by Sena »

Offline transient amnesia

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:56:51 PM by transient amnesia »

Offline Deb

• Administrator
  • ~We are the black sheep of the Universe.~
    • Like us on Facebook!
Quote from: Deb
but if I'm understanding what Seth said in these quotes fragments seem undeveloped, almost like passing thoughts, as a wisp of smoke eventually dissipates:
Deb, I don't think this is necessarily the case.

"Frank Withers was a fragment personality of mine. He will continue, himself, to reincarnate and go his own way. Many of us leave fragment personalities as you leave children. Do you follow me?"
—Seth Speaks Chapter 11: Session 541, July 13, 1970

OK I have to admit that I've been mulling over the various stages, levels, forms that consciousness takes, and it just seems so incredibly multitudinous. Unlimited. I mean, so far there are ATI, us, probable selves, incarnations, counterparts, fragments, thought forms, etc. Anyway, I've put together a new board called Glossary of Seth Terms.

I had the idea that maybe a glossary of Seth's terminology would be useful to some, newcomers even, so I spent some time in the wee hours this morning coming up with just a few terms with Seth quotes of explanation.

My hope is that other members here will contribute to the Glossary, and I will update the Index as new topics are added. If anyone notices any errors in my posts there, please let me know, I've had a lot of distracting things going on here recently and I've been a bit Looney Tunes.

Offline transient amnesia

« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 12:56:25 PM by transient amnesia »

Offline Sena

Quote from: transient amnesia
Hi Sena, 
Do you remember I wrote my friend Vasjra had an angry Greek women who threw dinner plates as a inner personality/or who knows what?
TA, I agree there are rare occasions on which throwing dinner plates is the right thing to do. A couple of years ago I said something to a relative of mine, and it appeared that to him what I said was metaphorically a throwing of dinner plates. Since then he has not spoken to me, but I don't regret what I said. I was not angry when I said it, but I felt that the truth needed to be stated.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
The opposite of black:
Twelve divided by two (word):