Time: Why are there 60 minutes?

Started by Deb, March 31, 2018, 12:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

It's those Sumerians again...

"The origins of the sixty-second minute and sixty-minute hour can be traced all the way back to ancient Mesopotamia. In the same way that modern mathematics is a decimal system based on the number ten, the Sumerians mainly used a sexigesimal structure that was based around groupings of 60. This easily divisible number system was later adopted by the ancient Babylonians, who used it make astronomical calculations on the lengths of the months and the year. Base-60 eventually fell out of use, but its legacy still lives on in the measurements of the both hour and the minute. Other remnants of the Sumerian sexigesimal system have survived in the form of spatial measurements such as the 360 degrees in a circle and the 12 inches in a foot."

https://www.history.com/news/history-lists/9-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-ancient-sumerians

and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexagesimal
Like Like x 1 View List

LarryH

This reminds me that a few years ago I came up with a theory of how seconds came to be. I routinely walk about 45 minutes a day and was curious about how I could calculate distance by counting steps. I counted my steps for a known distance and did the math. I had already determined that my gait was 5 feet per two steps. The math resulted in me realizing that every two steps took me exactly one second. I realized that this may have been how marching armies in ancient times were able to tell how far they had traveled. Consider that marching would result in an averaging of a large group's gait, possibly at my 5 feet per two steps. If someone were to keep track of the number of steps, they could have a fairly accurate estimate of distance traveled. 5 X 60 would be 300 ft (or 100 yds) per minute, a nice round number. Now, I have always wondered about the oddly random-seeming number of feet in a mile. So today I thought, I wonder if 5,280 is divisible by 60? It is! 5,280/60=88!
Like Like x 1 View List

Deb

Ha ha Larry, you and I have very different concepts of fun. I have very little brain for math, so I'm impressed that you did that. And the marching, Mile High 5280—I wouldn't have thought of that either. It makes sense that miles are based on the same system as inches and feet. I'm suddenly feeling like the US is way behind the world by not using the metric system. About 4,000 years behind...

LarryH

Quote from: Deb
Ha ha Larry, you and I have very different concepts of fun.
Wait til I get around to attempting to articulate my models of the universe. Yes, I get off on those creative insights, whether or not they are accurate.
Like Like x 1 View List

strangerthings

Quote from: LarryH on March 31, 2018, 03:12:02 PMThis reminds me that a few years ago I came up with a theory of how seconds came to be. I routinely walk about 45 minutes a day and was curious about how I could calculate distance by counting steps. I counted my steps for a known distance and did the math. I had already determined that my gait was 5 feet per two steps. The math resulted in me realizing that every two steps took me exactly one second. I realized that this may have been how marching armies in ancient times were able to tell how far they had traveled. Consider that marching would result in an averaging of a large group's gait, possibly at my 5 feet per two steps. If someone were to keep track of the number of steps, they could have a fairly accurate estimate of distance traveled. 5 X 60 would be 300 ft (or 100 yds) per minute, a nice round number. Now, I have always wondered about the oddly random-seeming number of feet in a mile. So today I thought, I wonder if 5,280 is divisible by 60? It is! 5,280/60=88!

and the word MILE reflects this number with all roman numerals as the E is 5 and V is 5

M = 1000
I = 1
L = 50
E = 5

1000+1+50+5, the total is 1056. 5280 feet divided by 5 = 1056 Feet

teehee

strangerthings

What is even cooler is the reason why we do not use the metric system : P

LarryH

I have always been a huge fan of the metric system. I designed medical devices for over 30 years. Metric is standard in medical devices and practice. In my last job, designing spinal implants, dimensions of those implants were metric, but the company insisted on designing in English, so I was constantly having to do conversions.

Quote from: strangerthings on September 21, 2021, 01:52:27 AMand the word MILE reflects this number with all roman numerals as the E is 5 and V is 5

M = 1000
I = 1
L = 50
E = 5
Strangerthings, interesting about MILE. But since when is E a Roman numeral?
Funny Funny x 1 View List

chasman

I have a theory that,
because so many things are based on 10,

subconsciously, we think that hours are 100 minutes long.

(I think its true for me, anyway.)

this would be a possible explanation for why I misjudge time. sometimes. hahaha

simple example:

I am going to an online class in 3 hours.
subconsciously I think thats 300 minutes from now.

but I really have 180 minutes.
thats 120 minutes (2 hours), less than 300 minutes.

hmmmmm,
I wonder if there's a probable reality where the hours really are 100 minutes.

and what would this mean with respect to all time is simultaneous?

and one more thought,
Einstein's relativity describes how clocks go out of sync, when objects are in motion and also due to a thing called gravitational time dilation.

so this kind of thing does happen in this probable physical reality.

Happy International Day of Peace everyone.

Charlie

Funny Funny x 1 View List

strangerthings

Quote from: LarryH on September 21, 2021, 10:18:29 AMStrangerthings, interesting about MILE. But since when is E a Roman numeral?

Is E 5?
Is V 5?
Is E 5?

: P

There are more words like this.

All encoding things like :

VEnus

V in English is 22
E is 5
nus is to be read backwards as SUN

Venus takes 225 days to revolve around the sun.

UTNAPISHTIM - speaking of Sumerian
MITHS IP ANT U
Myths Pi and You

Crystal
C R YS Tal

See Our Wise Tale
Are you clear? Crystal clear.

LIFE ( In Hebrew Eve means life)
L = 12
I = 9
F = 6
E = 1:5=15 (1+2+3+4+5=15) = O = 0
12,960 years = half of "The Great Year"

25920 is The Great Year
2 = B
5 = E
9 = I
20 = T

In Hebrew (backwards is spells verb) the word "Beit" means house The Great House of the Great Year

ZODIAC
CADOIZ
The pie in the sky

God=26 = Z as in A thru Z = 1 (diameter)
Dess = 4/5/19/19
= 4+19*19 = 365 = O (circumference)
= 5+19*19=366 = O
(and punnily enough ZOO teehee)
The 1 and the 0
Can't have one without the other
and plural "gods" is god S
lots of variety here
and you dont get the serpent (S) as in Egyptian mysteries with out balancing the sacred male and sacred female
Sperm as 1 + Egg as O (maypole) = Q the fertilized egg
logic plus intuiton just like Seth teaches
They go together (left brain + right brain kind of thing)
sperm as 1 you could equate with thoughts beliefs emotions and the womb/egg/imagination of creation as the O

I have tons of these lol
Love it! Love it! x 1 View List

strangerthings

@chasman

I think 360 is 4:00 am/pm lol
3:59 3:60=4:00

silly I know

LarryH

Quote from: strangerthings on September 22, 2021, 12:53:24 AMIs E 5?
Okay, so you were mixing a numerological 5 (fifth letter of the alphabet) with some Roman numerals. That might be a stretch, but I like the creativity.

My favorite one is the numerological ZODIAC backwards being pi. Wow, that would be quite a coincidence if it is not on purpose. I can imagine the person that created the word working backwards from pi. "The Pie in the sky", very creative!

Edit: the etymology of the word 'zodiac' is from earlier French, Greek, and Latin, so the pi connection really is an interesting acausal coincidence (synchronicity).

strangerthings

Quote from: LarryH on September 22, 2021, 08:32:10 AM
Quote from: strangerthings on September 22, 2021, 12:53:24 AMIs E 5?
Okay, so you were mixing a numerological 5 (fifth letter of the alphabet) with some Roman numerals. That might be a stretch, but I like the creativity.

My favorite one is the numerological ZODIAC backwards being pi. Wow, that would be quite a coincidence if it is not on purpose. I can imagine the person that created the word working backwards from pi. "The Pie in the sky", very creative!

Edit: the etymology of the word 'zodiac' is from earlier French, Greek, and Latin, so the pi connection really is an interesting acausal coincidence (synchronicity).

It is all on purpose as far as I can tell but I could be wrong about that!
Roman numerals are used a lot! English and Roman numerals as letters are both interchangebale.

The letter E as it represents silence and makes others long as in the word "Mile" is akin to I plead the fifth! lol

I have been studying words in this way for so long that I in my right mind could not say this was not on purpose !

They to me are teaching tools and I use them a lot when I speak with certain people in a certain way because truths (Sethian truths and others like him) ... these teachings are all throughout language. After all....they are symbols of greater knowledge and only show us a very linear representation until you crack them open and see whats inside!

I even went so far as to find a pattern in English words to Number. I have this whole math project I have been working on and it is simply AMAZING to me! I was guided to it via intuion, spontaneity, and my ... Entity.

I tell you what.... playing with words and seeing their various constructs really helps expand the mind from a linear point of view into a multi dimensional view because ALL words are multi dimensional hands down. With all the play I have done with them there is no way I accept they are not multi dimensional and dont carry our truths with them.

At face value they are just lines and circles (1 and 0) asymetrical and symmetrical. Patterns patterns patterns

woohoo!

strangerthings

H IG H
H 17 H
H Q H

Q the fertilized egg

teehee

H is 8 and Eight starts with EIG which is EGG!  and abbreviated HT is height!

Lore past tense to me is Lord.
Word past tense from wore.
We wear the word is like saying "souls in flesh" and "gods in training"

"ALREADY HAPPENED"

Inner words and inner conversations. Expressing your words... comes from inside.

So your story is what you create in your world. We literally WEAR the WORD.
Your "lore" is your LORD.

We wear the already happened!

You are the lord of your lore. ;D  8)