Author Topic: Synchronistic Events  (Read 8335 times)

Offline Deb

• Administrator
  • ~We are the black sheep of the Universe.~
    • Like us on Facebook!
Quote from: LarryH
Wyland is from Michigan and went to the same art school that I went to in Detroit (now named College for Creative Studies). We had some of the same teachers.

Hah! Another coincidence?

Offline jbseth

Hi LarryH,

Thanks for sharing.  That is really cool.

Back in 2008, while in Honolulu, my wife and I got the opportunity to see him and meet him in person. He was at his studio in Honolulu, on a Friday evening and while their he painted a whale picture in about 45 minutes in front of the audience. It was impressive to see just how fast he can paint a first rate picture.

Back in the 1990's he came to Newport, Oregon and painted a large (maybe 50 foot) mural on the side of a building. This mural consisted of a picture of grey whales, which travel up and down the Oregon coast from Alaska to Mexico, twice a year. Once down and once back. It was awesome to watch him paint this mural. 

I've read, that he says that he see's the whole image in his mind's eye visually, while he is painting. That's pretty awesome.

-jbseth

Offline jbseth

Hi All,

I was reading, “The Nature of the Psyche” the other day and came across a term that Seth uses in this book called “significances”. I think that what Seth has to say here about significances, has a lot to do with how synchronous events actually occur. Here he gives an “Aunt Sarah” example of how events can occur that is quite interesting. Like many of the topics that Seth discusses, this discussion of “significances” gets kind of deep and as a result I had to read through it several times to grasp the significance, no pun intended,  :), of it all. (Note: The usage of bold font below is mine.)

NotP, Chapter 9, Session 788

Dictation: Basically, events have nothing to do with what you think of as cause and effect. This is perhaps apparent to some degree when you study dream events, for there the kind of continuity you are used to, connecting events, largely vanishes.

Instead events are built up, so to speak, from significances. But let us forget that term for a moment and consider association, with which you are already familiar, since your stream of consciousness operates in that fashion. By its very nature each consciousness is a particular, peculiar, and unique focus of awareness which will experience any possible realities through its own characteristics.

It also “stamps” or “impresses” the universe with its own imprint. No portion of the universe is inactive or passive, regardless of its seeming organization or its seeming lack of organization. Each consciousness, then, impresses the universe in its own fashion. Its very existence sets up a kind of significance, in whose light the rest of the universe will be interpreted. The universe knows itself through such significances. Each consciousness is endowed with creativity of a multidimensional nature, so that it will seek to create as many possible realities for itself as it can, using its own significance as a focus to draw into its experience whatever events are possible for it from the universe itself. It will then attract events from the universe, even as its own existence imprints the universe as an event with the indelible stamp of its own nature.

And how do “significances” operate?

Significances fall or happen in certain patterns, and when these become very obvious they appear as cause and effect. They are simply heavy-handed significances. Your associative processes and habits are perhaps the closest examples that can give clues of how significances operate. Even then, however, associations deal with the passage of time, and basically significances do not. You might think of your Aunt Sarah, for example, and in a few moments the associative process might bring you images of periods in the past when you visited your aunt, of her friends and neighbors, the articles in her house, and episodes connected with your relationship.

(9:49.) At the same time Aunt Sarah, unbeknown to you, might pick up a blue vase, one that you had just seen in your mind as belonging on a shelf in her living room. Touching the vase, your Aunt Sarah might think of the person who gave it to her, now on the other side of the continent. That person, perhaps thinking of buying a present for someone, might settle upon a vase in a flash of inspiration, or suddenly begin humming a song with the name “Sarah” in the title, or possibly even think of your aunt. If on the other hand any opposing associations existed anywhere along the line, the “chain” of association could be broken. The last lady might consider a vase, for example, but reject the idea. Because of the time element, it seems to you that the first episode caused the others, and that your first association concerning your aunt brought about the “following” events.

The inner significances, however, the associations, existed all at once, to be tuned in to at any point of time. They had their reality basically apart from time, even though they appeared within it.

Actually the three sets of events could easily occur to the three people at once, and if no normal communication happened no one would be the wiser. The inner tapestry of events deals with just this kind of association. Emotional intensities and significances compose the nature of events. In dreams you work with the kind of intensities involved, exploring multitudinous significances. These are like charged emotional patterns, formed of your own highly personal emotions and intents.

Using such significances as yardsticks, you accept or reject probable events. You imprint the universe with your own significance, and using that as a focus you draw from it, or attract, those events that fit your unique purposes and needs. In doing so, to some extent you multiply the creative possibilities of the universe, forming from it a personal reality that would otherwise be absent, in those terms; and in so doing you also add in an immeasurable fashion to the reality of all other consciousness by increasing the bank of reality from which all consciousness draws.

[... 2 paragraphs ...]

Now: There is no such thing, basically, as random motion. There is no such thing as chaos. The universe, by whatever name and in whatever manifestation, attains its reality through ordered sequences of significances.

- jbseth

Offline Sena

Quote from: jbseth
Each consciousness, then, impresses the universe in its own fashion. Its very existence sets up a kind of significance, in whose light the rest of the universe will be interpreted.
jbseth, thanks for this. This is very original teaching from Seth.

Offline Deb

• Administrator
    • Like us on Facebook!
Small synchron event but a hit as far as I'm concerned.

I have been emailing with someone I met on this forum for maybe a couple of years. We've never met in person.

Well a couple of weeks ago I had a dream that I was told I'd been enrolled in a writing course. I was really surprised (and a little dismayed) because it's not something I am interested in and didn't remember signing myself up. But then I thought about it for a moment and figured I'd give it a shot, who knows, I might enjoy it.

That morning I got an email from this pen pal friend saying she was very excited about a writing course that she had just started. She had a great class and was very excited about it. Because we've never talked about writing, writing classes or courses, I couldn't help think it was more than just a coincidence. Fun stuff!

https://consciousreminder.com/2018/01/09/dream-telepathy-studies-prove-humans-can-communicate-dreaming/

Online LarryH

Yesterday I watched a Netflix DVD – a 2015 Norwegian disaster film called The Wave. Earlier in the day, I stopped by the library and picked up another movie that was at the bottom of my Netflix queue of 34 movies (which I organize by number of stars assigned by Netflix based on my prior ratings, highest first). This was an obscure 2016 American independent film-noir sci-fi movie. I had other choices, but why would I on impulse decide to take out the lowest-rated movie on my long list? At the beginning of The Wave DVD, as usual, I watched the previews of other movies. The first preview was of the obscure movie that I had just picked up at the library. At first, I thought that I had popped in the wrong movie. After watching The Wave, I popped in the movie from the library. The first preview shown was of The Wave. So, two obscure movies of different genres, made in different years and from different countries, each including the others’ previews, watched back-to-back, was a nice synchronicity in itself. But I haven’t mentioned the name of the second movie until now: Synchronicity. I have no idea why it had that name. The story did not really have examples of what I would call synchronicity. After the movie, I watched an interview with the female co-star, and she said that they discovered that she and the male co-star had gone to the same high school in Atlanta, which she referred to as “a nice synchronicity”.

Offline jbseth

Hi LarryH,

That's a nice set of sync events, the 2 movies and their previews, and then the title of the second movie along with the male and female costars who both attended the same high school.

I just noticed that this topic has 155 entries, that's awesome too.

- jbseth

Offline Deb

• Administrator
    • Like us on Facebook!
Quote from: LarryH
two obscure movies of different genres, made in different years and from different countries, each including the others’ previews, watched back-to-back, was a nice synchronicity in itself. But I haven’t mentioned the name of the second movie until now: Synchronicity.

Awesome, that made me laugh out loud. I LOVE this stuff! BTW how were the movies?

Online LarryH

Quote from: Deb
BTW how were the movies?
I rated The Wave with 4 stars out of 5 because I couldn't give it 3.5 stars. I love foreign movies, mostly because we are only exposed to the best. Some people don't like subtitles, but I don't mind them at all, and I like hearing the foreign languages and trying to pick out the words similar to English. The movie is a suspense thriller centered around the collapse of the side of a mountain into a fjord, causing a tidal wave that threatens a small resort town. The focus is mostly on one family, including the scientist who was the first to warn of the impending disaster and his wife and two kids. Great special effects and very suspenseful.

I rated Synchronicity with 2 stars. It was a little hard to follow for the first half. It was compared to Bladerunner in the reviews, but that is being overly generous. The music did remind me of that in Bladerunner, but by a different composer (similar to Vangelis, but not as good). All of the scenes, every set, every building, every room, all the clothes were grey or close to it, and there were always glaring light sources, evoking a harsh, somber mood. The focus is invention of a time travel device by a young scientist, the manipulating man funding the experiments, and the scientist's love interest whose motives and allegiances are unclear through most of the movie.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 07:46:20 PM by LarryH »

Offline dougdi

Online LarryH

Very cool, dougdi - thanks!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Jane Robert's husband's last name:
Twelve divided by two (word):