Seth on Darwin and evolution

Started by Sena, August 20, 2018, 10:59:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please tick one of the following choices

I accept that Darwinism or Neo-Darwinism can fully explain the evolution of all species including conscious ones.
0 (0%)
I accept Intelligent Design of species by God.
0 (0%)
I accept Seth's views on evolution.
4 (100%)
None of the above.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Sena

There is currently a debate going on between supporters of Darwinian evolution (mainly scientists) and fundamentalist Christians who believe in Intelligent Design by a Personal God. Where does Seth stand in this debate? Seth presents a very interesting third alternative:

"Reality is far more diverse, far richer and unutterable than you can presently suppose or comprehend. Evolution, as you think of it and as it is categorized by your scientists, represents but one probable line of evolution, the one in which, again, you are presently immersed. (9:35.) There are, therefore, many other equally valid, equally real evolutionary developments that have occurred and are occurring and will occur, all within other probable systems of physical reality. The diverse, endless possibilities of development possible could never appear within one slender framework of reality. With splendid innocence and exuberant pride, you imagine that the evolutionary system as you know it is the only one, that physically there can be no more. Now within the physical reality that you know, there are hints and clues as to the nature of other physical realities. There are, latent, within your own physical forms other senses, unused, that could have come to the front but in your probability did not. Now I have been speaking of earthly developments, realities therefore clustered about earthly aspects as you know them. No evolutionary line is a dead one. Therefore if in your system it disappears, it emerges within another. All probable materializations of life and consciousness have their day, and create those conditions within which they can flourish; and their day, in your terms, is eternal." (from "Seth Speaks: The Eternal Validity of the Soul (A Seth Book)" by Jane Roberts)

From the Kindle edition: http://amzn.eu/7oKHA67

Seth emphasizes the role of precognition in evolution, which is entirely absent in both the Darwinian model and in Intelligent Design:

"In thinking in terms of consecutive time, however, evolution does not march from the past into the future. Instead, the species is precognitively aware of those changes it wants to make, and from the "future" it alters the "present" state of the chromosomes and genes to bring about in the probable future the specific changes it desires. Both above and below your usual conscious focus, then, time is experienced in an entirely different fashion, and is constantly manipulated, as physically you manipulate matter."
—Unknown Reality, Volume 1 Section 2: Session 690 March 21, 1974

What about the evolution of consciousness? I find it impossible to accept the Darwinian view that consciousness can "evolve" from inanimate matter. I find Seth's view much more acceptable:

"He [Darwin] spent his last years proving it (the evolution of consciousness), and yet it has no real validity. It has a validity within very limited perspectives only; for consciousness does, indeed, evolve form. Form does not evolve consciousness. It is according to when you come into the picture, and what you choose to observe ... Consciousness did not come from atoms and molecules scattered by chance through the universe.... Now, if you had all been really paying attention to what I have been saying for some time about the simultaneous nature of time and existence, then you would have known that the theory of evolution is as beautiful a tale as the theory of Biblical creation. Both are quite handy, and both are methods of telling stories, and both might seem to agree within their own systems, and yet, in larger respects they cannot be realities...." (from "The "Unknown" Reality, Volume Two (A Seth Book)" by Jane Roberts, Robert F. Butts)

From the Kindle edition: http://amzn.eu/aJ2hbV5

What is exciting about Seth's view as I understand it, is that each of us can have an influence on the future evolution of the human race. By being a member of this forum you are tilting the course of evolution in a particular way.

jbseth

Hi Sena,

What a great topic.

I was going to point out that in Seth's terms, evolution can't occur in one specific timeline, as given by Darwin, given the nature of Seth's concepts of "Simultaneous Time" or the "Spacious Present"; but you've already covered that very nicely.   :)

Personally, I think that a great term that describes Seth's explanation of All That Is and evolution is "Intelligent Design"; though here I'm definitely not using this term in the way that it is used by the biblical creationists.

jbseth

jbseth

Hi Sena,

I really like this Seth idea from your post too. It's really thought provoking.

"In thinking in terms of consecutive time, however, evolution does not march from the past into the future. Instead, the species is precognitively aware of those changes it wants to make, and from the "future" it alters the "present" state of the chromosomes and genes to bring about in the probable future the specific changes it desires."

jbseth

Deb

An exciting topic for me in a few ways. How can anyone not love Seth? His explanations here make so much sense to me on the deepest level. There is intelligent design, but we are the gods doing the designing.

Quote from: Sena
the species is precognitively aware of those changes it wants to make, and from the "future" it alters the "present" state of the chromosomes and genes to bring about in the probable future the specific changes it desires.

Scientists are just now figuring this out in the study of epigenetics. In his book Spontaneous Evolution: Our Positive Future and a Way to Get There and his other books (Biology of Belief/Wisdom of Your Cells), Bruce Lipton talks about his experiments as a stem cell biologist in the 60s and realizing that the environment affected genetic expression. Basically identical stem cells were placed in separate petri dishes. The environments were slightly different. Some grew into bone cells, some muscle, some fat. In the case of humans, our beliefs about the environment affect the outcome of our genes/bodies/health. I think it was in Spontaneous Evolution that Bruce talks about a lab experiment where bacteria were observed changing their genetic makeup in order to adapt to a foreign environment—they created digestive enzymes in order to digest lactase in their environment when there was nothing else to sustain them. It was not a case of survival of the fittest over long periods of time, it was intentional, spontaneous change. This is mentioned in the linked article. "This experiment has been replicated many times and they have not found a better explanation than this obvious fact – that even primitive organisms can evolve consciously."

Seth's explanation that "form does not evolved consciousness... consciousness evolves form" makes perfect sense. I can't see it any other way. I guess this statement takes "you make your own reality" to every level. As above, so below, from the smallest CU to a rock, tree, cell, human, planet.

Seth: "Now within the physical reality that you know, there are hints and clues as to the nature of other physical realities. There are, latent, within your own physical forms other senses, unused, that could have come to the front but in your probability did not."

This is the kind of stuff that intrigues me. What hints and clues am I missing? Very mysterious, and it makes me want to know more.

Coincidentally, I started a Seth On topic about our spiritual evolution. So not related to this topic, but still a coincidence.

Sena

Deb, thanks for recommending this article:

https://wakeup-world.com/2012/03/26/the-science-of-epigenetics-how-our-minds-can-reprogram-our-genes/

"that even primitive organisms can evolve consciously."

The idea that consciousness is universal is certainly there in Seth. I'll think differently about the fish in our pond!

Deb

From Ejay today on FB, I found Seth's references to "changes in the physical structure" and "physical brain will develop" related to this topic on evolution.

"Give us a moment. (Pause.) The brain is capable (underlined) of interpreting and transmitting far more inner information than it does. It is the ego's idea of what is possible, the ego's concept of reality, that determines in a large manner whether or not the brain will interpret any particular data. Now some inner data cannot be perceived or translated by the brain, practically speaking, but as minds develop so the physical brain will develop, and in some individuals to a large extent this has occurred. Changes in the physical structure of the species will always follow inner need, and the inner need is anticipated from the beginning of the seed. Therefore large portions of the brain, now unused, lie latent for these developments. So-called psychics put some of these portions to work. Otherwise information such as ours would not be received clearly enough to be understood. To a large extent you create what you see or perceive. This does not mean you are the creator in that respect. There are many realities of whose existence you are ignorant, but they nevertheless exist."

Roberts, Jane. The Early Sessions: Book 9 of The Seth Material (Kindle Locations 5743-5749). New Awareness Network, Inc.. Kindle Edition.
Session 469.

PS
It looks like Seth is the unchallenged winner of the poll!

Sena

Quote from: Deb
but as minds develop so the physical brain will develop, and in some individuals to a large extent this has occurred.
Perhaps becoming interested in the Seth teachings is an indication of how far the physical brain has developed, or in which direction. Some people may have developed great mathematical ability, for instance, but be unable to comprehend the Seth books.