Seth's exercises for changing your beliefs

Started by Dave, August 10, 2018, 03:41:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Hello everyone! Hope you are having a great day. I have been an Abraham Hicks follower for quite some time. I recently found Seth's material and it really got my attention. I haven't read a book yet, but I'm gonna order one soon. By reading some blogs online, i came to the conclusion, that you have to change your beliefs first in order to feel better and have positive thoughts about a certain subject in general. If it's true, then would you please recommend me the tools that Seth has offered? According to Abraham Hicks material, your beliefs can be changed gradually by looking for thoughts that feel true to you yet better and so on. I was quite surprised that you can actually change your beliefs without finding better feeling thoughts etc. I'm gonna try the hypnosis exercise (the one where you think a certain statement for 5-10 mins only once a day). Also, would you please recommend me a book where i can find every single process that Seth has offered? Thank you.

Deb

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum! I found Seth via Abraham Hicks and took to Seth like a duck to water. Abraham Hicks has nice messages, but Seth has all the details and the inside story... so much more! I think of AH as Seth Lite. :)

Quote from: Dave
If it's true, then would you please recommend me the tools that Seth has offered?

Well, well, you have come to the right place! Go to this topic: https://speakingofseth.com/index.php?topic=752.0 and there are two different links to download a complete compilation of Seth's exercises. It's free. If you have a problem with either of the links, I can put one up myself. The PDF is 123 pages, 586KB. Paul M. Helfrich, Ph.D. made it (he's a Seth pro, has written a book about Seth). The compilation is very nicely done. It has exercises for more than belief work, so the Table of Contents is worth its weight in gold. Actually, the TOC may give you an idea which Seth book you'd want to start out with, but Seth Speaks is a good bet.

I don't think there is one specific book that offers every single process, other than the compilation I mentioned. I just finished reading Seth Speaks again and enjoyed it more the second time, it introduces the reader to what it's all about (and it's not the Hokey Pokey). My two all-time favorites are Nature of Personal Reality and The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events. I also have a few extra copies of a few of the books (here) that I could mail to you (or anyone) for the only cost of postage.

I have to admit that I have not yet read a Seth book that wasn't my "favorite," lol.

Dave

Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate your help!

T.M.

Hi and Welcome Dave :)

There's a channel on YouTube that reads most of Seth's main books for free. He just reads the sessions, not the notes.

Tim Hart Hart. Just click on playlists to see the books. The playlist will automatically read the sessions in order too
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1lqpMK7Fj9menoMhlWmQ_w

Deb

Quote from: T.M.
There's a channel on YouTube that reads most of Seth's main books for free. He just reads the sessions, not the notes.

Thanks for adding that T.M. I downloaded all of what Tim has produced so far, listened to Seth Speaks and now reading NOPR again. Tim does a great job narrating, I can't imagine how much he has devoted to this.

T.M.

Hi Deb,

I have most of the books, and many times look at the chapters and sessions description, find what I'm interested in, and then put on the corresponding vid from his channel. For me it's a good study aid combo :)

jbseth

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the group.

Hey if you're looking into changing some beliefs, then the Seth book, "The Nature of Personality Reality", is a great place to start. This book is all about how beliefs effect us and how we can change them.

jbseth

Dave

Thank you guys so much for your help! I'm definitely gonna check the YT channel out and order the "The Nature of Personality Reality" soon. Also, I'm currently going thru the book of processes that Deb gave to me (once again thank you so much!). I kinda got used to live the "Abraham way" but i noticed that Seth doesn't talk about big vibrational jumps? Abraham told us that if you feel despair or hopefulness then visualization is not gonna help and you need to go general and so on. I guess it's totally fine to use such tools as visualization (I noticed that Seth offers it a lot in a different ways) even if you feel despair about your desire?

T.M.

Hi Dave,

I really like Abraham Hicks too. I think of them as Seth light, lol. I go with whatever works for me. If visualization works for you, go with it!  I don't visualize often. I'm starting to work on those skills.
I think they have different lingo.
Sometimes I use A.B. techniques, and sometimes a more Sethonian approach.

Dave

Thank you for letting me know T.M! The reason why i'm asking is because I kinda lost faith in Abraham after they (or Esther) started to kick people off from hotseat. If they were a vibrational match then why would they do that? Kinda weird, but the main reason is because I'm not very successful at manifesting stuff by using Abraham's teachings. I decided to "forget" about it for awhile and try Seth's approach only. I've read somewhere about a certain process where you basically look for all your unwanted beliefs and they automatically will start to disappear and the new positive ones would appear,but I haven't reach to the explanation of this process in the book yet.

Deb

Thank you for letting me know T.M! The reason why i'm asking is because I kinda lost faith in Abraham after they (or Esther) started to kick people off from hotseat.

OMG, me too!!! How shaming that is! Once I got into Seth I was convinced that Esther was a fake. She and Jerry had read all of the Seth books and Esther seems to have an almost photographic memory, she's very sharp. I'd been to maybe 3-4 of her workshops, even volunteered at a couple.  But I'm grateful they pointed me to Seth, I never looked back after that. Seth can be too involved and deep for a lot of people, AH has a less complicated presentation of the basics so appeals to a larger audience.

I guess it's totally fine to use such tools as visualization (I noticed that Seth offers it a lot in a different ways) even if you feel despair about your desire?

I remember the "going broader" technique offered by Abraham, logically it makes sense. Seth is more about changing beliefs because our beliefs are the filters through which we experience and form reality. He points out that what we think of as facts (or reality) are really beliefs and Esther says beliefs are just thoughts that we think over and over. Both true. Seth does suggest some visualization, but also stresses our beliefs are the underlying cause of whatever is troubling us. (Just like a doctor giving us pills is managing symptoms, not causes.) Here's a good one from Seth, the second paragraph has always stuck with me. A real eye-opener:

"You are setting out to experience the most fulfilled reality that you can. To do this you have, hopefully, begun to examine your beliefs. You may want others to change. In doing so you begin with yourself. I told you (in the 619th session) to imagine a game in which you see yourself acting in line with the new desired belief. As you do so, see yourself affecting others in the new fashion.

[skip ahead]

"Once more, if you think of daily life as an ever-moving three-dimensional painting with you as the artist, then you will realize that as your beliefs change so will your experience. You must accept the idea completely, however, that your beliefs form your experience. Discard those beliefs that are not bringing you those effects you want. In the meantime you will often be in the position of telling yourself that something is true in the face of physical data that seems completely contradictory. You may say, "I live amid abundance and am free from want," while your eyes tell you that the desk is piled with bills. You must realize that you are the one who produced that "physical evidence" that still faces you, and you did so through your beliefs.

"So as you alter the belief, the physical evidence will gradually begin to "prove" your new belief as faithfully as it did your old one. But you must work with your own ideas. While there are general categories of beliefs, and general reasons for them, you must become personally aware of your own, for no one person is completely like any other. The old beliefs served a purpose and fulfilled a need.

"As mentioned earlier you may have believed that of itself poverty was more spiritual than abundance, or that you were basically unworthy and should therefore punish yourself by being poor. (See the 614th session in Chapter Two, for instance.)  Nature of Personal Reality, Session 622

There's a really useful Seth search engine that was put together by a young programmer. https://findingseth.com/ Sometimes just for fun I search on a word to see all of Seth's comments regarding a specific topic. Not ALL of the text from the books is shown, he's worried about copyright problems.

If you recognize a belief that is limiting you, you could just reject it. That would certainly be freeing. Seth also says there are certain core beliefs that we have that are a sort of platform for other offshoot beliefs. Destroy the core and the dependent beliefs would just fall away. He also says our beliefs are not hidden from us, we are just blind to them because we see them as facts. But everything in our lives is a result and evidence of our beliefs, so if we look at it all (our surroundings, relationships, financial conditions, physical condition, etc.) we can see what our beliefs are and go from there.

There are some tools out there too (such as these worksheets https://speakingofseth.com/index.php?topic=1148, https://speakingofseth.com/index.php?topic=1179) if you prefer putting things down on paper. AH has one too, a focus wheel.

T.M.

Hi Dave,

A.H. encourages just looking at the positive. That has its place and is fine.

Seth encourages getting to the root of the matter and understanding, and dealing with it.
Which can mean acknowledging and working with one's less than positive elements. From my perspective :)

Dave

Thank you guys for your responses! I'm currently listening to the "audio book" that T.M provided. I noticed that it's kinda different from Abraham and i like the fact that you need to change your belief first and it's actually possible to do no matter how you feel (as you probably know, Abraham told that that you can't do big vibrational jumps and that you have to feel better gradually). I'm trying to apply the hypnosis exercise, but i was wondering about the fact that sometimes my negative belief shows up in the middle of the day and i don't know what to do about it, and since Seth recommended to do the hypnosis exercise 10 minutes per day only, but i guess i'm gonna find out what to do soon since Deb provided other links that could help me.

Quote from: Deb

If you recognize a belief that is limiting you, you could just reject it. That would certainly be freeing. Seth also says there are certain core beliefs that we have that are a sort of platform for other offshoot beliefs. Destroy the core and the dependent beliefs would just fall away. He also says our beliefs are not hidden from us, we are just blind to them because we see them as facts. But everything in our lives is a result and evidence of our beliefs, so if we look at it all (our surroundings, relationships, financial conditions, physical condition, etc.) we can see what our beliefs are and go from there.

That's what i wanted to know which is how exactly do we reject it or destroy the core? I guess that's where Seth's exercises comes into place (such as hypnosis). But what do we do if we did the exercise before going to work and then our negative belief about it shows up later? Just ignore it?

Once again, thank you guys!

Dave

Quote from: Deb
OMG, me too!!! How shaming that is! Once I got into Seth I was convinced that Esther was a fake. She and Jerry had read all of the Seth books and Esther seems to have an almost photographic memory, she's very sharp. I'd been to maybe 3-4 of her workshops, even volunteered at a couple.  But I'm grateful they pointed me to Seth, I never looked back after that. Seth can be too involved and deep for a lot of people, AH has a less complicated presentation of the basics so appeals to a larger audience.

Indeed. But i'm still grateful for it because that's how i found out about LOA in general.

T.M.

QuoteBut what do we do if we did the exercise before going to work and then our negative belief about it shows up later? Just ignore it?
Once again, thank you guys!

Hi Dave,

I was listening to The Nature of Personal Reality last night, and I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is in Chapter 3

Dave

Thank you so much for your response! I'm currently on - The Nature of Personal Reality - Chapter 4 (3 of 3). I'm gonna back to Chapter 3 then. I have a question though. What does he mean exactly in this Chapter (i'm talking about The Nature of Personal Reality - Chapter 4 (3 of 3)). Does it mean that we just have to find all our beliefs about a certain subject and change it? For example: " i'm fat" since this belief is not beneficial one, then we have to say something like: "I'm skinny and attractive", but if we still feel negative, then we need to find other beliefs that relates to this one, right? Like: "I'm fat" -> "i'm skinny and attractive" -> "it's hard to lose weight" -> "i have my desired weight and it's easy to lose weight in general" and so on. Did i get it right?

T.M.

Hi Dave,

In chp 3 Seth mentioned it will take time for the new belief to settle in. It's been awhile since I've gotten into the Nature of Personal Reality. I'm not really sure how to answer your question.
I think it takes awhile for a person to get a feel for themselves when they start examining their beliefs. It did for me.
I try to find the beliefs behind a problem, and then give it a few months for the new belief to settle in. If in the few months I'm not seeing or feeling any improvement, then I go back and start doing it over.
I know Seth used being fat as an example, for me I would know straight away that's a self-esteem issue, and I would look for my beliefs in regards to that. I know once I've truly found the source of a problem, I can literally feel the relief.

I hope this helps and answers your question,
I've read Seth off and on for years. It's only recently I'm actually doing the exercises he suggests, so in that regards, I'm new to this too :)

Dave

Thank you so much T.M! I read a story from this guy that had success with his height - https://speakingofseth.com/index.php?topic=1185.0 so i decided to try to follow the same path and combine Abraham's and Seth's exercises together. Once again thank you and have a great day!

T.M.

Hi Dave,

Your welcome :)  That's kind of how I do it too. Combine Seth with other teachers. Sometimes A.H. helps me greatly.
Especially if I get really stressed, I watch a few vids with Esther, and relax. She has a way of calming me down. Then at night when I have more time I take a deeper look at whatever was bothering me, and try uses Seth's suggestions for getting at the root of it.

Dave

Quote from: T.M.
Then at night when I have more time I take a deeper look at whatever was bothering me, and try uses Seth's suggestions for getting at the root of it.
What do you mean by "getting at the root of it"? Do you mean that you basically search for all your negative beliefs? If so, what do you do with it? Do you just look for them and after finding them you just forget about it or do you replace them with some positive statements? I heard about this process, but i'm not sure if i understand it completely.

T.M.

Hi Dave,

No I don't search for all my negative beliefs. I find anymore that what negativity I need to deal with is usually right in front of me.
I usually try to review how strongly I react to something, I've got things I'm working on. If I have too strong of a reaction, I know I have more work to do in a given area, or I haven't worked through a given issue as much as I thought I had.

I don't do much to replace with positive statements, though I should. I notice when I've really worked through an issue, I just don't think about it much anymore, and it quits being in my life, or presenting itself to me, as challenges I need to deal with.

For example, lots of people new to "thoughts create things" jump straight away onto positive affirmations. I did for years.
Only to find little if any improvement. In fact, I'm just plain burnt out on affirmations.
Say they are affirming money. "All the wealth I need flows to me effortlessly" only to find the only thing flowing their way in abundance is problems with money.
The problem isn't the money. The problem may well be the person doesn't believe they are worthy enough to have money.
So it's not a money problem, it's a self-esteem problem. Until the self-esteem issues get dealt with, all the positive affirmations in the world aren't going to accomplish anything!

A lot of times, people hide their true feelings about themselves, and don't even really realize it. It's takes bravery and determination to go in depth and face oneself. And deal with the issues of the shadow self.

So that's what I mean about getting to the root of things. Sometimes a person thinks their problems are rooted in A, only to discover later, they are really rooted in B.

It's not always the case. Speaking only for myself I can tell by my reactions to a given event which is the case. Something surface level, that will clear up quickly; or something I need to look at on a much deeper level.

If it's a surface problem, then straight on being happy, focusing on the moment, is all it takes.
If it's deeper, then, I don't care how much positivity a person trys to focus on, it won't work.
On a certain level, excessive emphasis on the positive, is an affirmation of the problem itself!
And will only compound the negative energy effects. Imo.

Dave

I'm so sorry for misunderstanding, but would you please clarify one thing. How do you work in a given area? like what exactly do you do? For example, let's say that i have a belief that money doesn't flow to me because i think that i'm not a smart person. I identified my current belief, but what should i do with it? Should i use affirmations like: "i'm a smart person" and so on? Thank you so much for the help that you offered to me T.M. I really appreciate it.

T.M.

Hi Dave,

I just kinda let go of it. I try to watch my thoughts, feelings and emotions. And then watch what events happen. Tricky though.
I don't know that I would recommend it to others. I can't get real over bearing with myself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is you will get used to your issues, and the way your mind works, and from there craft your own way. There's a lot of trial and error, at least for me, and still is. I'm still hit and miss with money. There are times amazing things have happened, that I never would have dreamed possible.

For me if I make an affirmation that is directly opposite, like your example, for me it would still be affirming the original problem.
I personally would word it something like, God only creates individuals, and I'm happy with the person that I've become, and am becoming. Something to that effect. I personally don't take the affirmation route.

I try to induce a feeling. Once I've identified what I think it is, at night before going to bed, I run through all the angles of it that come to mind, then make peace with it. If I've done this right, I can feel the energy lift. And after I'm usually mentally attracted to something else. The event and energy associated with it, is pretty much gone. If it does come back, I just rerun the understanding I've gotten of it, the peace I've made with it, and off it goes again, usually.

This is just what I've found to work for me. I'm still learning. Like I said I've read Seth but never really sat down and consistently done the exercises. I'm still refining this technique.

I guess that's what I go for, is trying to induce a state of feeling a certain way.

Give it time, and you will figure out what works for you

Dave

I see what you mean. I'm basically in the same boat because i was trying Abraham's approach such as "go general". Even though i was able to feel better, but bad stuff still would appear in my life, so i came to the conclusion, that going general is not exactly enough, since i used to practice it a lot with every single thing in my life. I had to do some stuff today, but i felt the negativity about it because i thought it's gonna end up just like before (not so good), but i decided to find positive aspects about this situation and appreciate them. I was very specific and to my amazement it worked out pretty amazing today. I really didn't expect something like this to happen. I just noticed that i'm only able to get manifestations when i imagine  or just being specific about something by using other exercises/processes, but then i notice that i don't have something "big" that i want and get discouraged. Also, i read some success stories recently on The Secret's website, and i noticed that some people say that it's hard for them to believe in their visualizations or affirmations at first, but they just keep going and sooner or later they start to believe in it. So i guess it's indeed can take some time to accept a new belief, but i'm glad that it's possible to do by being specific, and use something like Seth's hypnosis exercise, and don't worry about the fact that i feel negative about the statements that i use, since i know that it's gonna take some time to accept it. Once again, Thank you T.M.  :)

T.M.

Hi Dave,

There's a lady called Louis Hay. She passed a little while ago at 90ish. She was really a pioneer in all this. Amazing lady with an amazing story. I would recommend anything she has written. I studied using her books and tapes.
She really has a good grasp on how thoughts and beliefs work, as well as the conscious and subconscious mind works together.
I can't find enough good things to say about her. She highly endorses Seth too. She's also good at explaining why affirmations do and don't work and why.

This vid is one of my favorites. I've wore out the CD. :)
I'm going to listen to it tonight while I'm going to sleep.

101 Power Thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83a8OXmiSV4

Dave

Thank you so much! I'm gonna check it out for sure.

Neo

I see what you mean. I'm basically in the same boat because i was trying Abraham's approach such as "go general". Even though i was able to feel better, but bad stuff still would appear in my life, so i came to the conclusion, that going general is not exactly enough, since i used to practice it a lot with every single thing in my life. I had to do some stuff today, but i felt the negativity about it because i thought it's gonna end up just like before (not so good), but i decided to find positive aspects about this situation and appreciate them. I was very specific and to my amazement it worked out pretty amazing today. I really didn't expect something like this to happen. I just noticed that i'm only able to get manifestations when i imagine  or just being specific about something by using other exercises/processes, but then i notice that i don't have something "big" that i want and get discouraged. Also, i read some success stories recently on The Secret's website, and i noticed that some people say that it's hard for them to believe in their visualizations or affirmations at first, but they just keep going and sooner or later they start to believe in it. So i guess it's indeed can take some time to accept a new belief, but i'm glad that it's possible to do by being specific, and use something like Seth's hypnosis exercise, and don't worry about the fact that i feel negative about the statements that i use, since i know that it's gonna take some time to accept it. Once again, Thank you T.M.  :)

Hi!
"Going general" does work if you are actually able to shift your focus into other more neutral or positive areas where you haven't basically clouded everything regarding that subject with negative thinking (which becomes beliefs). However, if you are not able to change your beliefs through the merely positive route (and this is most of the time, even though Abraham's tips do work, I do think they are not as comprehensive as they could be), it can be helpful to go and acknowledge the negative beliefs that are chasing you down. This is especially the case if you are having trouble with negative thoughts or emotions that follow you everywhere or on the daily, as that is a sign they are important for you to look at. The funny thing is, we can sometimes try to deny all of those negative beliefs or think that they are not there, or that we are not able to examine them, as it might hurt to much or perhaps you just don't believe in your own power. If that is the case, acknowledge those beliefs first.
There are a myriad ways to examine your belief structures and Seth has mentioned some in his books, however you can come up with whatever works for you!

One simple thing that works for me is that I just start listing all of the negative beliefs that I do have, and when writing them out, I feel how that statement feels in my body. For example, I used to think that there is something wrong with me and that I had ruined myself and was thus not as good or whole as I used to be, and when I acknowledged that belief I felt it in my body as a fear, that when acknowledged, would then release itself.  You don't even have to write these down, you can just think about it as well, but I find that writing can help me focus. And when examining these beliefs, I often found negative beliefs that I knew were true, but felt like it wasn't "all there is" to the issue. Then I would go deeper, and ask where is this beliefs stemming from, and a deeper structure would show its head. When I got to these deeper structures (core beliefs), and started releasing them, everything started shifting for me. I went from self-created hell to the actual, happy and self confident me that I actually want to be. :) Sure, I still have some work to do and that is something I work on everyday. But now, after doing so much work with releasing negative beliefs, I find that it is much easier for me to be positive in most areas of my life, and I feel pretty freaking happy most of the time again. :D
Also, another technique could be visualizing where in your body you feel the negative emotion, feeling it, and releasing it. How does it look like? What do you want to do with it? I like to imagine white light surrounding the area I want to focus or my whole body, and all the negative bullshit dissolving. Now, if you are not able to "clean" this negative thought from your body, you probably have to go a little deeper or examine other beliefs that you have that might be affecting that one.

jbseth

I'm so sorry for misunderstanding, but would you please clarify one thing. How do you work in a given area? like what exactly do you do? For example, let's say that i have a belief that money doesn't flow to me because i think that i'm not a smart person. I identified my current belief, but what should i do with it? Should i use affirmations like: "i'm a smart person" and so on? Thank you so much for the help that you offered to me T.M. I really appreciate it.

Hi Dave, Hi All,

I don't know if you've come across this or not, but below is a long quote regarding a three prong method for altering your beliefs from Seth. This quote comes from "The Nature of Personal Reality", Chapter 4, Session 619.

This quote can be found closer to the end of Session 619 and the first sentence of this quote starts in the middle of the paragraph that begins with the sentence, "Few beliefs are intellectual alone."

I'm intentionally not going to use quotes here just to make it easier to read. However this entire quote all comes together on one page in my copy of this book.

jbseth

There are various ways of altering the belief by substituting its opposite. One particular method is three-pronged. You generate the emotion opposite the one that arises from the belief you want to change, and you turn your imagination in the opposite direction from the one dictated by the belief. At the same time, you consciously assure yourself that the unsatisfactory belief is an idea about reality and not an aspect of reality itself.

You realize that ideas are not stationary. Emotions and imagination move them in one direction or the other, reinforce them or negate them.

(Pause at 11:23.) Quite deliberately you use your conscious mind playfully, creating a game as children do, in which for a time you completely ignore what seems to be in physical terms and "pretend" that what you really want is real.

If you are poor, you purposely pretend that you have all you need financially. Imagine how you will spend your money. If you are ill, imagine playfully that you are cured. See yourself doing what you would do. If you cannot communicate with others, imagine yourself doing so easily. If you feel your days dark and pointless, then imagine them filled and joyful.

Now this may sound impractical, yet in your daily life you use your imagination and your emotions often at the service of far less worthy beliefs; and the results are quite clear – and let me add, unfortunately practical.

As it took a while for the unsatisfactory beliefs to becomes materialized, so it may be a time before you see physical results; but the new ideas will take growth and change your experience as certainly as the old ones did. The process of imagining with bring you face to face with other subsidiary ideas that may momentarily bring you up short. You may see where you held two quite conflicting ideas simultaneously, and with equal vigor. In such a case, you stalemated yourself.

jbseth

Hi Dave, Hi All,

I just noticed that my previous reply is actually the exercise located on page 43 of the document that contains the compilation of Seth's exercises. 

I guess I'm just suppose to be practicing my typing skills today. ;D

I will say that I completely agree with T.M.; Louise Hay was awesome.

jbseth

Dave

Quote from: Neo
Hi!
"Going general" does work if you are actually able to shift your focus into other more neutral or positive areas where you haven't basically clouded everything regarding that subject with negative thinking (which becomes beliefs). However, if you are not able to change your beliefs through the merely positive route (and this is most of the time, even though Abraham's tips do work, I do think they are not as comprehensive as they could be), it can be helpful to go and acknowledge the negative beliefs that are chasing you down. This is especially the case if you are having trouble with negative thoughts or emotions that follow you everywhere or on the daily, as that is a sign they are important for you to look at. The funny thing is, we can sometimes try to deny all of those negative beliefs or think that they are not there, or that we are not able to examine them, as it might hurt to much or perhaps you just don't believe in your own power. If that is the case, acknowledge those beliefs first.
There are a myriad ways to examine your belief structures and Seth has mentioned some in his books, however you can come up with whatever works for you!

That's basically how i used to do it. I was listening to my emotions very carefully in order to make sure that i don't do big vibrational jumps and just to know how i feel when i look for the statements. For example:

Generally Positive

Well, I understand that i feel negative about this situation, but i know that it's because i just got used to feel like this.
I know that i was able to feel better about it before so sooner or later i'm gonna be able to do it again.

and so on..

But, I was never actually able to reach "Specifically Positive", so that's why i (kinda) gave up on "going general" or Focus Wheel.

Quote from: Neo
One simple thing that works for me is that I just start listing all of the negative beliefs that I do have, and when writing them out, I feel how that statement feels in my body. For example, I used to think that there is something wrong with me and that I had ruined myself and was thus not as good or whole as I used to be, and when I acknowledged that belief I felt it in my body as a fear, that when acknowledged, would then release itself. 

So, you just found some of your negative beliefs and felt the exact negative feeling (such as fear) and they just released automatically by themselfs? Wow, I'm definitely gonna try this process for sure.

Thank you for your help!

Dave

Quote from: jbseth

Thank you for your help! I think i actually read it in "A Compilation of Exercises from Seth and Jane Roberts" but i'm glad that you reminded me about this one.

Hi Dave, Hi All,

I don't know if you've come across this or not, but below is a long quote regarding a three prong method for altering your beliefs from Seth. This quote comes from "The Nature of Personal Reality", Chapter 4, Session 619.

This quote can be found closer to the end of Session 619 and the first sentence of this quote starts in the middle of the paragraph that begins with the sentence, "Few beliefs are intellectual alone."

I'm intentionally not going to use quotes here just to make it easier to read. However this entire quote all comes together on one page in my copy of this book.

jbseth

There are various ways of altering the belief by substituting its opposite. One particular method is three-pronged. You generate the emotion opposite the one that arises from the belief you want to change, and you turn your imagination in the opposite direction from the one dictated by the belief. At the same time, you consciously assure yourself that the unsatisfactory belief is an idea about reality and not an aspect of reality itself.

You realize that ideas are not stationary. Emotions and imagination move them in one direction or the other, reinforce them or negate them.

(Pause at 11:23.) Quite deliberately you use your conscious mind playfully, creating a game as children do, in which for a time you completely ignore what seems to be in physical terms and "pretend" that what you really want is real.

If you are poor, you purposely pretend that you have all you need financially. Imagine how you will spend your money. If you are ill, imagine playfully that you are cured. See yourself doing what you would do. If you cannot communicate with others, imagine yourself doing so easily. If you feel your days dark and pointless, then imagine them filled and joyful.

Now this may sound impractical, yet in your daily life you use your imagination and your emotions often at the service of far less worthy beliefs; and the results are quite clear – and let me add, unfortunately practical.

As it took a while for the unsatisfactory beliefs to becomes materialized, so it may be a time before you see physical results; but the new ideas will take growth and change your experience as certainly as the old ones did. The process of imagining with bring you face to face with other subsidiary ideas that may momentarily bring you up short. You may see where you held two quite conflicting ideas simultaneously, and with equal vigor. In such a case, you stalemated yourself.

Dave

So, I was practicing affirmations, gratitude, visualization and Seth's hypnosis exercise. What i noticed that i actually feel pretty good when i use visualization and gratitude about everything in my life, but affirmations for some don't work for me. When i say something like: "money flow easily to me" I kinda feel better, but after like a few minutes i start to feel negative about it, but if i'm gonna "go general" and don't make big vibrational jumps, then i feel better and sorta forget about the money "problem". I was reading some success stories on The Secret website and most of the people usually just continue to use visualization and affirmations even if they don't believe that their desires will manifest, but after some time they actually start to believe that it's possible to manifest them. I noticed that seth's process basically based on visualization and affirmations. Since he doesn't talk about "big vibrational jumps" just like Abraham does, should i still continue to use affirmations even though i feel negative and don't believe in them? Since Seth said it's gonna take some time in i want to change a certain belief, so maybe that's what i should do? Just forget about Abraham Hicks' teachings (go general, big vibrational jumps) and just practice to say positive affirmations no matter what?

jbseth

Hi Dave,

I can't tell you anything about the Abraham Hicks' teachings, because I never followed them.

My wife and I bought some Louise Hay positive affirmation cassette tapes (I know, I'm really dating myself here  :) ) years ago and listened to them a lot. We played them at home as background music, in our cars as we went to and from work and at night when we got ready for bed.  After about maybe 6 months or so, I started to experience some positive changes in my beliefs and for my wife, it took some months longer. We liked these tapes so much that we continued to play them fairly regularly for maybe 2 -3 years.

Regarding affirmations, I think it's pretty normal for people to feel negative about them at first, thinking things like, "This is stupid" and "It's never gonna work".  I also believe that, depending upon the person, and their beliefs, the process of using affirmations to change their beliefs may take anywhere from maybe weeks to perhaps years.

If you are starting for feel negative about them after a few minutes, you might want to check in with yourself and see what that's all about. Maybe its just the normal resistance that many people experience or then again maybe there are some other issues like a conflicting belief or a core belief that this is bringing up for you.

jbseth