“Where” is consciousness?

Started by WindWalker, September 07, 2018, 04:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WindWalker

Im curious of everybodys take on "where" is consciousness and its function. Thank you!

LarryH

Consciousness is not anywhere. 'Where' is in - or projected by - the consciousness.

That's my answer to the thought-provoking question.

chasman

hmmmm.
how about:
in our bodies, and presently focused in physical reality.
but we are multi-dimensional beings.
and our consciousnesses, though focused in physical reality the majority of our waking hours, is not limited to being in our bodies.
and we all move on some day from this earthly physical reality, to the next reality (non physical).
and our consciousnesses will leave our bodies then for the last time.
and I like LarryH's reply too.

Sena

Panpsychism - Consciousness is everywhere.

This does NOT mean that a rock is conscious in the same way that a human or a cat is conscious. Certain experiments in quantum physics indicate that there may be consciousness in subatomic particles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panpsychism#Quantum_physics

LarryH

A materialist would say that the consciousness of an animal is in the brain. Some cultures view consciousness as being in the heart. Many near-death experiencers say that consciousness is not tied to the body. I suggest that the where of consciousness is a matter of focus. Consciousness chooses how it will wear the universe ('where' the universe?) or whatever reality it is playing with.

jbseth

Hi All,

Here's some of my thoughts on this.

Where is consciousness?

Seth talks about conscious units or CU units. These CU's are the building blocks of all things. Seth also says that consciousness creates form and it is not the other way around. Seth also talks about gestalts of consciousness. The atoms and molecules have consciousness, the cells have consciousness, the organs have consciousness and we have an inner self, a subconscious and an ego conscious that all have consciousness. In the Unknown Reality Seth mentions that the planets and stars have consciousness. Maybe a better question would be "Where is consciousness not?"   :)

I really like LarryH's comment that Consciousness "wear's" the universe.

What is the purpose of consciousness?

The answer to this question is fairly complex.  In "The Early Sessions" Book 8, Set says "Consciousness or action forms all realities." And this is the simple answer.

However to really comprehend what is this means, it's helpful to understand Seth's concepts having to do with both "action" and "the three dilemmas".

Action:
In The Early Sessions" Book 3, Session 137, Seth explains that when Sender A, transmits a thought to Sender B, the "action" of transmitting the thought changes it. 

Then in this same session, Seth goes into a long discussion about what "action" is in his terms. This is a very esoteric concept and while it is similar to the dictionary definition, there is much more involved in Seth description of this "concept".  In this same session Seth makes the following statements about "action":

"Action is not a thing alone. It is not an identity. Action is a dimension of existence."

"Action may be considered also simply as the spontaneous nature of inner vitality toward various expressive materializations."

"There is no separate force that causes action."

"Again, action involves more than movement, as you think of movement, for value fulfillment is action."

"Action can never be considered apart from that which is seemingly acted upon, for action becomes part of structure."

I know, some pretty heavy duty concepts, right. 

The Three Dilemma:

Then in Session 138, Seth talks about the three dilemma's, which are:

"The first dilemma results in action, and from actions own working upon itself we have seen that identity was formed, and that these two are inseparable."

[...] "Identity, because of its characteristics, will continually seek stability, while stability is impossible. And this is our second dilemma."

It is this dilemma, precisely between identity's constant attempt to maintain stability, and actions inherent drive for change, that results in the imbalance, the exquisite creative by-product that is consciousness of self."

"The ego is a state resulting from the third creative dilemma, which happens when consciousness of self, attempts to separate itself from action."

Further down in this same session, Seth then says: "These three dilemmas represent three areas of reality within which the inner vitality, can experience itself."

So, given this then, I would say that the purpose of consciousness is to form realities so that All That Is, which is the source of inner vitality can experience itself in its various forms.

Jbseth

WindWalker

Quote from: LarryH
A materialist would say that the consciousness of an animal is in the brain. Some cultures view consciousness as being in the heart. Many near-death experiencers say that consciousness is not tied to the body. I suggest that the where of consciousness is a matter of focus. Consciousness chooses how it will wear the universe ('where' the universe?) or whatever reality it is playing with.

This is essentially my take as well. Consciousness creates the realitys it desires to experience for soul growth. So every reality is contained within consciousness. I believe that is what Christ meant by saying "the Kingdom is within you" along with all the other sages saying the same thing. If you want to experience what it is like to be a frog then you need to change your focus to that of a frogs and then you will experience reality from a frogs point of view,  with the frogs brain. Seth and the OBE community seem to stress two things: Focus and Intent. A person can actually experience consciousness changing focus during the process of an obe (energy vibrations)  yet it isnt "done on command" ie it happens between the natural sleep/wake cycle. The holy grail would seem to be  the ability to change focus on demand to experience non physical realities. I surmise we can after death once we are no longer focused upon  this physical world. Once we are focused upon the physical world it seems we are pretty much "locked in" until death or through brief glimpses of other non physical realities from NDEs or OBEs and even through dreams.

jbseth

Hi All,

In "The Early Sessions" Book 2, Sessions 44 and 50, Seth described what he calls "the laws of the inner universe". In Session 50, Seth says the following:"

"Our next rule, or law, of the inner universe is of course consciousness. Everything that exists on any plane and under any circumstances contains consciousness, condensed knowledge, and even self-awareness to some degree.

There is no case where this is not so."

jbseth

Deb

I'm back! And lots of catching up to do with finally decent internet service!

Loving all the answers here.

Quote from: WindWalker
Once we are focused upon the physical world it seems we are pretty much "locked in" until death or through brief glimpses of other non physical realities from NDEs or OBEs and even through dreams.

Yes, that's definitely our case. We are strongly focused in this reality and so experience and view everything from this perspective. Seth says there are hints of other realities, but we tend to ignore them. There are some who can get past that in their waking state.

My old vision of consciousness was sort of an analogy to chicken soup, I don't know why other than I'm a foodie. I know it's simplistic and silly, but I saw consciousness, everything that is, as being the broth (or more realistically, water). The common ingredient running through everything else that's in it.

Quote from: LarryH
Consciousness chooses how it will wear the universe ('where' the universe?) or whatever reality it is playing with.

Deep, love this.

jbseth

Hi Windwalker, Hi All,

in your reply above, you said:

"Once we are focused upon the physical world it seems we are pretty much "locked in" until death or through brief glimpses of other non physical realities from NDEs or OBEs and even through dreams."

One of the most powerful messages that I've learned from Seth is to be very cognizant of those beliefs that I accept as true.  Some beliefs that we accept as true, maynot be true, and by believing in them, they then become true for us. These then become self limiting beliefs.

I don't know that we "are" necessarily, "locked in" until death and I'm not sure that I would say that this was true for Jane.

Please don't take this wrong, I not trying to be a smart a** or make anyone upset.

jbseth