TMI

Started by jbseth, March 28, 2019, 09:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbseth

Hi All,

Wow, that was 40 years ago today.

I was just looking at a site on Bing that talks about "This Day in History". On this day in history, specifically on, March 28, 1979, Three Mile Island (TMI, not Too Much Information  :) ) a nuclear Power Plant, in Pennsylvania, suffered a partial nuclear meltdown.

Seth/Jane talks about this, along with several other topics, in their book, "The Nature of Mass Events".

At the time, I was 24 years old and going to a local community college here in Oregon.

Being a person who has always been interested in science, I was both fascinated by this event and a little concerned about the potential consequences of a nuclear meltdown.

As I recall, there was a movie that came out just around the time of this event, called "The China Syndrome" which was about a nuclear meltdown.  I've always wondered about the connection between the timing of this movie and this TMI event. Was this idea somehow already in peoples mass consciousness and something that the movie writers and producers had tapped into?

Does anyone else here remember this TMI event?

-jbseth

Deb

Wow, I didn't realize today was the anniversary!

I was living in Florida at the time, but grew up in NJ, still had family there, less than 100 miles east of TMI. So yes, I remember it. The China Syndrome movie was released to theaters on March 16, 1979. And TMI took place less than two weeks later, March 28, 1979.

If you search Three Mile Island on the search engine, it comes up quite a bit, in a few different books. I just searched because I swear Seth had something to say about the timing of the movie and the incident, but I couldn't find it. I did find this:

"(The movie is The China Syndrome, of course, with Michael Douglas, Jack Lemmon and Jane Fonda, which opened to rave reviews perhaps two weeks or so ago. The short story referred to above was reported on a TV program about Three Mile Island: Jane and I caught a glimpse of, I believe, a local newspaper or magazine in the Harrisburg area that had printed a short story about a nuclear accident at that plant, on the same day that the troubles began at Three Mile Island. We hadn't heard of the story. If I'm in error and the story was printed in a national magazine, for instance, we still haven't heard of it. Nor have we heard or read about this amazing "coincidence" since seeing that one mention of it on that TV newscast."
—TPS5 Session 844 (Deleted) April 1, 1979