Intuitive Inconsistency

Started by jbseth, April 24, 2019, 11:33:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbseth

Hi All,

I'm presently rereading a book I read about a year ago, called "There Is No Hell" by Linnie Thomas. Linnie, the author, considers herself to be an "Empath" (someone who can detect what people or animals are "feeling") as opposed to a "Telepath" (someone who can detect what people are thinking). If what she talks about in this book is true, and actually occurred to her, then she's had some pretty amazing experiences.

In the introduction of this book, she mentions that at one point in her past, around Halloween, her and her husband bought a bag of orange and black jelly beans.  Her husband liked the black jelly beans, but she didn't. She says that she found that she could reach into the bag and pull out an orange one for her, without looking. She says it "felt" different, but she couldn't tell you how she knew the difference, she just could. She also says that nine times out of ten, she could also pull out a black one for her husband.

Then she says that some days she would get it right every time, and other days, the colors would come up at random. She says that she was not consistent, which annoys her.

Several times, in the last 20 or so years of my life, I've had intuitive hunches, come to me. These hunches also seem to be inconsistent. Sometimes when I've had one of these, I've wondered whether it really was an intuitive hunch or just a strong desire or perhaps wishful thinking on my part. Typically, the only one's that I know for certain are intuitive hunches are those that seem to come out of nowhere.

When I read this comment by Linnie Thomas, about inconsistency, the thought occurred to me that, maybe the issue here is in taking the time to learn to recognize the difference.

Recently, I had an intuitive hunch occur to me and this experience has made me think that there is even more to it, than this. Recently, my wife and I were looking at our finances and it appeared as though, we would have a 2 week gap with no money coming in. Because of this, we opted to go easy on all necessary purchases during this time. During this time, out of nowhere, I got a hunch, a feeling, an insight, on Sunday, that some money would arrive several days later on Friday.  As a result of this hunch, I was relieved, even though we still hadn't received any money yet.

As it turned out, some unexpected money showed up the very next day, Monday, and then a few days later, on Saturday, we got a much larger check. As it turned out however, we didn't actually receive any money on Friday.

As I thought about this, I'm not sure that the issue here was that my hunch was inconsistent. Instead, it occurred to me that perhaps what happened here is that my inner self, in working with other inner selves, was able to come up with something even better than anticipated. I certainly wasn't about to complain that my hunch was inconsistent given that we received a much better turnout, in regards to the money arriving when it did.

What do you think? Was my hunch inconsistent? Does our inner selves sometimes fast track events for us which makes our hunches inconsistent?

Has anyone else ever had a similar experience?

-jbseth

Sena

Quote from: jbseth
Recently, I had an intuitive hunch occur to me and this experience has made me think that there is even more to it, than this.
jbseth, thanks for bringing up the topic of "hunches". As I understand it, in Sethian terms a hunch is "an impression received by the inner senses":

"Again, the impressions received by the inner senses are actually concrete in a way that you do not yet understand. This data also has physical effects upon the brain. In the same manner that impressions received from outside stimuli affect the brain, they make their impression upon it. They change the personality as any experience changes a personality." (The Early Sessions, Book 1 SESSION 25, FEBRUARY 12, 1964)

I find the Early Sessions, Book 1 quite interesting. It seems to me that the material here is straight from Seth as it were, whereas the later sessions might have been "contaminated" by things Jane and Rob had come across in their reading.

jbseth

Hi Sena,

Thanks for your reply. I think that intuitive hunches may be somewhat like inspiration. Your reporting of Seths comments in Session 25, seems consistent with what he says in regards to thoughts and inspiration in, The Early Sessions, Book 3, Session 126 given below,

Thoughts are psychoelectric patterns, set up by the mind, and transformed to human codes by the brain.

The mind is always with you. The particular brain is the physical mechanism that translates the thoughts of the mind. It goes without saying then, that the brain belongs to the physical system, and here in clear terms you see the smooth cooperation that exists. Thoughts are initially psychoelectric patterns in pure form, productions of the inner self that must be translated in order to be used by the physical self.

Inspiration is often a more or less instantaneous translation, occurring for various reasons which I will give you later, without the benefit of the brain's intervention. It is this strangeness that is often noted. The individual seems not to know where the thouhgt comes from, because he does not recognize the characteristic mark of his brain upon it. And indeed such a mark is lacking, for inspiration originates with the inner self.

-jbseth

jbseth

Hi Sena,

In reply # 1 above, you said:

I find the Early Sessions, Book 1 quite interesting. It seems to me that the material here is straight from Seth as it were, whereas the later sessions might have been "contaminated" by things Jane and Rob had come across in their reading.

I've been intrigued by your comment here for several days now and I've been meaning to follow up with you on this.  I was wondering, if you have any examples of material from the later sessions that you think was possibly or probably contaminated by things that Jane and Rob had come across in their reading.

-jbseth

Sena

Quote from: jbseth
I was wondering, if you have any examples of material from the later sessions that you think was possibly or probably contaminated by things that Jane and Rob had come across in their reading.

jbseth, in fact I came across an example in my reading this morning:

"The serpent is the symbol of the deepest knowledge within creaturehood; it also contains the impetus to rise above or beyond itself in certain respects." (from "The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know (A Seth Book)" by Jane Roberts)

From the Kindle edition: http://amzn.eu/7e9x3nx

This reference to the "serpent" is difficult to fit in with the main body of Seth's teaching, but the serpent is featured prominently in Gnostic literature, which I suspect Jane had been reading.

In this Wikipedia article about Gnostics, there are 29 references to "serpent":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophites

jbseth

Hi Sena,

I think that you and I must see this very differently and it's OK if we do.

Putting this serpent statement into context, we find that this statement comes from, "The Nature of Personal Reality", Chapter 12, Session 647. In this book, Chapter 12 is titled, "Grace, Consciousness and Your Daily Experience".

At the beginning of Chapter 12, Seth talks about how he has frequently mentioned the
"state of grace". Then, he starts talking about how people sometimes believe that they have "fallen" from "a state of grace".  From this, he says let's consider the idea of "original sin".  After this, he starts talking about the "original sin" story which many of us recognize from the Old Testament / Hebrew Bible. Next, he describes how this story, can be interpreted as a "birth of the conscious mind" story and then he describes the meaning behind some of the symbols in this story, including the serpent. Then, Seth begins Session 647 with your statement above.

This part of the book, along with most of this book itself, talks about beliefs and how they affect us. Furthermore, these beliefs also directly impact the reality that we create for ourselves and as you know, one of Seth's main points is, "We Create Our Reality".

For me, I can clearly see how this serpent story fits directly into our beliefs, such as a belief in original sin or a belief in a fall from grace. Furthermore, I can also see how our beliefs affect our ability to create our reality, one of Seth's main teaching.

On the other hand, in order for me to believe that Jane and Rob contaminated Seth's information by something that they've read (such as Gnostic literature for example), then I'd have to either know or assume that: 1) they actually read some Gnostic literature and 2) that they allowed this information to bias, the Seth channeled information.  Neither of which I necessarily know to be true.

To be clear, I'm not saying that some of the Seth information isn't either contaminated or hasn't been distorted due to various ideas and beliefs that were held by Jane and Rob. I'm just not so sure that I can determine which ones were and which ones weren't.

- jbseth

LenKop

Your initial hunch regarding money coming in on Friday initially made me think 'why Friday'?

How did you know it was specifically the next Friday? Which then leads me to question your beliefs regarding pay weeks; in your working life have you often been paid (or paid others) by/on Friday? how often did you get paid on a weekend? Traditionally, in the western world, banking isn't done on weekends, and until the digital age started, money transfers were not completed until after the weekend. There's also ideas about working for money, and the amount of time/labor required before getting paid. Maybe the inner message tried to make it believable to you, and therefore comforting, before handing over the cash the following day.

I suppose I'm trying to find how much of our 'here and now' selves get in the way of our hunches, and then we use hindsight to find inconsistencies with the hunches rather than our beliefs regarding everything associated with any particular situation.

At least you got paid....:)

jbseth

Hi Lenkop,

Why Friday? How did I know that it was specifically the next Friday.

Well that was the specific intuitive hunch that came to me.

I think what happened here, was a new insight for me. In the past, I've recognized that many times my intuitive hunches are right on target, but sometimes they're wrong.

However, I've never considered the possibility that sometimes they might be wrong because my inner self works things out differently than what came to me via an intuitive hunch.

-jbseth