Seth on Easter

Started by Sena, May 05, 2019, 09:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sena

"It is now nearing Easter (on March 26), and the yearly commemoration of what is considered historic fact: the [resurrection and] ascension of Christ into heaven. Untold millions have in one way or another commemorated that occasion through the centuries. Private lives have merged with public sentiment and religious fervor. There have been numberless village festivals, or intimate family gatherings, and church services performed on Easter Sundays now forgotten. There have been bloody wars fought on the same account, and private persecutions in which those who did not agree with one or another's religious dogmas were quite simply killed "for the good of their souls.""
"There have been spiritual rebirths and regenerations — and ungodly slaughter as well, as a result of the meaning of Easter. Blood and flesh have certainly been touched, then, and lives changed in that regard."
—Nature of Mass Events Chapter 4: Session 829, March 22, 1978
(Bolding of text my own)

This fits with Seth's statement that he was a minor Pope in the 3rd century or thereabouts. He is able to tell us about the real history of the Christian Church which the official history books gloss over.

What I infer from Seth's statement is that it may be better not to "celebrate" Easter.

jbseth

Hi Sena,

I don't think the problem is in celebrating various religious holidays. There are many religions that practice many different religious holidays where the practice of such holidays, does not bring harm to anyone else outside of that religion.

I think the problem comes from people who feel that its OK to harm or kill others who do not agree with their religious beliefs, for whatever reason. Type of behavior is not strictly related to "Christians" only.

-jbseth

Deb

It just all seems so ironic to me, the belief in and celebration of a metaphor (at the best) that so many people passionately believe to be absolute historical facts.

Yes Seth mentioned being a pope, and not a very "good" one. I wonder if he mentioned he'd been a leader in other religions as well? With so many incarnations under his belt, surely he'd experienced Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism... Pagan?

I agree jbseth in that celebrating holidays is not the problem, it's the fanaticism and justification of murder of others that don't share the same beliefs. For some reason the phrase "guns don't kill people, people kill people" comes to mind. Just substitute religion for guns, I suppose.

Personally I'd prefer to celebrate the change in seasons to any specific religious holidays, but the closest I come to that is consciously appreciating a beautiful day. Regardless of the time of year.