Chaos Magick

Started by Sena, August 07, 2019, 11:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sena

Chaos Magick appears to be another method of "Creating your own reality".
This is an extract from a book entitled "The Master Works of Chaos Magick: Practical Techniques For Directing Your Reality" by Adam Blackthorne:

"Chaos Magick is meant to be the most practical, simplified, bare-bones way to shift reality in a
way that agrees with your desire and your true will. There's a bizarre irony that most books on Chaos
Magick give you wild theory, but no practical magick. I'll do what I can to set things right on that
front. There's nothing quite like doing magick and seeing it work, so that's what lies ahead of you.

Chaos Magick is not about causing chaos with magick. It's about reordering your reality, and
directing life the way you want. Just like normal magick, but without a lot of the frills. It's not quite as
exacting and formulaic as old fashioned magick, so maybe that's why it was called 'chaos'. When it
was invented, it probably seemed like a great big sloppy madness compared to the refined rites,
robes and rituals of old. Even though it works.
There are millions of approximate definitions, but if you asked me for a definition right now,
I'd say that Chaos Magick is an occult technology that puts an emphasis on simplification, flexible
beliefs, emotional transmutation and results. If it doesn't work, it isn't magick.
Chaos Magick sounds like it might be a slapdash magick for lazy unbelievers. But it works. If
you have imagination, it works. If you are good at pretending, it works. If you can be playful, it
works. If you can access your feelings, it works. If you have willpower, it works. If you combine all
these things, you'll be crowned Grand Magus of Chaos Magick within a week."

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30242295-the-master-works-of-chaos-magick

Deb

I'd never heard of Chaos Magick before, but the book sounds interesting. Are you actually reading it? I read the reviews on your link and also went over to Amazon. It's very highly rated, with interesting reviews as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_magic: "Another influence comes from the magical system of Austin Osman Spare, who believed that belief itself was a form of "psychic energy" that became locked up in rigid belief structures, and that could be released by breaking down those structures. This "free belief" could then be directed towards new aims."

Certainly sounds Seth-like.

Funny, just yesterday I was reading Unknown Reality 1 and in session 681 Seth talked about "unpredictability as the source of all events." My mind equates unpredictability with chaos (in my mind chaos is not disorder and confusion, but instead potentials—freedom from predetermined order), but then came across this quote on the Seth search engine:

"Unpredictability does not mean chaos. All order rises out of the creative elements of unpredictability. In fact, the behavior of any object in your universe is "predictable" only because you concentrate upon such a small portion of its reality. Unpredictability assures uniqueness, and is the opposite of predetermined motion. The great saga of recognized physical activity arises from a vast unrecognized, unpredictable dimension in which probabilities are allowed full freedom."
—UR1 Section 3: Session 704 June 17, 1974

Anyway, if you're reading it, I'd love to know your impressions.

Sena

Quote from: Deb
Anyway, if you're reading it, I'd love to know your impressions.
Deb, I just dipped into the book. I have not yet decided to read it. My understanding of chaos magick so far is that physical reality is seen as "chaos", meaning that events are not determined purely by cause-and-effect. That seems to fit with Seth's idea of physical reality being "camouflage reality". Because of the nature of chaos, there is room for the will and imagination to direct physical events in a particular direction, for instance the healing of disease.

Quote"Unpredictability does not mean chaos."
I think Seth is using the word chaos here in the usual sense of "complete disorder and confusion.". In chaos magick, the word is used in a somewhat different sense.

jbseth

Hi All,

Since I've never heard of either Chaos Magick or Adam Blackthorne, I thought I'd check out Amazon to see if he wrote any other books. According to Amazon, he also wrote the book, "Sigils of Power and Transformation"; see website below

https://www.amazon.com/Sigils-Power-Transformation-Magick-Control/dp/1520287461/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2UHI5T5YV0FZK&keywords=adam+blackthorne+books&qid=1565296638&s=gateway&sprefix=adam+black%2Caps%2C214&sr=8-4

Then I looked at Amazon for other people who wrote about Chaos Magick and discovered that there have been some other people who have also written about this topic.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=chaos+magick&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

After this, I checked out Wikipedia to see what they had to say about Chaos Magick and this is what they say:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_magic

What I noticed right away was how similar the ideas behind Chaos Magick seem to be to Seth's messages about how we create our reality.

Here's what Adam Blackthorne says about Chaos Magick:

"If you have imagination, it works. If you are good at pretending, it works. If you can be playful, it works. If you can access your feelings, it works. If you have willpower, it works. If you combine all these things, ..."

Here's what Seth says about creating your reality. This is from NoPR, Chapter 6, Session 627: (the bold font is mine)

To act in an independent manner, you must begin to initiate action that you want to occur physically (emphatically) by creating it in your own being.

This is done by combining belief, emotion and imagination, and forming them into a mental picture of the desired physical result. Of course, the wanted result is not yet physical or you would not need to create it, so it does no good to say that your physical experience seems to contradict what you are trying to do.

-jbseth

Sena

Quote from: jbseth
What I noticed right away was how similar the ideas behind Chaos Magick seem to be to Seth's messages about how we create our reality.
jbseth, one thing which is somewhat unique to chaos magick is the use of rituals. Here a ritual means any physical procedure devised by your imagination. It could be something as simple as lighting a candle, or more complex. I think the purpose of the ritual is to concentrate the mind.

jbseth

Hi Sena,

Yeah, that does sound different.

I know that rituals are used in quite a few witchcraft practices such as Wicca. I've always wondered whether these rituals are not unlike some of those utilized by the various major religions; some of which seem dogmatic to me, (must eliminate all wants and desires - a ritual of some Eastern religions; must regularly confess sins - a Catholic ritual, etc.).

In NoPR, Chapter 15, Session 657, Seth explains briefly a process for creating your reality. In this section, he briefly mentions taking some time to concentrate upon what you want and then along with this, taking some physical action (such as buying something) to help create the desired outcome. See below.

You must look within yourself for evidences of what you want in terms of positive experience. Examine your past with that in mind. Imagine your future from the power point of the present. In such a way at least you are not using the past to reinforce your limitations, or projecting them into the future. It is only natural to contrast what you want with what you have, and it is very easy to become discouraged in so doing, but looking for errors in the past will not help you. A correctly utilized five-minute period of time can be of great benefit, however. In this period concentrate upon the fact that the point of power is now. Feel and dwell upon the certainty that your emotional, spiritual and psychic abilities are focused through the flesh, and for five minutes only direct all of your attention toward what you want. Use visualization or verbal thought — whatever comes most naturally to you; but for that period do not concentrate upon any lacks, just upon your desire.

(10:30.) Use all of your energy and attention. Then forget about it. Do not check to see how well it is working. Simply make sure that in that period your intentions are clear. Then in one way or another, according to your own individual situation, make one physical gesture or act that is in line with your belief or desire. Behave physically, then, at least once a day in a way that shows that you have faith in what you are doing. The act can be a very simple one. If you are lonely and feel unwanted, it can merely involve your smiling at someone else. If you are poor, it can involve such a simple thing as buying an item you want that costs two cents more than the one you would usually buy — acting on the faith, even that feebly, that the two cents will somehow be given you or come into your experience; but acting as if you had more than you do.

-jbseth

Sena

Quote from: jbseth
Use all of your energy and attention. Then forget about it. Do not check to see how well it is working.
jbseth, yes, that is good advice.

T.M.

Hi All,

Thank you for the reference to the book Sena. I went ahead and got it on Kindle.
I'm starting chapter 3 and it looks like it's going to be fun :)
I've always wondered what Chaos Magic is. I  didn't really want to go through a bunch of books trying to figure it out either.
Looks like this is a good one!