Shows/Movies that contain some Seth concepts

Started by Deb, October 11, 2019, 11:35:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

I thought it would be fun to start a list of movies, TV shows, series that seem to contain some Seth concepts. I've not seen Cloud Atlas, but plan to. I saw the first episode of Undone last night and thought it was really interesting so will continue to watch. If anyone can add to this list, please do!

Links to trailers are in the spoilers, just click on the + symbol. BTW the Matrix one at the end is hysterical but I also learned from it.

Cloud Atlas, movie, 2012. Time travel, reincarnation, everything is connected (big name actors, written/directed by the Wachowski [Matrix] siblings)
Sorry but you must log in to view spoiler contents.

Russian Doll, Netflix series, 2019  probable lives, multiverses.

Undone, Amazon Prime series, 2019. Uniquely animated and incredibly visually creative, basically about time travel, the idea of which alone suggests simultaneous time; life after death.

Somewhere in Time, movie, 1980. A time travel love story.

The Lake House, movie, 2006. Another love story, about overlapping time. Very clever concept and well done.

Inception, movie, 2010. Lucid dreaming, working during the dream state, the idea that dreams are a place where we can communicate with others, plastic time.

And my all time favorite, The Matrix, movie, 1999. "The matrix is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you to the truth." Camouflage reality.

jbseth

Hi Deb, Hi All,

Deb, thanks for starting this topic. What a great idea.  :)

Here are some of my favorites. By the way, all of these all have to do with the afterlife.

"Made in Heaven" with Timothy Hutton and Kelly McGillis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_in_Heaven_(1987_film)

"What Dreams May Come" with Robin Williams and Cuba Gooding jr. This movie is kind of dark but I found that it pretty much agrees with what Seth had to say about what happens after we die.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Dreams_May_Come_(film)

"Defending Your Life" with Albert Brooks and Meryl Steep.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defending_Your_Life

-jbseth

Deb

Awesome, these all look great! I have a feeling it's going to be a long cold winter here, so I'll have plenty of things to watch.

@ jbseth I did see What Dreams back when it was in theaters. I thought it was a very cool movie but I hadn't discovered Seth at that point so I need to watch it again from my new perspective. BTW for some reason the wiki links you added were dropping off the closing parenthesis, so the links weren't working properly. I fixed them.

@inavalan the movies you put up are completely new to me! They both look good, I'm looking forward to seeing them.

I can see this list continuing to grow....

inavalan

"Tuning In" (feature-length documentary - Spirit Channelers in America):

jbseth

Hi Deb, Hi inavalan, All All,

Wow, there's some really great suggestions here.

Deb, Thanks for fixing my links, I'm not sure what I did that messed them up.

I've seen the movie "Cloud Atlas" some time ago. I thought it was really pretty awesome. I didn't know that it was written/directed by the Wachowski [Matrix] siblings, but that makes perfect sense to me.

Inavalan,  I watched some of the "Spirit Channelers in America" and that's really fascinating. I knew about Daryl Anka and his channeled entity "Bashar". Some time ago I bought and read his book "Bashar: Blueprint for Change" and I really liked it. I found that a lot of his messages were similar to Seth's. I've also heard of Kryon, but I'm not really familiar with most of the others. It's interesting to hear what the various channelers have to say. Thank you very much for posting that.

While going through Deb's list I saw the movie, "Somewhere in Time" which is a really a great movie. It reminded me of another movie having to do with "time" with a similar title called "About Time" with Bill Nighly.and Rachel McAdams. It's also very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OIFdWk83no

-jblair

jbseth

Hi All,

Probably one of the best movies or shows, I've ever seen dealing with "alternate realities" is an episode of Stargate SG1, called "Point of View". This specific show, "Point of View" was from Season 3, Episode 6.

In the show Stargate SG1, two of the main characters are Major Samantha (Sam) Carter and her boss, Colonel Jack O'Neill. In this reality, Sam and Jack are friends and they work together but their relationship is strictly platonic.  Sam, with her vast knowledge of all things technical, she has a doctorate degree in physics, is a huge asset to the SG1 team.

In this specific show, the Sam of our reality meets one of her alternate selves (whom I'll call ASam).  ASam comes through the Stargate into our reality, to escape from her alternate reality. In ASam's alternate reality, the Gou'ald, the bad guys, have recently invaded planet Earth, and have started killing and enslaving all humans there.

In her alternate reality, ASam was married to Colonel Jack O'Neill and in that reality, where the Gou'ald invaded, Jack was recently killed.

In this show, the writers deal very intelligently with the interesting relationships that come about in this reality between ASam and the Sam of this reality and ASam and the Colonel Jack O'Neill of this reality.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0709141/?ref_=ttep_ep6

-jbseth

inavalan

"The Lathe of Heaven"

• 1980 Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbs3Y2HSoiw
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lathe_of_Heaven
    QuoteThe Lathe of Heaven is a 1971 science fiction novel by the late American writer Ursula K. Le Guin. The plot concerns a character whose dreams alter past and present reality.
    ... The title is taken from the writings of Chuang Tzu (Zhuang Zhou) — specifically a passage from Book XXIII, paragraph 7, quoted as an epigraph to Chapter 3 of the novel:
    To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment. Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven. (知止乎其所不能知,至矣。若有不即是者,天鈞敗之。)
    ... Plot summary: The book is set in Portland, Oregon, in the year 2002. ...
    ...  alternative worlds, based on an assortment of utopian (and dystopian) premises:
    - When Haber directs George to dream a world without racism, the skin of everyone on the planet becomes a uniform light gray.
    - An attempt to solve the problem of overpopulation proves disastrous when George dreams a devastating plague which wipes out much of humanity and gives the current world a population of one billion rather than seven billion.
    - George attempts to dream into existence "peace on Earth" – resulting in an alien invasion of the Moon which unites all the nations of Earth against the threat. ...
  • https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081036/
  • 1980 Full version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8VRbaVNvSA
  • https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290230/
  • 2002 Full version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbqxEtNx-VU
    QuoteThe 2002 adaptation discards a significant portion of the plot and some of the characters. Le Guin had no involvement in making the film.

Deb

These additions look great. Jbseth I remember your other post about Stargate SG1, and it also had a recommendation from someone on Facebook, so for sure I need to watch at least that specific episode! Oh and the links problem wasn't anything that you did, I think it's the way the software is set up here—to not include punctuation at the end of a link. I just had to highlight the links and click on the URL button (world) in the editor. The About Time movie looks interesting and I love Bill Nighy (after watching Love Actually too many times, it used to be my Christmas tradition and he was great in it).

I watched the Tuning In documentary a few years ago and was impressed with it, plus it introduced me to a number of channelers I'd not heard of before. It was at a time when I was coming from Abraham-Hicks over to Seth and not quite sure what to make of it all. It helped with my "research." One of the channelers, Geoffrey Hoppe, is (or was) living not far from me. But beyond the documentary, the channelers convinced me that Seth is where it's at for me. :)

Now the Lathe of Heaven was a new one to me and sounds really good. I read the Wiki on the book and there seemed to be a LOT of stuff going on in it, with a unique premise. It was also very interesting to me the issues the book predicted we'd have to deal with in the future—especially global warming. I didn't realize it was a topic way back in 1971! Anyway, it's another movie to add to my Watch List.

HELP!?: A few weeks ago I started half-watching a movie (I was distracted so only caught the highlights) about a police officer/detective who works nights, and unknown to him his wife goes into labor when he's out on the case, I think in a subway station. He has a interaction with a woman at the scene of whatever is going on. She seems to know him. At the end she says "congratulations on your new daughter" and then somehow manages to fall and get killed by a train. The premise is this woman shows up in his life every 9 years, and she's from the future. The next scene is daughter is 9 years old (mom died during childbirth). Then something came up and I had to turn the movie off, but my thought was it was getting interesting and I'd go back and watch the whole thing. Which I tried to do yesterday.

Well, I didn't catch the title of it at the time. I don't have cable TV so watch either Amazon Prime or Netflix. Neither one of them indicates I'd watched this show, and I have not seen it in recommendations. Does this movie sound familiar to anyone here? Title?

jbseth

Hi Deb,

I'm sorry but we've been binge watching "Stargate" now for quite a while now and haven't seen anything else. I don't have a clue about this movie.  It doesn't sound familiar at all, but it sure does sound interesting.  If I come across anything like that, I'll let you know.

-jbseth 

inavalan

Quote from: Deb
Now the Lathe of Heaven was a new one to me and sounds really good. I read the Wiki on the book and there seemed to be a LOT of stuff going on in it, with a unique premise. It was also very interesting to me the issues the book predicted we'd have to deal with in the future—especially global warming. I didn't realize it was a topic way back in 1971! Anyway, it's another movie to add to my Watch List.

I watched both versions. The 2002 version missed the point of the book.

Although this wasn't the author's intention, to me the story could've been a take on what's happening at / after death: George died in the nuclear explosion, and doesn't realize it. He notices that he changes reality, and finds a more likely explanation is that his "effective" dreams do that. I propose that this is what's happening after death when you don't realize you died, and aren't skilled in controlling your emotions which materialize as your reality.

I agree with the author's contention (confirmed in the interview) that good intentions, acted upon by unskilled individuals, are most likely to end up disastrously. A more passive, reserved, cautious attitude is advisable.

Unexpectedly thought provoking movie / book / author! Thanks @Deb for instigating this experience.  :)

jbseth

Hi Chasman, Hi inavalan, Hi All,

Chasman, thanks for posting the link to the movie. I do believe after going to your link and reading about this movie, it probably is the one that Deb was talking about.

From the link I get that the movie was rather muddled. I read the movie critique and the spoiler alerts at this link and having done so, I'm not sure I'll take the time to watch the movie itself. I still might though.

Inavalan, it sounds to me like one of the themes of the book, "The Lathe of Heaven", could be the proverbial, "Watch what you ask for, you just might get it."

-jbseth 

chasman

Deb

Quote from: chasman
hey Deb,
         I googled.
is it this:

Holy mackerel Charlie, that's it! How on earth did you do that? I looked through Netflix and Amazon twice, Googled the plot, and got nothing. I finally gave up, thinking some day I'll come across it. Well, today is that some day. Thank you so much, it was driving me nuts!

I watched maybe half of Lathe last night but was too tired to continue. The old 1980 movie is, well, old and I'm glad I knew what was going on from the Wiki because I don't think it was that clear in the movie. But enjoyable. I think I'd probably really enjoy the book. I'll watch the interview and review too.

So... I've been hearing about Cloud Atlas lately and decided I'll watch that as soon as I get the time. A little coincidence: Someone gave me a Condé Nast Traveler magazine (Nov 2019, yes I'm a time traveler), which is not something I'd pick up myself. Not the way I like to travel, too snooty. But I was leafing through it this morning, looking at pretty destination pictures, and came across this on page 124: An article on travel to Kyrgyzstan, and it looks great. And the title of the article? See the attached photo.

Quote from: inavalan
Unexpectedly thought provoking movie / book / author! Thanks @Deb for instigating this experience. 

Ha ha, I'm the Chief Instigator. :)

PS Exciting news, Rich Kendall (NY Boys fame) asked me to design/style/layout his new book. It's the first time I've done an actual reading book as opposed to a couple of small art books I've done in the past, so it's something new for me and there's lots to learn.
Like Like x 1 View List

jbseth

Hi Deb,

Awesome sync event regarding "Cloud Atlas" :)

-jbseth

Sena

Sound of My Voice (2011)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748207/

https://youtu.be/zwGGuFjAL6U

This is an excellent film, starring Brit Marling. How far it is consistent with the Seth teachings could be a matter for debate. The story is about a woman named Maggie who claims to have traveled back in time from 2054. She appears to be the leader of a cult, and is being investigated by the FBI for some criminal activity. There is some reference to the theme of reincarnation. The dramatic tension is provided by the question, is it or is it not a cult? I won't reveal the ending because that is the best bit of the film.

chasman

you are very welcome Deb.
I just kept Googling searching trying different things.
I think terms Netflix, and every 9 years were the biggest help.
super awesome about the Rich Kendall book.
are you allowed to tell us if it will be about Seth?

Deb

Quote from: chasman
super awesome about the Rich Kendall book.
are you allowed to tell us if it will be about Seth?

Sorry for the delay, I've been really tied up with this project. I'm sure he won't mind me saying the book is a collection of short stories, observations and poetry inspired by Seth, experiences attending the sessions, his friendship with Jane and Rob... that sort of stuff. He's very creative.

chasman

totally excellent, cool awesome.
thanks Deb.
you are amazing to the max!!!!

any idea when it will be released?
I want to buy it.    :)

Deb

Rich is hoping the book will be available by Christmas, which is a very generous deadline. Once I can figure out the software challenges, it will be full speed ahead.

Of course I'll make an announcement when his book is ready for purchase. With his previous two books, as I tend to collect signed books, he suggested I purchase the book on Amazon, have it sent to his home address, so he could sign it with a personal message and then mail it to me. I'll also provide those details when the time comes.

chasman

awesome Deb, thank you so much!!!   :)
how fun that a new book on Seth stuff is coming out!!
and soooo awesome that you are working on it!!

do you know if there will be Kindle and Audible versions?

Deb

The book will be in print and Kindle, not Audible. And yes to it being awesome that I'm working on it, I'm so happy to be involved with anything having to do with Seth!

chasman

thank you very much Deb!!

super good and fabulous!!!!    :)

Deb

I just have to say I'm REALLY enjoying this project. Today there were quite a few things I entered into the book that I was just dying to share here, but can't/won't. Rich really gets it. I hope the book does well for him.

jbseth

Hi Deb,

Thank you very much for sharing this information.

Like others here I'm sure, I'm very excited to purchase a copy of this book once it becomes available.
I really liked his book, "The Road to Elmira."

-jbseth

chasman

wow!! thank you Deb!!!
I am soooo super looking forward to reading this!!

Deb

Quote from: jbseth
I really liked his book, "The Road to Elmira."

FYI Rich is considering making that book into audio, which I think is the way to go. The book is also titled Part 1, so I'm hoping he also comes out with a Part 2 at some point.

LarryH

I just watched an obscure movie that turned out to be about reincarnation called I Origins. It started a little slow, but got better as it went along. A scientist who does not believe in spiritual stuff meets a woman, and this starts a series of events that leads to a final discovery.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk4briOLrTQ

Sena

Quote from: LarryH
I just watched an obscure movie that turned out to be about reincarnation called I Origins
@LarryH I watched this last year and refreshed my memory of it yesterday (on Netflix UK). It is an interesting mix of the theory of evolution, synchronicity, and reincarnation, with a bit of autism thrown in. It claims that a reincarnated individual could have the same iris pattern as her predecessor did in a previous life. I am not aware of any scientific evidence for this. It would seem that the makers of this film over-emphasize the physical as they are unwilling to accept a non-physical existence between lives.

LarryH

Yes, I've never heard of actual evidence that eye patterns would be the same in different reincarnations, but it does remind me of the idea that birth marks can relate to wounds from past lives, which seems to have significant anecdotal evidence.

LarryH

Reading a review of the movie, I found that Linklater is the guy driving the cab. He also directed School of Rock, which I loved, Bernie, which I liked, Boyhood, which I liked, and the animated A Scanner Darkly, which I did not see, but listened to the book by Philip K. Dick. I was creeped out by the book, so did not want to see the movie. I signed up for his Where'd You Go, Bernadette on Netflix, which sounded interesting.

Deb

Quote from: SpiceMerchant42
Richard Linklater is an awake, spiritual director. Check these out:

OK that was totally awesome, I wish the entire movie was just like that YouTube clip. I can't help but think Linklater has read Seth, as that was too perfect.

There are a lot of new (old) movies for me to check out though, based on the last two posts in this topic. That's one of the many things I love about this forum—new resources, authors, movies constantly being introduced because of the diversity of the members and our experiences.

Oooo, I just had the weirdest thought that this forum is similar to an entity, and we are in a way like the splinters or offshoots of an entity having and sharing different experiences.  :o
Like Like x 1 View List

strangerthings

As Above So Below

The Color of Magic (I love this movie lol its kinda Sethian and kinda not but its so good!)

OA (netflix series)

Celestine Prophecies

The Matrix

Dark City

Tv show Fringe ( oh the science!)

Believe it or not tv show LOST

What Dreams May Come

The Fountain

The X Files Season 10 Episode 4

Red Lights - I absolutely loved this movie it is about Psychics and how they hook people and a real psychics journey - I really enjoyed this movie

As I remember the movies and tv shows I will add to this post under the line

The Discovery - Robert Redford, about afterlife discovery (it is interesting to note that his newest project titled "The Desert of the Real" as its executive producer, is from a line in The Matrix, and this documentary of his is about the effects of children and virtual reality)
Like Like x 1 View List

strangerthings

LarryH

There is a new show on NBC: Ordinary Joe, that follows three different probable realities starting from one point in time. His choice at that point is different, leading to these three different version of his life. He is a cop, musician, or doctor in the three probabilities. The story quickly flips from one to another, and you really have to pay attention to keep up with which probable reality is being depicted. But there are some quick visual aids: his hair style differs, he has a beard in one, glasses in another. But there is actually a different color scheme in the different probabilities as well. The same characters are in all three, but with different relationships. This is not a metaphysical show, not suggesting that these different probabilities all have their own reality, though Seth readers can easily view it that way. Instead, it's more of a "what if I had gone left instead of right?" sort of show, but there is not one version that is supposed to be the "real" version. I don't give this a high recommendation, but it's an interesting concept. I have watched two episodes. If you are curious and have not seen it, you can pick it up on NBC.com.
Like Like x 2 View List

strangerthings

Quote from: Sena on October 16, 2019, 06:36:55 AMSound of My Voice

I am curious why you liked this movie?

I watched it but I came away with a totally different perspective LOL

Sena

Quote from: strangerthings on September 29, 2021, 09:57:36 PM
Quote from: Sena on October 16, 2019, 06:36:55 AMSound of My Voice

I am curious why you liked this movie?

I watched it but I came away with a totally different perspective LOL
St, yes there is too much violence in the series, which is unpleasant. What I found interesting was the Sethian "probable selves" of the Britt Marling character.

P.S. I am a bit confused about this. What I recall is a TV series on Netflix starring Britt Marling, whereas I see that "Sound of my Voice" is a standalone movie.

P.P.S. The TV series with Britt Marling is The OA, which is where the probable selves come in. My mind is a blank about the Sound of my Voice.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4635282/?ref_=nm_knf_t2

strangerthings

Quote from: Sena on September 29, 2021, 10:18:00 PMP.S. I am a bit confused about this. What I recall is a TV series on Netflix starring Britt Marling, whereas I see that "Sound of my Voice" is a standalone movie.

P.P.S. The TV series with Britt Marling is The OA, which is where the probable selves come in. My mind is a blank about the Sound of my Voice.

Yes! The OA was great!

The other one .... no. IMHO

Deb

I LOVED OA, very well done. I still can't believe they cancelled the series.  :(

Well, so now I have a list of great movies and series that's long enough to carry me through another winter!
Funny Funny x 1 View List

strangerthings

What is going on with the thumb! (invisible laugh emoji)

Deb