Solar Eclipse Effect

Started by jbseth, January 09, 2020, 10:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbseth

inavalan

Addicted to fake news? ... bing!  :)

Deb

Actually it looks pretty cool. In another photo, it does look more like an eclipse than horns (or a bra, lol). I went to a park in Golden (home of Coors!) with a friend for the solar eclipse a couple of years ago. It really was an interesting and weird experience. When it was waning, we headed to our cars and I noticed while walking on a sidewalk shaded by a tree, hundreds of eclipses were replicated between the leaf shadows. I didn't expect that. I'm attaching a photo. Sorry, it's large so you can see more detail.

Fake news, lol. It's everywhere. We need to question everything.

jbseth

Hi Deb,

This photo of those partial moon circles is really awesome.

I have a physics book that was written at a community college level. This physics book contains general physics concepts but little math and it appears to be written for people who aren't going to be physicists but need to know something about physics.  Anyway, this book contains an image of this very same concept and I've always wondered if it truly was real.

I kick myself because I knew about this phenomenon before the 2017 eclipse, but at the time of the eclipse, I didn't think to get a photo of it.

Its awesome to see that someone I know, did, in fact, take a photo of this phenomenon and it really is real.

Thanks for sharing that with us Deb.

-jbseth

Deb

Glad I could lay a question of yours to rest! Do you suppose that's a little synchronicity? I had no idea of the effect, it took me a moment to realize what I was seeing and looked it up when I got home.

I'm just thinking about the odds of someone having a random question (random because how often do we see total solar eclipses?) and I, a person you wouldn't know if we didn't have this forum, just happened to have the answer and a photo to prove it? This is fun.

jbseth

Hi Deb,

Attached is a photo of the physics book I own called, "Conceptual Physics", Nineth Ed, by Paul G. Hewitt.

In addition to this, attached is a photo from this physics book about the images of the sun that comes through a tree and how they look like crescents during a partial eclipse.

The caption under the photo says, "The circular spots of light surrounding Lillian Le are images of the sun, cast through small openings between leaves above. During the partial eclipse, the spots are crescents."

I've always wondered about the comment that was made in this caption.

On the one hand, from my college physics classes, I wasn't certain that the light coming through a tree, during a partial eclipse, would necessarily show up in crescent form. I wondered if this might be based upon an old wives tale instead. 

On the other hand, I seriously doubted that any legitimate physics book would contain a story that was based upon an old wives tale and not something that was actually true.

Your photo, definitely answered that question for me.

Oh, and definitely yes to the synchronicity. Personally, I think that the timing of this event, makes it one of the most interesting sync events that we've had here. Especially given the time differentials that have occurred.

I first saw this image in this Physics book in perhaps 2010.  Then, we both saw the total solar eclipse in different parts of the country, in August, 2017. During that time you more or less accidently came upon the images of the crescent shapes through the trees and took a photo of them.  I believe it was sometime after this that we came to know of each other through this Seth forum. Then finally, here we are in January 2020 and we've sharing this information about your photo.

Wow that's really awesome Deb. Thanks for sharing this.   :)

- jbseth

Deb

Quote from: jbseth
I first saw this image in this Physics book in perhaps 2010.  Then, we both saw the total solar eclipse in different parts of the country, in August, 2017.

Wow, very cool. I'm attaching a detail shot from my photo, and since I'm into details lol, here are some more dates:

I started this forum 12/13/14
jbseth joined the forum 11/03/16
my photo is dated 8/21/17 11:57 AM (eclipse started 11:37 AM in the Denver area)

Maybe a numerologist would have something to say about all of that.

It would be so cool for me to be able to visit my 8/21/17 self and say the photo might be significant some day. Actually, maybe I did just now! I had taken a few pictures of the sidewalk at that time, only kept one of them and I don't even know why I saved it. So maybe now I have the answer. And this encourages me to keep looking for synchronicities. I just had a small one a couple of days ago, I suppose I should add it to that topic.

What's the publication date of the physics book?

jbseth

Hi Deb,

In the inner page of this physics book, it says that it was "written and illustrated by Paul G. Hewitt, City College of San Francisco". The copyright date was 2002.

I suspect that we are all involved in many interesting sync events like this that occur throughout our lives and, for the most part, we are often never even aware that they occurred.

I think that what's is really cool here is that by talking about this, we've become aware of this specific sync event that has taken place between us.  Very, very cool.  ;D

-jbseth

jbseth

Hi Deb,

I forgot to mention in my last post.

During several different times over the last few years, in this forum, we've been involved in conversations having to do with physics and concepts like relativity, the speed of light, time dilation, etc.

Many of my comments were taken from material that came from this specific physics book, because it is very well written breaking down many complex physics concepts in easy to understand layman's terms.

-jbseth

LarryH

So here's the pic that I took somewhere in GA during the 2017 eclipse. When I saw Deb's photo, my first thought was, "How did she get my photo?"

Deb

Well, well, well, how interesting! I dragged your image to my Desktop to see the time it was taken, just curious how close in time we'd taken our photos. Yours says 8/21/17 at 2:38PM, which would be 12:38AM my time. I took mine 11:57 AM, approximately 40 minutes earlier. As the shape/size of the crescents look similar in both photos (as far as progress of the position of the moon), I suppose this could be attributed to our different locations (lat & long).

From http://www.americaneclipse2017.org/eclipse-phenomena/ :

"One of the most noticeable effects are the little crescent shadows that appear on the floor. Anything that can cast a shadow while allowing small amounts of sunlight to peer through can create this effect. Trees tend to be good at showing this off quite nicely."

Found this really clear photo of the effect, attached.