You Create Your Reality

Started by jbseth, February 14, 2020, 12:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbseth

Hi All,

To me, Seth's phrase "you create your reality" is one of the main cornerstones of all his teachings. This concept is HUGE.

Over the years, there has been many times, not only here in this forum, but in other situations as well, where I have talked to people about this concept. Furthermore, for the most part, whenever I've wanted to clarify what Seth has to say about this concept, I've typically referred back to either "Seth Speaks" or "The Nature of Personal Reality".  However, if you look into these two books, what he actually says about this topic, seems to be scattered about, in piecemeal, across many different sessions. You have to read a lot of his material in order to piece this concept all together.

This morning, as I was reading through some sections of "Mass Events", I came across something that definitely caught my eye. In Chapter 5 of this book which is titled, "The Mechanics of Experience", in the very first session, Session 830, Seth explains in very specific details the concepts involved in the phrase, "you create your reality".   Given that I've completely read this book on 2 separate occasions and that I've read through parts of it here and there many times, I'm somewhat surprised by this discovery today; isn't it really interesting how this kind of thing sometimes happens.

Anyway, in Session 830, Seth talks about how in this reality, we focus upon physical events and that we usually think that our feelings about an event, are reactions to it. Instead he tells us that our feeling are Primary and the event is really just a response to our emotions; it's not the other way around. He also says that in order to become aware of this idea, that we create our reality, we have to "awaken" to normal reality, much like how we "awaken" from a dream.  In addition to this, he also talks about why he mentions this idea here in Mass Events and not in his earlier books. Here's what Seth says about you create your reality in Session 830:

Sorry but you must log in to view spoiler contents.

-jbseth

T.M.

Hi All,
Hi Jbseth,

Thank you for this reminder!  I've been really having to remind myself of this lately. With all that's going on these days it's easy to forget this! For me anyways :)

chasman

thank you very much for posting this jbseth.
I have only read what you said, not the Seth quote.

but I super look forward to reading it.   :)

Sena

Quote from: jbseth
Even those of you who intellectually agree that you form your own reality find it difficult to accept emotionally in certain areas. You are, of course, literally hypnotized into believing that your feelings arise in response to events. Your feelings, however, cause the events you perceive. Secondarily, you do of course then react to those events.
jbseth, thanka for reminding us of this important teaching.

The Individual and the Nature of Mass Events Chapter 5: Session 830, March 27, 1978

https://youtu.be/MP4llGHFw9U

This quote is at 28:17 of the video clip.

Thanks to Grace Butler: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvphEVuU81amZ_5K0_y5EFg

jbseth

Hi Sena,

Hey thanks for that post. I didn't realize that any of the Seth information was put on video clips, such as that. That is awesome.

I looked through some of this video and its contains much of the information that I've recently read in my "Mass Events" book.

Interestingly enough, as I completed reading the words on the specific pages of the video, I kept wanting to move the slide bar on my laptop down to advance the video to the next page (kind of like you do with a Kindle) but this just doesn't work with the video.  Duh!  :)

Thanks for bringing this Seth book video availability to my attention.

-jbseth

Sena

Interestingly enough, as I completed reading the words on the specific pages of the video, I kept wanting to move the slide bar on my laptop down to advance the video to the next page (kind of like you do with a Kindle) but this just doesn't work with the video.  Duh! 
jbseth, I think that is because I have "shared" the video and I wanted to highlight that particular passage. If you go to Grace Butler's page on Youtube, you should be able to move the cursor to any point on those videos.

Deb

Anyway, in Session 830, Seth talks about how in this reality, we focus upon physical events and that we usually think that our feelings about an event, are reactions to it. Instead he tells us that our feeling are Primary and the event is really just a response to our emotions; it's not the other way around. He also says that in order to become aware of this idea, that we create our reality, we have to "awaken" to normal reality, much like how we "awaken" from a dream.

I've read that a few times myself, how our feelings cause events we perceive and not the other way around. While it's always been a difficult thing for me to "know," I think I have seen some evidence of this in my life, at least with little things. Funny, I ended up pulling out my old copy of Mass Events to read session 830 because I wasn't logged in at the time and spoilers can't be read unless you're logged in. Anyway, there in yellow highlighter were the sentences about feelings being primary, our subjective world causes our physical experiences, our feelings cause the events we perceive, and to understand we create our own reality requires an "awakening."  That sentence about when people "awaken" while still in a dream was perfect... that's lucid dreaming, and we need to do a little more lucid awakening. Interesting concept.

I feel the full understanding of how our feelings cause events is the key to reality creation. Once someone really masters that, they hold the keys to the kingdom. I think I'm going to do some experimenting with this, set up some scenarios for myself to see how things turn out when I'm in different moods. For instance, I already know that technical issues with my computer are in direct proportion to my state of stress or anxiety. If I walk away from the computer and do something to distract myself, later I go back and things are easily fixed. Or the problem went away by itself.  :o

One other thing I found interesting about Session 830: Session 831 is dated January 15, 1979. Rob's notes said Jane hadn't held a session for Mass Events for 9-1/2 months. I found that odd, but with Seth being Seth, he was able to pick right up where he left off. :)

chasman

jbseth, I read the quote.

to me, one of Seth's best.

thank you for your awesome post Deb.

I super agree with you. :)

jbseth

Hi All,

For me, Seth's concepts having to do with the individual and the nature of mass events are some of the most difficult of all of his concepts, to grasp.  I constantly find myself struggling with them.

Why do I struggle with these? Because, oftentimes, it seems to me that in regards to mass events, we don't create our reality. Instead, in many situations, it seems like mass events just seem to "happen to us". Do you ever feel like that too?

Whenever, I get confused about this issue, I find that I often end up going back to Seth's "Mass Events" book and once again try to sort it all out. And while I still don't think that I've ever sorted it all out completely yet, for myself, I do seem to be getting better and better at sorting it out, each time I do this.

Here's the thing, in regards to the individual and the nature of mass events, I've come to the conclusion that this subject is incredibly complex and there are many issues involved with it. This is the reason why it's always been so hard for me to sort it all out. 

Recently I've discovered that along with everything else, man's intent, his purpose and the meaning of life all also play a part in this (see NOME, Ch 5, Sessions 832 and 833). Furthermore, in this same set of sessions, Seth also talks about conflicting or cross purposes (kind of like conflicting beliefs in NoPR). I've never picked up on this specific topic here previously.

Now, I can understand how an individual, for their own particular reasons, may choose to become ill and potentially die, as a result of, for example, the flu. Furthermore, I can also understand how many people can chose to do this very same thing, at about the same time and as a result, the world ends up with a massive epidemic. Such as the Spanish flu epidemic that occurred at the end of WW1, where millions of people died over a relatively short period of a few years.  Each person who participated in this event, did so for their own particular reasons.

I can also understand how an individual, for their own particular reasons, may choose to live in a particular location, and in doing so potentially risk their lives, as a result of it.  People who choose to live in Los Angeles, probably realize that they are opting to live in an earthquake zone.  People who live in Miami, Florida, probably realize that they are opting to live in a hurricane zone. People who live in Kansas, probably realize that they are opting to live in a tornado zone.  People who live near a river (such as Rob and Jane) probably realize that they are opting to live in a flood plain.  Thus, mass events in the form of natural disasters, probably don't come as an exact surprise to many of the people who live in these regions.

How and why people opt to choose to participate in other mass events, such as wars and/or starvation, are a little more difficult to understand, but I do believe that each person chooses to do so for their own reasons.

In regards to this topic of mass events, I find the following comment located in NoME, seems to speak to how no external event can kill us, if we don't want to die.

NOME, Ch1, Session 801:

It is not understood that before life an individual decides to live. A self is not simply the accidental personification of the body's biological mechanism. Each person born desires to be born. He dies when that desire no longer operates. No epidemic or illness or natural disaster — or stray bullet from a murderer's gun — will kill a person who does not want to die.

Then, along with this, the following 2 comments from NoME, also seems to speak to how we don't always "consciously" realize how we opt to participate in life.

NOME, Ch1, Session 801:

To some degree, epidemics and recognized illnesses serve the sociological purpose of providing an acceptable reason for death — a face-saving device for those who have already decided to die. This does not mean that such individuals make a conscious decision to die, in your terms: But such decisions are often semiconscious (intently). It might be that those individuals feel they have fulfilled their purposes — but such decisions may also be built upon a different kind of desire for survival than those understood in Darwinian terms.

NOME, Ch4, Session 827:

If you are involved in any kind of mass happening, from a concert to an avalanche, you are aware on other levels of all of the actions leading to that specific participation. [/b]If buildings are constructed of bricks quite visible, so mass events are formed by many small, invisible happenings — each, however, fitting together quite precisely in a kind of psychological masonry in which each of you has a mental hand. This applies to mass conversions and to natural disasters alike.

Given all of this, I've come to believe that when Seth tells us that, "we create our reality", I think he really means just that.  Even in terms of mass events. Now, in support of this, I've discovered that in his NoME book, he makes the statement, "you create your reality" or something very similar to this on at least 9 different occasions; it's as if he was really trying to hammer this point home.  Check it out here in the following spoiler below:

So, even in terms of mass events, I believe that Seth really wanted us to understand that we create our reality.

- jbseth

jbseth

Hi All,

Besides the NoME book, there are 3 other areas that I'm aware of where Seth talks specifically about mass events.  These areas are located in: 1) NoPR, Ch 18, S664 through S666, 2) NotP, Ch 9, S789, and 3) NotP, Ch 9, S792.

In NoPR, Seth primarily discusses natural events and then he goes into specific details behind the causes of the flood in June of 1972 that involved Jane and Rob. This is a pretty interesting read on the how's and why's behind this specific mass event.  The other 2 areas in NotP, are rather short, but these areas contain some very good information in them on mass events and so I've posted them in the 2 spoilers below.

In NotP, Ch 9, Session 789, Seth tells us the following, which I believe is very significant in regards to understanding the issues involved in reality creation and mass events.

NotP, Ch 9, Session 789:

You cannot force another person to experience an event he or she rejects. Nor can anyone act in like manner against you.

This specific comment, I suspect, probably applies to many of the topics that we've discussed here over the years.

-jbseth

Deb

For me, Seth's concepts having to do with the individual and the nature of mass events are some of the most difficult of all of his concepts, to grasp.  I constantly find myself struggling with them.

Why do I struggle with these? Because, oftentimes, it seems to me that in regards to mass events, we don't create our reality. Instead, in many situations, it seems like mass events just seem to "happen to us". Do you ever feel like that too?

Great post, I think you really gathered enough information together to explain how we still participate (or not) in mass events. It's very clear to me.

For some reason this for me has not been one of those concepts that has been hard to swallow due to Seth's explanations of the purpose of mass events/statements. My thought is if one feels things happen to us without our having acquiesced on some level, that makes us a victim of a random event. And if we to accept that we make our reality on an individual event, unwilling participation in a mass event would negate that, or it would become "you create your own reality sometimes, only when someone else doesn't interfere." Which could then lead to the two main official lines of consciousness for explanation: science, with the idea that our existence was an accident, there is no deeper meaning to life, there's nothing out there other than the physical universe. Or religions, where bad things happen to people because of a vengeful god, karma, evil and demons. How refreshing for Seth to tell us they are BOTH wrong and that there's more to reality than what meets the eye.  ;)

Of course, if I were to be on an airplane that's dropping like a rock, I can't say I'd be so eager to accept on a conscious level that I'd chosen that fate.

BTW I still need to read your most recent post jbseth.

jbseth

Hi Deb,

For me, this really isn't an issue of Seth saying something that I don't believe or have a hard time swallowing. That's definitely not the case here. I pretty much believe the majority of the things that Seth tells us.

I think the issue here, has to do with the statement that Seth makes below and with "conscious" awareness or perhaps even memory.

If you are involved in any kind of mass happening, from a concert to an avalanche, you are aware on other levels of all of the actions leading to that specific participation.

If I understand this statement above correctly, Seth is telling us that sometimes we aren't "consciously" aware of all of the actions that lead to our participation in some mass event.

Now, since I typically identify with my consciousness, whenever a mass event occurs, that I didn't agree to on a "conscious" level, (but may have agreed to, on other levels) AND when I forget that Seth makes the statement above, it tends to "feel" like, this was a mass event that "I" didn't choose to experience. And if I didn't choose to experience it, then it feels like it "happened" to me.

I think that the secret here, is to remember that Seth does tell us, what he says in the statement above.

-jbseth

Deb

Thanks for the clarification.

If I understand this statement above correctly, Seth is telling us that sometimes we aren't "consciously" aware of all of the actions that lead to our participation in some mass event.

Yes, that's what I've thought all along—most if not all mass events, whether good or bad, are agreed to or set up subconsciously, the same way we agree to to the general constraints or universal laws of our physical system (such as humans can't regrow a limb), but we wouldn't "know" that on a conscious level. I remember him talking about a plane crash, and also premonitions in dreams that may or may not be remembered on a conscious level.

• "I gave you one example that you understood clearly, when I spoke about the individual who wanted to catch a plane. All of his plans went wrong. His efforts seemed to be challenged at every turn. He was beset by difficulties. He missed his plane—the plane crashed."

• "If he knew later of the plane's fate, he thought "How lucky for me that my plans were thwarted." If he never learned of the crash, he might think that he was simply beset by distractions, and that his efforts went nowhere. The same thing can happen, however, where no crashes or disasters are involved, and no dangers are implied, but where events that do not fit into your implied pattern intrude into it."

—TPS4 Deleted Session July 5, 1978

• "An easy enough example is the case where an individual with no memory [of such a dream] decides to cancel a plane trip on a given day, and later discovers that the plane crashed. [...]"

• "[...] This does not mean that any of those people could bear consciously knowing their own decisions — or could board that plane with the conscious consequences in mind."

—NotP Chapter 11: Session 796, March 7, 1977

I have an amazing story to share by a friend from Boston regarding 911, a situation he witnessed at an airport. I'll try to find it in Facebook, he reposts it every Sept. 11. If I find it, I'll put it up.

T.M.

Hi All,

When I was reading through The Way Towards Health; I started wondering how/why Jane died, when she kept saying she wanted to live. I was really kinda confused how she failed to create the reality she claimed she wanted.

Towards the end of the book, she was having a conversation with Rob. She said, I guess I decided to die. A few days later she did.
I can't recall if it was in that book, or another. Seth commented that for obvious reasons, the death event, is usually withheld from the conscious mind, that that is decided on other levels of the personality. So yes, there can be some major happenings going on behind the screen of the conscious mind.

I tend to think that in mankind's current state of being, we are not aware enough of our complete selves, to be able to operate consciously on all levels there of.

This really doesn't negate that we still do create our own realities. Just that we don't allow ourselves the awareness of, how, when, where, why.

It's still pretty much an individual thing. Some people through inner work are quite aware of the various parts of themselves, and what they are doing. Others, so turned off and disconnected that for all practical intents they are victims.
Unknowingly, of themselves.

Deb

In my post above I mentioned an amazing 911 story, and I realized I'd put it up on the forum previously. Here's a link to and an excerpt from the post, it's not that long of a read.

Quote from: Deb
"This morning 16 years ago I was sitting at an American Airlines gate in Boston waiting to board a flight to London for my first business trip. What I didn't know was that all of the passengers boarding the flight before me (Flight 11) at the same gate would not be coming home. I remember one man missed Flight 11 that morning by a few seconds and was very agitated. I would later see him on the phone at Logan crying and telling his wife how much he loved her. I also remember the woman who a few minutes before him actually made the flight just before the doors closed...."

Deb

Quote from: T.M.
I tend to think that in mankind's current state of being, we are not aware enough of our complete selves, to be able to operate consciously on all levels there of.

I agree, I think Seth mentioned a few times that people used to be more in touch with their inner senses and it wasn't suppose to be like this. For some reason we allowed our ego to get out of control.