John Oliver and the coronavirus

Started by jbseth, March 15, 2020, 04:26:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbseth

Hi All,

I came across this 20 minute video today about the coronavirus by John Oliver and it's really funny.

It is however, very crude in some places and so if you don't want to be exposed to that please don't watch this video.

Anyway along with it being very funny, it's also seems to be somewhat factual and informative on what's been going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c09m5f7Gnic

-jbseth

Deb

Great funny video. I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, but still funny. While this situation is a real issue, people do need to lighten up and things like this are a good way to do it. Laughter is good for us. I spent a few minutes today laughing over Facebook memes about the virus, most of them having to do with TP. I was in a Walmart checkout line a couple of days ago, and the woman behind me and I were puzzling over and laughing at the TP thing (all store shelves here have been "wiped clean" of TP for several days now). She said, well if we run out, the trees will soon have leaves on them again. Hah. The woman in front of me had a cart of mostly food and said she was more afraid of having her 4 kids home for two weeks than the virus itself. Also, she had been all ready for the zombie apocalypse, but not this... must be a Walking Dead fan, lol. Here is one of my favorites from Facebook, plus a meme.

Top 5 Anti-Coronavirus Recommendations:

1) Don't lick doorknobs, shopping cart handles, or toilets. Honestly, just don't lick things at all. This goes double for random strangers, don't lick them either.

2) Keep your hands and fingers away from your face. Don't suck on your fingertips after shaking hands with someone, that's just creepy.

3) Wash your hands after being around bodily excretions of any form, whether yours or someone else's. This is also a good time to remember not to lick your fingers.

4) Keep a couple of N95 masks with you at all times. If someone near you sneezes without covering their nose or burying it in a sleeve, walk over and place a mask over their face. If they try to remove it, use duct tape or staples to keep it in place.

5) Keep a 55 gallon drum of hand sanitizer inside the front door to your home. Upon entering the house, disrobe and climb into the barrel, applying the sanitizer to every body part, crevice, and orifice, just to be safe. If possible, have a family member get the areas you can't reach. Avoid open flames for the next several minutes, or catching a virus will be the least of your worries.

Deb

Wait, I'm not done yet. I saw this yesterday.

Not related to the virus, but I thought it was brilliant. It's an author's, and he's still alive. I need to look into who he is and more about his books. He sounds like a really interesting guy, and there have been some connections I've had lately that steer me in his direction. https://www.audible.com/author/Lawrence-R-Spencer/B000APPGYK

LarryH

Someone texted me the question, "Why the bread aisle?" and included a pic of the empty bread shelves at her store.

I responded, "Maybe because it's soft and absorbent?"

Deb

Quote from: LarryH
I responded, "Maybe because it's soft and absorbent?"

Ewwww.

But perfect nonetheless. :)

jbseth

Hi All, Deb and LarryH,

I love the "reincarnating" headstone Deb.   :)

LarryH,

Regarding the bread, we eat a lot of what is called "Dave's Good Seed, Killer Bread" here. It has a lot of flax seed and sunflower seeds in it.  Thus, its really great but a very poor choice as a substitute for TP.   :)

-jbseth 

Sena

I thought of starting a new thread: "Silly reactions to coronavirus".

From today's newspaper:

"One woman was arrested for breaking the curfew and sunbathing in Palma, Majorca. She now faces a fine for civil disobedience."

Guilty of infecting seagulls?

Deb had posted elsewhere on the forum that sunlight is good to kill the virus.

Deb

Quote from: Sena
I thought of starting a new thread: "Silly reactions to coronavirus".

You mean like telling people they should gargle with bleach?

DO IT! I think that's a great idea. There are also so many incredibly clever and funny memes out there. And a lot of dumb stuff, such people not eating at Chinese or Italian restaurants because they're afraid to catch the virus.

And a lot of myths too.

And now I'm going for a walk to get some fresh air and sun. I'm listening to an audiobook Psycho-Cybernetics that Marianna recommended. It's light and positive, perfect. Marianna found out about it from the Seth books. https://findingseth.com/q/psycho-cybernetics/