The coronavirus

Started by jbseth, March 15, 2020, 10:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbseth

Hi All,

In regards to the coronavirus, I heard 2 interesting thought provoking things related to this topic today.

In 2008 Sylvia Browne wrote a book titled, "End of Days".  In this book, she made the following future prediction. Sylvia Browne died in 2013. 

"In around 2020 a severe pneumonia-like illness will spread throughout the globe, attacking the lungs and the bronchial tubes and resisting all known treatments. Almost more baffling than the illness itself will be the fact that it will suddenly vanish as quickly as it arrived, attack again ten years later, and then disappear completely."

It'll be interesting to see if the rest of her prediction here comes true.

During the Democratic Presidential Debate tonight between Bernie Sanders and Joe Biden, there was a brief discussion about the Mexican border and illegal aliens. The concept was mentioned that we won't be able to protect the lives of people here in the US from the coronavirus, if the illegal aliens who live here are afraid to seek out medical help for this disease if they're afraid of being deported.

Maybe one of the major purposes of this disease, has to do with making changes in the way we people here on earth do things, as Kryon indicated in his audio recording.

-jbseth

T.M.

Hi All,

Hi Jbseth,

I was listening to one of my Yt channels, about the Spanish Flu.
It stopped Nov 1919, the CV started in Nov 2019.

I got to wondering if it/us? something isn't following a linear timeline here?

Amazing Sylvia foresaw a flu like phenomenon too! 
Makes me wonder if this is happening all at once, in one go,
though we perceive it in specific time frames

Sena

Quote from: jbseth
Maybe one of the major purposes of this disease, has to do with making changes in the way we people here on earth do things
jbseth, I agree. It may be that unlimited travel between continents is unsustainable.

LarryH

My experience of this is similar to my reaction to when a hurricane is coming. Living in Florida, I have gone through that experience a few times, and I find these events to be fascinating, though not without concern. My mother is in a senior care facility 6 miles away, and they stopped all visitors last week. Libraries are closed until at least March 30 (and likely longer). Events that I would have gone to have been cancelled. Restaurants are still open for now. There are 4 known cases in my county, all quarantined. One daughter, in Maine, is a professor, and her classes are now online. Another daughter has a job that I hope she can continue to do safely.

Many of the most ill patients will be on one of four critical care ventilators that I designed or helped design. The idea of "flattening the curve" is to increase the chance that hospital beds, ventilators, and personnel are not overwhelmed at the peak of the pandemic.

I look forward to a time when we are past this, at which point a number of positive permanent changes will occur:

• Many businesses will have discovered that allowing some people to work at home actually works and will continue the practice. Same for education.

• The idea that healthcare is a basic right will become more popular, political resistance will decline, and in whatever form, more people will have access without going bankrupt.

• The environment will improve due to a permanent adjustment to reduced travel and less burning of fossil fuels.

• Corporations will multi-source components so they don't have to rely completely on components from one country. This may bring jobs back to this country.

Can you think of more positives?

Deb

Quote from: LarryH
Many of the most ill patients will be on one of four critical care ventilators that I designed or helped design.

That's very cool and it must be a good feeling to know you've contributed to helping others in a very real way.

The environment will improve due to a permanent adjustment to reduced travel and less burning of fossil fuels.

I've already seen articles on the pollution over China improved dramatically due to factory shutdowns. Also the water in the Venice canals has cleared and fish have returned. I haven't verified that second one, but there are several articles to that effect. I think we're going to see more things like this as these closures and shutdowns continue. Had a conversation with my son and his GF today about the shortages—parents are having a hard time buying disposable diapers and baby wipes. More hoarding. I said we may have to go back to simpler times for a while, cloth diapers and wash cloths. They didn't seem to know about laundering cloth diapers and washcloths, lol. Less stuff in landfills, not just diapers. I typically cook from fresh ingredients and I also can and freeze things in Ball jars, so even my recycling has been shrinking. The FB canning group I belong to (Small Batch Bitches) has had a surge in membership lately, to the point that the Admin asked everyone what their reason for joining was out of curiosity. People are canning for the fist time and finding they get a lot of satisfaction from it.

I think things like this will be an eye-opener as people are forced to stay home and they have the chance to reflect on our hectic and throw-away society and how much of that they really need. Does the person who bought two huge shopping carts of TP at Costco, or rudely grabbed a shopping cart out from someone else's hands, or started a shouting or boxing match over some object in a store begin to look at themselves? Hopefully.

I've already witnessed people offering to pick up food and other necessities for friends, neighbors, seniors. And not only to people they know, but in general through NextDoor. I went to the grocery store today to pick up a couple of things and many of the empty shelves have been restocked, people are not as grabby and agitated as they were the past 3 days.

Yes to more working from home. There are a lot of jobs that can be done from home, not all, but enough to make changes in pollution levels, use of fuel. Less stress too.

And multi-sourcing is a great idea. Being dependent on another country for such crucial things such as pharmaceuticals and durable medical goods will be devastating if that country becomes hostile or if something like this virus, earthquake, hurricane or war shuts it down. I'd like to see our pharmaceuticals be made here, not only for the first reason I mentioned but also quality control. I've read some articles on lax standards, poor sanitary conditions and payoffs. Not that that can't happen here, but hopefully we'd have more control and accountability. My son has T1 diabetes, his life depends on being able to get insulin. As far as I can tell, his is manufactured in Puerto Rico.

T.M.

Hi All,

I really hope the positives Larry H posted come from this too. Congrats too on being part of designing the ventilators!

Especially more manufacturing here at home. At one time America was pretty much completely self-sufficient. It would be wonderful to live that way again. To see other countries do the same as well.

I agree, if people have to stay home for awhile, maybe everyone will start asking questions about this reality, how they are living vs. how they would like to live, and start instituting and demanding positive changes for themselves; leading others to do the same.

Deb

Saw another change today, and while this may be temporary, it was wonderful to see. I went for a long walk, the weather was beautiful. Schools are closed, some offices, library, rec center, local community college. I saw things I probably haven't seen in 30 years and totally forgot about: people relaxing, talking, laughing, whole families doing things together. Normally here, in uber suburbia, kids are in school all day, parents are working, and the evenings and weekends are filled with school sports. Lots of rushing around, little time to relax and relate. Since so many things are shut down right now, families are "forced" to go out and walk, bike ride, play games, interact. Some little boys were playing in Big Dry Creek (which actually has water in it right now), the dads were nearby chatting. A couple of people were actually lying on their stomachs in the grass, looking around rather than staring at their phones. It all looked like something from a Normal Rockwell illustration. The good old days may be here for a little while.

LarryH

Your experience warmed my heart, Deb! I'm going to visualize that happening everywhere.

jbseth

Hi LarryH, Hi All,

LarryH. That's really great that you helped design these ventilator. I'm really glad that you did this as these will be really important right now. Thank you for doing that.  :)

Here's a couple of other ideas I have:

People will begin to realize that we're all in this together. No one country, by itself, will be able to either contain or solve problems like this coronavirus issue or climatic change. We must all work together to solve these problems.

People will begin to see that we need more honesty from our government officials. The issue that the Chinese officials may have lied or denied the reality of this outbreak early on, instead of taking appropriate action which could have minimized it's affects, really doesn't work for any of us.  People will start to demand more honesty from all government officials all across the globe.

-jbseth

jbseth

Hi All,

My neighbor across the street from us is an elementary school teacher. As my wife and I were walking around the block, this evening, we saw her and her husband out in their front yard and we had a brief conversation with them.

She told us that our local school district has just announced today that the schools in our part of the world (we live in a suburb of Portland, Oregon) which already were going to be closed until April 1, 2020, will now be closed until the end of April, 2020.

I'm wondering if there are other things like this going on where other members here live. Maybe we could keep each other informed of these things.

-jbseth

Deb

I'm wondering if there are other things like this going on where other members here live. Maybe we could keep each other informed of these things.

Well sure, a reasonable request.

I'm near Denver. Different counties have made different restrictions. But for the most part schools are closed for at least two weeks for now. "For now" is the key operative. Libraries are closed. Some colleges. Stores have shortened their open hours, both grocery and department stores. Local recreation centers closed. Some gyms.

Is anyone else weirded out by this?

LarryH

Here schools are closed. City playgrounds are closed. Bars are closed. Church services are canceled. Restaurants have curfews and are directed to cut capacity by 50%, and all tables need to be at least 6 feet apart. Grocery stores and Walmart are reducing hours to devote more time to cleaning. The first hour of business is for seniors only. I ate with a friend on the patio of a restaurant today, and business seemed normal. I'm not weirded out, though - more concerned for those who are more effected by this.

"Wave to me from a safe distance, I'm Irish."

Sena

Our 7-year-old grand-daughter has developed a cough. (Schools are still open in the UK). My sister, who is a nurse in London, has come down with fever and cough last night.

jbseth

Hi All,

I went to Winco here late Monday morning (a grocery store that's typically open 24 hours) and they've changed their hours from 8 am to midnight. The other businesses in this outside mall had virtually no cars in the parking lot. Then I went to a Costco yesterday afternoon to pick up a prescription for my wife and they were queuing people up in a long line outside and only letting so many people in at a time. The line outside was fairly long and the lines in the registers inside were also fairly long.

The traffic on the roads seemed to be somewhat less than normal, but this could partly be the result of no school buses running right now.

I would definitely say that this is "different". My wife and I talked to our grandson yesterday and he told us that he and his fiancé and their kids were all holed up in their apartment right now and he thought that this was all very "interesting". He said that he'd never experienced anything like this, and in reply, we told him that we hadn't either.

I think that it's important for us that we make use of our understandings of the Seth teachings here to keep away from the "fear" that some people seem to be exhibiting as a result of this situation.  Here, I'm talking about the people who are buying out all the toilet paper for example. They seem to be reacting to fear (buying all they can get right now and not being open to sharing with others) and not coming from a place of love (buying only what they need right now so that these items will be available to others as well). This coming from a place where we know that we create our reality, All-That–Is will provide as needed, Framework 2 is of a good intent, and so aren't most people.

Sena, I'll send my prayers to you and your family and I'll see (visualize) your grand-daughter and sister as getting better and better in the days ahead.  :)

-jbseth

Deb

Things are similar here, but things change as far as cautions, closings, restrictions. I was surprised to see a strip mall gym open yesterday, when all of our neighborhood recreation centers are closed.

They seem to be reacting to fear (buying all they can get right now and not being open to sharing with others) and not coming from a place of love (buying only what they need right now so that these items will be available to others as well). This coming from a place where we know that we create our reality, All-That–Is will provide as needed, Framework 2 is of a good intent, and so aren't most people.

Yes, fear, people feel a lack of control and so are over-buying and hoarding in order to feel like they are taking their control back. I'm so grateful for Seth, his information is reassuring on more than one level.

Young people (teens, 20s) don't seem concerned. Sounds like spring break is not being interrupted. My son and his GF (mid-20s) drove down to New Mexico yesterday for a planned vacation. They both have restaurant jobs, their hours are going to be cut in half when they get back. At least the restaurants will still be doing carry-out and deliveries. My son has two second jobs, dog walking and driving for DoorDash. He'll probably make more money delivering food because of the tips. Right now he's a cook, no tips in the kitchen.

Quote from: Sena
Our 7-year-old grand-daughter has developed a cough. (Schools are still open in the UK). My sister, who is a nurse in London, has come down with fever and cough last night.

I'm so sorry to hear that. They will be tested? As you know, I'm not a religious person, but I do pray at times and I said a silent prayer for them this morning, will keep them in my positive thoughts.

Sena

Quote from: Deb
They will be tested? As you know, I'm not a religious person, but I do pray at times and I said a silent prayer for them this morning, will keep them in my positive thoughts.
Deb, thanks for your prayer. Our grand-daughters cough has subsided. My sister's temperature is 38 degrees centrigrade, which is not bad. At present there is no testing in the UK even for hospital staff! Shocking. Only seriously ill hospital in-patients are tested.

Deb

Glad to hear they're doing ok—hopefully it's the regular flu or cold. 38C is not bad as you say, but it is a little higher than normal. They are saying many people are asymptomatic (which is a problem with spreading), and also others have mild symptoms. Your sister is a nurse, so she much have a pretty decent immune system. And I was thinking one of the reasons kids don't tend to get this virus is because they are loaded to the hilt with vaccinations, plus are always exposing each other to common viruses, so their immune systems have an advantage. I used to get sick all the time when I volunteered at my son's elementary school. Now I rarely get sick, maybe a mild cold every 2-3 years.

At present there is no testing in the UK even for hospital staff! Shocking. Only seriously ill hospital in-patients are tested.

That IS shocking! I bet that's one of the many things that will be changing as a result of this virus.

Sena

I bet that's one of the many things that will be changing as a result of this virus.
It will hopefully change. Today's paper is promising 25,000 tests a day.

Deb

Thanks Larry, that's great. I haven't meditated in a long time but I sure enjoy it when I do. I like guided meditations the most. I've always thought of myself as being more visual, but apparently I was wrong.

Now I'm going to listen to some Seth and can some beef stock. We're having a big snow storm today, a good day to stay indoors.

T.M.

Hi All,

Hi Sena, 
I hope your sister and grand-daughter are alright and have nothing worse than the common cold, and get well soon!

I'm in a small town that's situated between 2 larger towns. One of those towns is Vegas. Apparently the Vegans have been coming here buying all they can and then taking those supplies and re-selling for top dollar at home. :(
Even though my town is small, there's a huge number of people that live around it in unincorporated outlying areas.
Our stores are their only reasonable local to them available resources. This is desert area, where gardening doesn't do well at all.

I did the bulk of my shopping and reasonable prepping, which was cook from scratch basics and staples, before the panic buying hit. All I need now is minimal items. Good thing cause that's about all that's available now. I miss my fresh stuff, as that's what I was mostly trying to go with. Unfortunately fresh doesn't survive the long haul :(

Went shopping yesterday. Just went to a smaller grocery chain and a dollar store. Funny enough the dollar store had way more than the grocery store. I guess thankfully, the Vegans missed that one, lol. What I needed and wanted was there, when I was. 5 minutes after they put out hamburger, it was gone. Even with a limit of 2 packages per person, at the grocery store.
I would have picked up a bag of potatoes, they were out, at both stores I went to.
Unless they come out with some kind of rationing system, I'm not sure how Everyone is going to get by.

I hear the schools are closed.  I guess in the bigger cities of this state, Az, bars and restaurants are closed. I don't go out to eat often so am not sure what the local restaurants are doing. I imagine my town will soon follow whatever guidelines and regulations the state government advocates.
Just heard this morning some parts of California have instituted martial law.

Emotionally I'm bouncing between days of hopeful and happy, the 5 stages of grief, and outright anger. I bet a big wave of anger is going to be coming from the collective soon.
As Seth says I hope we as a people use that anger as a catalyst and motivation to build a better system for all of us.

Sena

Quote from: T.M.

Hi Sena, 
I hope your sister and grand-daughter are alright and have nothing worse than the common cold, and get well soon!
T.M., thanks for your wishes. Our grand-daughter is fine. I think my sister is having a fairly mild case of coronavirus.

Sena

Quote from: T.M.
One of those towns is Vegas. Apparently the Vegans have been coming here buying all they can and then taking those supplies and re-selling for top dollar at home.
Behaving in that way may result in bad karma.

Deb

Our grand-daughter is fine. I think my sister is having a fairly mild case of coronavirus.

Good news Sena, thank you for the update.

LarryH

Two nights ago, I had a dream in which I was saying goodbye to my toddler son (that I don't have in waking life). He was dressed in a spacesuit and was about to go on a space mission alone, the first toddler in space. I encouraged him, told him I loved him and was proud of him, and watched him step onto the gantry to enter the spaceship.

My sense upon awakening was that this was related to the social distancing/isolation imposed by the pandemic. The toddler represents me in a new life condition, protected in a suit, but traveling into the unknown.

And then today, on unknowncountry.com, this article shows up: https://www.unknowncountry.com/headline-news/three-spacemen-offer-advice-on-staying-sane-in-the-face-of-pandemic-based-isolation/

Sena

And then today, on unknowncountry.com, this article shows up: https://www.unknowncountry.com/headline-news/three-spacemen-offer-advice-on-staying-sane-in-the-face-of-pandemic-based-isolation/
Larry, thanks for the link to that website. I found this article:

https://www.unknowncountry.com/dreamland/joseph-farrell-on-the-complex-geopolitical-crisis-being-caused-by-coronavirus-and-much-more/

"Joseph Farrell returns with an in depth discussion of the countries that are being hurt by the coronavirus situation and the ones that are benefiting from it–and yes, there are some. So, does this mean that the virus IS a bioweapon? The evidence is actually much more complex than the conspiracy theorists would have us believe, and as always, Joseph explores the situation from his unique, and uniquely informed perspective. Bioweapon or not, it is changing the geopolitical balance and possibly even destabilizing the regimes of some hugely powerful international players."

jbseth

Hi LarryH,

Dreams always seem to be so full of symbolism. I think that each person is probably in the best position for interpreting their own dreams and I think that you've done it here.

Some of the things that I've picked up on, is the possibility that the toddler son in your dream, may also have represented your younger self.

The space suit may have represented a hazmat suit.

Going out into space alone, may have also represented "going it alone" or possibly "going out into public alone", which is something that many people are doing right now (to get groceries, TP, etc.).

Many times I've had dreams, where some time after having the dream, some of the dreams events or dream symbolism seem to actually show up in waking life. I definitely think that this is at least some of what was going on for you here in this dream, given the nature of the article in "unknown country".

Thanks for sharing this.

- jbseth

LarryH

Here's a 6-minute YouTube of someone demonstrating how the ventilator that I designed can be used for four patients at once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=364&v=uClq978oohY&feature=emb_title

I was not looking for this, it was a link in a news feed that I subscribe to. I had heard of someone using a different ventilator who claimed that it could be used on 9 patients at once. Most low-end ventilators would probably not be able to do this (such as the portable type that GM will be manufacturing for a different company).

Deb

VERY cool video, I love how there are people in times like these that get very resourceful and creative. And so rewarding for you, I'm sure, to be a help in a time like this. I bet you had no clue when you were designing it that it would be used to save lives in a pandemic. Want to go back and talk with the you that designed it?

Every day I hear stories of companies and individuals who really step up to the plate and help others, whether its donations of medical goods, money, food, or those that dig right into researching the virus, treatments, prevention and cures. And the people in the medical fields are working as hard as they can... all heroes in my mind.

BTW I thought your dream and interpretation were very cool, feels right to me. My dreams tend to be mundane and monotonous. I was having a dream about being in an amazing house this morning and was walking with and telling a young woman how I would love to be able to buy the house. When I work up, I realized we'd had had our arms around each other's waist as we were walking (we seemed to be related somehow) and my first thought was "I'm not keeping social distance in my dreams."  ::)

chasman

interesting article.
apologies if someone posted this already on another thread.

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-the-hammer-and-the-dance-be9337092b56

Deb

Yes, interesting article. The author appears to trust that China has been truthful in its reporting of cases and deaths and success in containing the virus outbreak. I've read that some Chinese documents have been leaked that indicate they have been totally underreporting figures, so I'd hate to rely on them for accurate data. Time will tell.

Yet I'm all in favor of "strong coronavirus measures" because I see that not everyone is willing to stay home for a few weeks on the "honor" system. In a unique situation like this, I have no problem with something like that being enforced. I wouldn't feel my personal freedoms were being violated as long as it's temporary. For now we're still allowed to go out for walks as long as we keep our distance. That's all I need, otherwise I'll have to walk circles in my back yard which would still be ok with me.

I found out the other day that the CDC has had a National Pandemic Strategy in place since 2000. I'm curious if the guidelines are being followed. I haven't read the documents, will take a look at them when I have time. The Implementation Plan is probably what I need to read, but it's 233 pages. https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/national-strategy/index.html

Sena

The author appears to trust that China has been truthful in its reporting of cases and deaths and success in containing the virus outbreak. I've read that some Chinese documents have been leaked that indicate they have been totally underreporting figures, so I'd hate to rely on them for accurate data. Time will tell.
Deb, it appears that the Chinese have some explaining to do:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8163767/Downing-Street-says-China-faces-reckoning-coronavirus.html

Deb

Thank you for the link, it's an interesting and informative article. On the same page was this article on the markets in China being reopened. It made me feel sick.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8163761/Chinese-markets-selling-bats.html

"The market in Guilin was packed with shoppers yesterday, with fresh dog and cat meat on offer, a traditional 'warming' winter dish."

"The markets have gone back to operating in exactly the same way as they did before coronavirus.
"The only difference is that security guards try to stop anyone taking pictures which would never have happened before."

I'm speechless.

jbseth

Hi All,

Sadly, the coronavirus is having its affects. Below are 3 items that I came across in the news today.

As a Seth reader, when I come across these stories, I end up having a strange mixture of "feelings" and I'm sure that many of you can relate to what I'm talking about here. It's an odd mixture of both sadness and joy.

When people pass, I recognize that we won't be seeing or hearing from them any longer in this reality and this brings on some sadness. However, I also believe that where they are going is a wonderful place. Not just a wonderful place but a really, really "Fantastic" place and this brings on feelings of much joy for them.

I don't believe that this place they are going is a bad or terrible place, regardless of what many religions would have us believe and I also don't believe that they are going off into some "nothingness".

Along with this, I also believe that we each create our own reality and given what Seth tells us in Mass Events, nobody dies who doesn't want to die and some people die at an almost an conscious level of doing so.

Then again, I believe that some, many, or perhaps all of these people may have been or are my "counterparts".

With this strange mixture of feelings I have, I thank them for the experiences that they brought and shared with us and the rest world while they were here, and I wish for them that "Peace be with them in their travels".

- jbseth

Musician Alan Merrill died in New York Sunday due to complications from the coronavirus. His daughter Laura Merrill confirmed the news on Facebook. He was 69.

Born in the Bronx in New York City, Merrill was a member of the band The Arrows along with drummer Paul Varley and guitarist Jake Hooker. While in the band, he wrote the song "I Love Rock 'n' Roll" which the band released in 1975. The song would later become a chart topper for Joan Jett & The Blackhearts in 1982.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Alan+Merrill+dies&filters=tnTID%3a%22791C802B-73C5-4378-8E76-FD744BFDC9D7%22+tnVersion%3a%223459430%22+segment%3a%22popularnow.carousel%22+tnCol%3a%220%22+tnOrder%3a%22e9eff2b1-0661-481c-b584-1af75aae71a7%22&FORM=BSPN01

CBS News producer and talent executive Maria Mercader died of Covid-19 in New York Sunday, CBS said. She was 54.

Mercader worked at CBS for three decades, getting her start in the network's page program, CBS said in a release. She most recently worked as a director of talent strategy.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Maria+Mercader+CBS&filters=tnTID%3a%2235D449AC-C9C9-458e-A2B8-0CC3ACE80D60%22+tnVersion%3a%223459435%22+segment%3a%22popularnow.carousel%22+tnCol%3a%221%22+tnOrder%3a%22e9eff2b1-0661-481c-b584-1af75aae71a7%22&FORM=BSPN01

Beloved Japanese comedian Ken Shimura has passed away a week after contracting the coronavirus. He was 70. The Tokyo native was revered in his home country, where he is a household name and has been called "Japan's Robin Williams."

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Ken+Shimura+dies&filters=tnTID%3a%22DBA2C2F7-A2B1-4761-BEF9-0707D05263EE%22+tnVersion%3a%223459435%22+segment%3a%22popularnow.carousel%22+tnCol%3a%2210%22+tnOrder%3a%22e9eff2b1-0661-481c-b584-1af75aae71a7%22&FORM=BSPN01

Sena

I don't believe that this place they are going is a bad or terrible place, regardless of what many religions would have us believe and I also don't believe that they are going off into some "nothingness".
jbseth, thanks for the information. We have to be ready to go when the time is right. My understanding is that for some people with Covid19, the end is relatively painless.

Deb

When people pass, I recognize that we won't be seeing or hearing from them any longer in this reality and this brings on some sadness. However, I also believe that where they are going is a wonderful place. Not just a wonderful place but a really, really "Fantastic" place and this brings on feelings of much joy for them.

Yes, it certainly is a shame and hard to see the names of people we know as being infected or dying. I've been cutting back on my news exposure because it can be overwhelming.

I continue to remind myself of what I've been hearing in Mass Events, which helps, such as:

Quote from: Seth"People will die when they are ready to, following inner dictates and dynamics. A person ready to die will, despite any medication. A person who wants to live will seize upon the tiniest hope, and respond. The dynamics of health have nothing to do with inoculations. They reside in the consciousness of each being."
—NoME Chapter 1: Session 801, April 18, 1977

Quote from: Seth"To some degree, epidemics and recognized illnesses serve the sociological purpose of providing an acceptable reason for death — a face-saving device for those who have already decided to die. This does not mean that such individuals make a conscious decision to die, in your terms: But such decisions are often semiconscious (intently). It might be that those individuals feel they have fulfilled their purposes — but such decisions may also be built upon a different kind of desire for survival than those understood in Darwinian terms."
—NoME Chapter 1: Session 801, April 18, 1977

They are in a great place now. We also have no way of knowing whether any of these people would have died this year anyway, from something other than this virus. Like Kenny Rogers, Kobe Bryant, Lyle Waggoner, Max von Sydow, Robert Conrad, Kirk Douglas, and a bunch of other entertainers and celebs, young and old, that died this year. When I hear about someone like that dying, I do feel a twinge of sadness, because they brought people a lot of joy and will be missed.

Yesterday I listened to the chapter on mass meditations and really got a lot out of it, another thing I keep in mind when listening to or reading the news.

Chapter 2: 'Mass Meditations.' (A one-minute pause.) 'Health' Plans for Disease. Epidemics of Beliefs, and Effective Mental 'Inoculations' Against Despair:

Quote from: Seth"The breast cancer suggestions associated with self-examinations have caused more cancers than any treatments have cured (most emphatically). They involve intense meditation of the body, and adverse imagery that itself affects the bodily cells.2 Public health announcements about high blood pressure themselves raise the blood pressure of millions of television viewers (even more emphatically)."
—NoME Chapter 2: Session 805, May 16, 1977

Also:

Quote from: Seth
"It is impossible to meditate without a goal, for that intent is itself a purpose. Unfortunately, many of your public health programs, and commercial statements through the various media, provide you with mass meditations of a most deplorable kind. I refer to those in which the specific symptoms of various diseases are given, in which the individual is further told to examine the body with those symptoms in mind. I also refer to those statements that just as unfortunately specify diseases for which the individual may experience no symptoms of an observable kind, but is cautioned that these disastrous physical events may be happening despite his or her feelings of good health. Here the generalized fears fostered by religious, scientific, and cultural beliefs are often given as blueprints of diseases in which a person can find a specific focus — the individual can say: "Of course, I feel listless, or panicky, or unsafe since I have such-and-such a disease.""
—NoME Chapter 2: Session 805, May 16, 1977

I have to Say the Seth materials never go out of date, they are as pertinent and timely now as they were 40-50 years ago. Maybe even more so. I know we've all read Mass Events, but for me right now it means more than it did the first time around and certainly helps me keep perspective.

LarryH

Thanks, Deb, I needed that as a counterpoint to having just read one young person's own experience with the virus.

On a bright note, Dyson has come up with a coronavirus-specific ventilator: https://www.upworthy.com/dyson-designed-a-coronavirus-specific-ventilator-in-just-10-days-and-is-set-to-make-15-000-of-them?utm_source=The+Upworthiest&utm_campaign=ea0a44adcc-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_07_22_07_15_COPY_02&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_78f827fba6-ea0a44adcc-238126517

The claim that they designed it in 10 days is absurd, though. The article even contradicts the headline: "The U.K. government approached Dyson to ask if they could help with medical equipment 10 days ago, and the innovative company has already come up with a new design for a ventilator specific to the current needs." So they had been working on it long before the government approached them. It's possible, even likely, that with Dyson's innovative background in moving air, they had been planning on entering the ventilator market before the virus hit, and they just simplified their design to address the specific functions needed for this pandemic.

Deb

The claim that they designed it in 10 days is absurd, though. The article even contradicts the headline: "The U.K. government approached Dyson to ask if they could help with medical equipment 10 days ago, and the innovative company has already come up with a new design for a ventilator specific to the current needs." So they had been working on it long before the government approached them.

Your welcome for the counterpoint. Every time I start getting sucked into news reports I have to start asking myself questions and doing a little statistical investigating to keep things in perspective. Some stories I've read reminded me of when I was 17 and had mono. Misdiagnosed the first time, I relapsed and it was quite the 'rona experience—105° fever, slept for 7 days straight, throat so sore and swollen I couldn't even swallow saliva. I missed an entire semester of HS, so I can relate.

Of course the virus is the only thing in the news right now, so it seems like the end of the world. For instance, I haven't heard a peep about recent shootings in Chicago.

Dyson: How funny. Pretty snazzy design for a throw-together, huh?

I just heard yesterday that the UK government asked Dyson to design a ventilator and I thought, "smart" because the Dyson products are really very good. As they say, "Dyson's really suck." They understand vacuum or compression or whatever makes things like that work (I have no clue, thankfully). Yes, they would have had to been working on this far in advance. Good thing though.

I wonder why they (not knowing who the they is, the media or the UK), would lie about something like that?

Regardless, I love how so many manufacturing businesses are scrambling to repurpose their factories to make the things we all need so desperately right now.

I heard a few countries are rejecting Chinese-made equipment, products and test kits related to the virus. As they say, fool me once... 

And then there's this:

https://youtu.be/1QAWNautQMA

Sena

Is total lockdown the answer to the coronavirus?

Professor Graham Medley is Professor of "infectious disease modelling" at the London School of Tropical Medicine.

https://www.lshtm.ac.uk/aboutus/people/medley.graham

This is what he is saying about the lockdown:

"Graham Medley, an expert in the spread of infectious diseases, suggested the government had "painted itself into a corner" by imposing widespread restrictions on movement that he claims may cause more damage than the epidemic itself.

He suggested the potential harm caused by the restrictions included economic damage. "I don't mean to the economy generally, I mean to the incomes of people who rely on a continuous stream of money and their children, particularly the school closure aspect," he told The Times.

"There will also be actual harms in terms of mental health, in terms of domestic violence and child abuse, and in terms of food poverty."

"He argued that the UK may still have to reconsider the herd immunity strategy to "allow people to catch the virus in the least deadly way possible", the newspaper claimed.

This would involve accepting the heightened risk to the elderly rather than harming younger generations with rising unemployment, domestic violence and mental illness, it suggests.

Professor Medley, of the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, also reportedly claimed that the epidemic would inevitably peak again once the lockdown was loosened and people returned to work.

He has previously argued against rushing into banning football games or closing schools, saying that it "feels good but isn't necessarily evidence-based".

"My problem with many countries' strategies is that they haven't thought beyond the next month," he told The Atlantic magazine in early March.

"The UK is different. We're at the beginning of a long process, and we're working out the best way to get there with the least public-health impact."

"It followed reports that the prime minister was relying on the strategy of creating natural immunity among the population by allowing the disease to spread, rather than impose lockdowns of the kind seen in China and Italy.

Amid widespread criticism of the government's approach, health secretary Matt Hancock insisted that herd immunity was "a scientific concept, not a goal or strategy".

"Professor Medley himself described herd immunity as a side-effect of the main goal of delaying and reducing the peak of infections, often referred to as "flattening the curve". A week later, the prime minister ordered the closure of pubs and restaurants. The national lockdown then followed on 24 March."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-herd-immunity-lockdown-boris-johnson-graham-medley-a9447021.html

jbseth

Is total lockdown the answer to the coronavirus?

Hi Sena,

Is there anyone who really knows the answer to this question?

I'm not sure there is.

-jbseth

Sena

Is there anyone who really knows the answer to this question?

I'm not sure there is.
jbseth, that is correct. Even the best scientists are groping in the dark. Trump may be right to ignore some scientific advice. He has said wearing a mask is voluntary. I am not wearing one. I am washing my hands more frequently than usual.

jbseth

Hi Sena,

While I'm uncertain that anyone really knows what we should be doing, in regards to the lockdown and many other coronavirus related issues, there's no way I'd follow the advice of President Trump on any of these issues, without first looking into them myself.  This is based upon my experience of the many ill-advised comments that he has already made so far during his Presidency.  I definitely wouldn't decide "not to wear a mask", just because "he" says that we don't need to.

I'm not sure that wearing a mask is really necessary. This comes from comments made by Seth about health and illness and how nobody gets ill who doesn't choose to.

I also feel that I have some social responsibility to those people who don't hold these same beliefs and who do "believe" that these masks will keep them safe.

Right now, it seems that masks are in short supply and I've been hearing stories of doctors and nurses, who are working on the front-lines, so to speak, not having enough for themselves. Given all of this, and given my understanding that many in the medical profession do believe that masks are helpful, I'd rather not wear a mask because I don't believe that I need one (this is based upon what Seth tells us and not President Trump). By me not choosing to wear masks, this will make them available to those people who believe that these masks will keep them safe.

These are just my own personal thoughts on this issue. I'm definitely not advising you or anyone else here that they either should or shouldn't wear a mask.

- jbseth

Deb

I think that excessive lockdown can cause apathy and hopelessness

Or by Seth's quote above, apathy and hopelessness can cause lockdowns? I'm attaching a photo of a NYC subway train Thursday during rush hour. With what NY is going through, they are still doing this! And yet, there ARE people who have to go to work and can afford no other way to get there. New Yorkers tend to not own cars. I imagine with the shut downs, less trains and buses are running. What to do?

In regards to Trump, I didn't vote for him. You don't have to worry about offending me, if you wish to say something about him.

Please don't go there. I've cut down on my news exposure, Facebook, and now even the NextDoor app which are all political battlegrounds these days. I think the virus is stressful  enough, I'd really like to keep this forum as free from politics as possible. I really need a break.

My take: In hindsight, considering the size of the pandemic, I suppose one could say that any governmental leader, at any level (city/county/state/country), in any country in the world, has not handled this pandemic "effectively." The problem is that no one has experience with this new virus and the magnitude of infection. We're being told something new every day, recommendations change daily based on what is being learned, all countries are scrambling to get medical supplies and do the best they can. Even our country's medical experts keep changing their recommendations daily. We are still learning about what makes this virus tick. So if there is a "right" way to handle this, no one knows what that is yet. And as people prove they can't be trusted to shelter in place voluntarily, leaders will have to tighten restrictions and then get accused of violating people's rights. Or not tighten restrictions and then get blamed for deaths and accused of being negligent. No winners.

Except... China's government has been praised by the WHO for the way they handled and contained the virus.

I saw this morning that China now has a representative on the UN Human Rights Council, where it will play a central role in picking human rights investigators "including those looking for freedom of speech, enforced disappearance and arbitrary detention."  :P

Remind me, what planet am I on?

jbseth

In regards to Trump, I didn't vote for him. You don't have to worry about offending me, if you wish to say something about him.

Please don't go there.

Hi Deb,

No problem, and I agree.  The only thing that I was trying to do there was to let Sena know that I'm not a Trump fan. I should have said that instead.

Your comments about WHO praising China for the way they handled this coronavirus, kind of reminds me of the idea of putting the fox in charge of the hen house.

-jbseth

LarryH

The first Tesla-donated ventilator to be installed in NY is the one that I designed: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-medtronic-ventilators-installed-ny-hospitals/

Deb

Your comments about WHO praising China for the way they handled this coronavirus, kind of reminds me of the idea of putting the fox in charge of the hen house.

Ha ha, the idea of them being involved with human rights issues is just as funny considering how many people they have "disappeared." The one I've heard was "allowing China's oppressive and inhumane regime to choose the world investigators on freedom of speech, arbitrary detention and enforced disappearances is like making a pyromaniac into the town fire chief." :)

The first Tesla-donated ventilator to be installed in NY is the one that I designed: https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-medtronic-ventilators-installed-ny-hospitals/

That's awesome! And they're Medtronic! My son has T1 diabetes, has been using Medtronic pumps since he was 9. They've been very good—a great company and reliable equipment for us. Hopefully you're getting some sort of royalty from the design. When I worked at IEEE way back when they made me sign a document saying anything I designed while working for them was their property forever and always. Like I could design anything useful... I was secretary/fulfillment for their correspondence course Technically Write by Prof. Blicq. It was all by postal service then, maybe I should have invented the internet.

LarryH

That's awesome! And they're Medtronic!
The company that I designed the ventilator for was Puritan-Bennett. Before the vent was introduced in 1998, the company was purchased by Nellcor. Then, Nellcor Puritan Bennett was purchased by Mallincrodt. Then Tyco Healthcare purchased Mallincrodt. Shortly after, practically everybody in the company was laid off. Then the CEO of Tyco was sent to prison. Then, as a way of escaping the bad name that Tyco had earned, Tyco Healthcare was spun off as (the now unfortunately named) Covidien. Then, Covidien spun off most of Mallincrodt, but kept the ventilator business. Finally, Medtronic purchased Covidien. So you will see different names on the same ventilator, depending on when it was manufactured. The one in the picture has the Nellcor Puritan Bennett logo on it, so it was an early unit, probably about 20 years old.

Hopefully you're getting some sort of royalty from the design.
Nope, as an employee in any of my jobs, there were no royalties. In some jobs, I was paid a token for having my name on a patent, and in one job, when they sold the patents to another company, I shared in the proceeds. I have at least 15 patents, all owned by the companies or clients that I worked for (I've lost track - the process is so long and drawn out that I sometimes find out years later that a patent has been granted).

jbseth

Hi All,

I saw this article today and thought I'd post it here. Bishop Gerald Glenn, leader of the New Deliverance Evangelistic Church, a church located in the area of Richmond, Virginia, has just died of the coronavirus. Apparently Bishop Glenn addressed the pandemic in his church that was attended by dozens of people, on March 22, 2020, when officials were calling for social distancing.

Sadly, the article says that the services were being held to support church members who were scared.

Ironically, and I don't think that this is funny in any way, I believe the bishop made a powerful point via his death. I think that this is an example of exactly what Seth was talking about in Mass Events, when he says that some people opt to die in an epidemic, in order to make a powerful point, via their death. 

http://www.nydailynews.com/coronavirus/ny-virginia-pastor-bishop-go-glenn-dies-from-coronavirus-20200413-h6mm24errzcltgmajwkaxzl6dm-story.html

-jbseth

Sena

Ironically, and I don't think that this is funny in any way, I believe the bishop made a powerful point via his death. I think that this is an example of exactly what Seth was talking about in Mass Events, when he says that some people opt to die in an epidemic, in order to make a powerful point, via their death.
jbseth, perhaps the powerful point was to disprove evangelistic doctrines? The way I understand evengelism is that they claim that only their group is "saved". According to evangelism (and Cathoiicism), Seth is satanic:

https://youtu.be/txQZe0G3WgM

jbseth

Hi All,

In regards to my previous post about the bishop, I also suspect there may have been some things going on here for him in regards to what Seth calls "invisible beliefs" (Seth talks about these in NOPR).

Did this bishop perhaps hold some invisible beliefs about why this coronavirus suddenly seemed to appear in our reality? For example, did this bishop think that this coronavirus suddenly appeared because it was a sign from God that resulted from the fact that God is displeased with some of mankind's choices? 

Along with this, I also wonder whether this situation had anything to do with him dying as a result of being a "victim of belief" (Seth talks about "victims of belief" in NOME, Ch6, S835).

-jbseth