Author Topic: Laughter is the best medicine!  (Read 153 times)

Offline Deb

• Head Instigator
  • ~You are the black sheep of the Universe.~
    • Like us on Facebook!
When I was a kid my mother subscribed to the magazine Reader's Digest. As a child, my favorite section was Laughter is the Best Medicine and to this day that phrase sticks in my mind.

Last week Sena thought of adding a topic here about some of the sillier things people are doing to combat the virus. I've been seeing some hysterical memes. I love seeing those because while the virus is real in this reality, we need to lighten up a little and balance out the negative stuff we're bombarded with right now. I'd love if you would contribute, it doesn't have to be related to the virus but that's a bonus since there are some myths and flat out nonsense (such as people being afraid to buy Chinese or Italian food here in the US).

According to Psychology Today:

Laughter, it's said, is the best medicine. And there's lots of evidence that laughter does lots of good things for us.
It reduces pain and allows us to tolerate discomfort.
It reduces blood sugar levels, increasing glucose tolerance in diabetics and nondiabetics alike.

There's a lot more detailed information on the physical (heart) and mental health benefits of laughter in the PT article.

I'll start things off with this video about responsible :) hand washing.

Offline jbseth

Hi Deb,

That's really funny, Deb.  I love it.  :)

I wonder if that poor guy is still in that restroom somewhere. Maybe someone should go looking for him?  :)

I too, always liked the Reader Digest magazine when I was growing up (my parents got them regularly) and particularly the "Laughter is the Best Medicine" section.

- jbseth

Offline Deb

• Head Instigator
    • Like us on Facebook!
Quote from: jbseth
I wonder if that poor guy is still in that restroom somewhere. Maybe someone should go looking for him?

;D ;D ;D

Here are some funny memes, I just couldn't resist. Then I'll give it a rest, I'm doing seed starts today. I'm really looking forward to getting the garden together in a couple of months. Almost all the snow had melted here and then Thursday we got 12", which made me want to grow something even more.

Offline chasman

hey Deb and jbseth,

I also liked the Laughter is the Best Medicine in RD, as a child.

here are a couple things which have given me a
guffaw and chortle:

Offline Deb

• Head Instigator
    • Like us on Facebook!
Thanks for the Monty Python Fest! I loved all of their movies and used to watch the BBC (?) show back in the day.

OK I know I put this video up here years ago, but it's still a favorite and really makes me happy. Crank up your speakers!

Offline chasman

love it.
thank you Deb!!   

Offline Deb

• Head Instigator
    • Like us on Facebook!
OK I've been wanting to share this, wasn't sure how, but apparently you don't have to be logged into Facebook to watch this video. It's about aggressive chickens, and I find it extremely funny. I have chickens and love them. I only had a (possibly transgender, long story) rooster for a short period of time, and he was more gentle and loving than my hens. But roosters can be aggressive and apparently it's all about attitude. @narvik2 ...

Hopefully you all can watch this. You may need to turn on sound (next to time on the player).

https://www.facebook.com/Weed-Whisky-and-Sarcasm-275289419706476/?__tn__=kCH-R&eid=ARCbB5onltKt95xdj06cA5giEuKlCXOlePKPDA4hPC1nxGxWARtKWRzuPR5FlkMDwnXoNihJAXH31_QW&hc_ref=ARRBRv5JDN-OvjmeCu8rdal5o5U6_nx9pdcW3inpvxHvIGzHEDXrJ6ggYBV1GNRMSp4&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARBptkauNUnI5bHeC00Id6oETPwKawpQ7jTMZdMdEtv9oPBYJa2mOYenphvbBmvpbc36oIQjeJllflG64oBDgrUs6PkSbf_ymgMWoVJ2pdZNbOlab8YilM5FFFbRoyu8JEilnpj35JZLoE0SY2e4d1YeEGqhQheGFGjOue-K-7OPnV4iw71_vmgPb1_zR9anK22NUHh_HI-cz25J7oi_uChOF7gRn_hL98wwuv45-7SL0KyYhRLHMMpzHCj0-q3dzKvpm1cMjaA1LTSy8xEXnC-BiqgbnApAgBZc4_B_4IUN2cBYijK6nU3p-f8rYJKLR5NliMbmPrgzgIekRxUZn7a1EnEVnGgC2Q

Offline jbseth

Hi Deb,

Thanks for sharing that Deb, it was really great.  Who needs a watchdog with those chickens around.  :)

That chicken and duck skirmish was funny too since they both can be pretty aggressive sometimes.

Thanks for sharing that.   :)

-jbseth

Offline Deb

• Head Instigator
    • Like us on Facebook!
OK I saw this one today and thought it was hysterical. I love how creative people are!

It also struck me funny because I bought a paint by number on Amazon last week, an extremely complex but beautiful design. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. I felt it would be similar to doing a jigsaw puzzle. I'll probably open the box when it finally arrives, and decide to frame it as is, without the paint. :)

Offline Deb

• Head Instigator
    • Like us on Facebook!
A pure bread dog.

Offline jbseth

Hi Deb,

That’s really creative.

When I first saw the small picture, I couldn’t tell exactly what medium was being used for the horse and the rest of the image on the table. At first I thought that someone was doing a “foodie” thing where they were using ground beef for the horse, light green lettuce for the grass and dark green lettuce for the forest in the background.

Then when I enlarged the image, I saw that the image on the table consisted of the puzzle pieces themselves.  That’s very creative, I love it.

Then that pure “bread” dog. That was really funny.

I guess from this that pure bread dog’s have square shaped heads???   :)

Thanks for sharing those, Deb.

-jbseth

Offline Deb

• Head Instigator
    • Like us on Facebook!
Quote from: jbseth
When I first saw the small picture, I couldn’t tell exactly what medium was being used for the horse and the rest of the image on the table. At first I thought that someone was doing a “foodie” thing where they were using ground beef for the horse, light green lettuce for the grass and dark green lettuce for the forest in the background.

You must be hungry.  ;D

Dog: Other reactions (Facebook) were "in-bread" and "wonder dog" lol. I love dogs.

Offline jbseth

Quote from: Deb
I love dogs

Me too.  :)

- jbseth

Offline Deb

• Head Instigator
    • Like us on Facebook!
Well, so, today I realized I've "got" this social distancing thing nailed.

Offline Deb

• Head Instigator
    • Like us on Facebook!
There are some clever things in this article. https://stubykofsky.com/virus-humor-in-the-great-isolation/

Also came across this the other day.  ;)

Offline chasman

thank you Deb.   :)

Offline Deb

• Head Instigator
    • Like us on Facebook!
And they just keep coming.

Offline LarryH

Some Good News (some comedy, mostly heart-warming and inspiring stories and discussion):

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Twelve divided by two (word):