TMI

Started by jbseth, March 28, 2020, 12:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbseth

Hi All,

I was looking at Bing today and one of the features of Bing, that I personally enjoy is their, "Today in History" section.

Today in history, on March 28, 1979, the Three Mile Island nuclear reactor facility near Harrisburg,  Pennsylvania, suffered a "partial meltdown".

This is one of the events that Seth talks about in his "Mass Events" book.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=three+mile+island+accident&FORM=OTDHYL

Gee's that was 41 years ago.

I was 24 years old at the time and as I remember it, it was an interesting time. Kind of like today in some ways, people were wondering what was going to happen with this. Would the nuclear reactor actually melt down? Would nuclear contamination result and potentially harm millions of people? The mass potential probable realities that we could choose, coming out of that situation, were open to us at that time, in a way very similar to what's happening today.

History seems to repeat itself with this same kind of theme every so often. Starting at the beginning of the 20th century, we had WW1, then the great depression, then WW2, then the Kennedy Assassination, then Watergate, then TMI, then the first Gulf War, then 9/11, then the second Gulf war, and then today - Covid 19.  (There are also many others, like the Cuban missile crisis that nearly resulted in nuclear between the US and the USSR, the Vietnam war, and the 1960's Vietnam war protests, etc).

When we put these events in this kind of context, we can see that each one of these scenarios, seem to be very unique and individual in and of themselves. And yet, they also seem to occur randomly (or maybe not randomly) across time. 

Are these events challenges that we, mankind, intentionally put in place for learning purposes, and for value fulfillment?

- jbseth 

Sena

Quote from: jbseth
Are these events challenges that we, mankind, intentionally put in place for learning purposes, and for value fulfillment?
jbseth, yes for learning purposes, especially about the meaning of death. Many people see death as the "end", or they have fantasies about heaven and hell.

Deb

Quote from: jbseth
When we put these events in this kind of context, we can see that each one of these scenarios, seem to be very unique and individual in and of themselves. And yet, they also seem to occur randomly (or maybe not randomly) across time.

According to Seth, yes. I know we (no everyone however) learned a lot from the Holocaust, Three Mile Island (and Chernobyl) hopefully. The rest, I can't say specifically what we learned, but if we keep creating events like these apparently we still have more to learn. Or we forget.

You could go way back in history, with ice ages, biblical disasters, volcanos and earthquakes, etc. and see that there are a whole lot of dramas for humans and anything that gets close to us. We just can't seem to have peaceful existence for any length of time. I guess we don't learn much when we're not dealing with death and disaster, or the peaceful times in between are there for us to reflect and absorb what just happened.

Sena

Quote from: Deb
but if we keep creating events like these apparently we still have more to learn. Or we forget.
Deb, yes, creating our own reality does not mean creating only nice things. Not yet, anyway.