Significances

Started by T.M., September 24, 2020, 09:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T.M.

Hi All,

I'm rereading Lynda Dahls Living in a Safe Universe. She starts talking about Significances in Chp 4

" The Guiding Hand of Significances In The Nature of the Psyche, session 788, Seth tells us, "The universe, by whatever name and in whatever manifestation, attains its reality through ordered sequences of significances." And, "You imprint the universe with your own significance, and using that as a focus you draw from it, or attract, those events that fit your unique purposes and needs." And, "Each consciousness is endowed with creativity... using its own significance as a focus to draw into its experience whatever events are possible for it from the universe itself." Said another way, significances are a tool used by consciousness to organize the spacious present, defining from an unpredictable field of action a predictable range of action accessible to it."

We build these significances through thought, emotion and imagination.
So essentially we train the Universe how to communicate with us- my take on this.

Also further in Chp 9,

" In Afterdeath Journal, William James describes his subjective environment after his death, and the feel of All That Is within that environment. Here's some of what he says about his experience with All That Is, taken from Chapter 10: The Atmospheric Presence.

"Everywhere I sense a presence, or atmosphere, or atmospheric presence that is well-intentioned, gentle yet powerful, and all-knowing.... At the risk of understating, this presence seems more like a loving condition that permeates existence, and from which all existence springs. The feeling of safety is definitely connected here, in that I know that no evil or harm can befall me, that each of my choices will yield benefits, and that this loving condition upholds me in all of my ways.... I know that this presence or loving condition forms itself into me, and into all other personalities; that it lends itself actively to seek my good in the most particular and individual ways."

Also in Chp 3
The Purpose of the Camouflage Brain An important point to consider here is this: If there is no time and no space, leading to no duration of matter and no motion, how do we create the illusion of being in a continuous reality one day at a time, surrounded by objects? First, the mind always resides in the spacious present, but the brain is part of the camouflage of a physical reality. And the brain has a very specific purpose. Its neuronal structure creates that illusion of time and space for us, and its perceptive mechanisms of sight, touch, smell, taste and hearing point the inner portion of I to do the actual conversion of action into objects.

Which means this: If we cannot see, touch, smell, taste or hear something, it does not exist in our camouflage reality. It always exists in the spacious present, of course, but not within our personal camouflage reality. So, when you walk from one room to another, does the room you exited exist in your physical reality? No. When you stand on the beach viewing the blue ocean, do the cliffs behind you exist in your reality? No. Does anything under the surface of the ocean exist in your reality? No. Only once you lay eyes on it will it exist, and then only that portion you can see. Or touch or smell or taste or hear. So, the portion of your reality that's created when your sight is out of commission (eyes closed or blind) is only what the other senses pick up. Your feet touch the sand, so the feel of your feet and the sand immediately under your feet is created, but not whatever is right next to that bit of sand upon which you stand.

So we are in the spacious present now. Unless we refuse to recognize that and instead identify with the ego and it's perception of linear time. Coming from a very supportive all loving and accepting environment that only wants the best for all of us, according to William James.
Whether we have positive or negative experiences, it's just an experience we are having because we have let the Universe know, that is what is of significance to us. We can at any time take the reins of creation and start building those Significances that matter the most to us.

I'm really enjoying rereading this one from Lynda. The above is just a small sample of what's in it.
And yes I still have my share of negative experiences, for now.  :)

Sena

Quote from: T.M.
I'm rereading Lynda Dahls Living in a Safe Universe. She starts talking about Significances in Chp 4

" The Guiding Hand of Significances In The Nature of the Psyche, session 788, Seth tells us, "The universe, by whatever name and in whatever manifestation, attains its reality through ordered sequences of significances."
T.M., this is really an excellent topic. Here is a quote from "The Nature of the Psyche" where Seth gives the example of "Aunt Sarah":

"Significances fall or happen in certain patterns, and when these become very obvious they appear as cause and effect. They are simply heavy-handed significances. Your associative processes and habits are perhaps the closest examples that can give clues of how significances operate. Even then, however, associations deal with the passage of time, and basically significances do not. You might think of your Aunt Sarah, for example, and in a few moments the associative process might bring you images of periods in the past when you visited your aunt, of her friends and neighbors, the articles in her house, and episodes connected with your relationship. (9:49.) At the same time Aunt Sarah, unbeknown to you, might pick up a blue vase, one that you had just seen in your mind as belonging on a shelf in her living room. Touching the vase, your Aunt Sarah might think of the person who gave it to her, now on the other side of the continent. That person, perhaps thinking of buying a present for someone, might settle upon a vase in a flash of inspiration, or suddenly begin humming a song with the name "Sarah" in the title, or possibly even think of your aunt. If on the other hand any opposing associations existed anywhere along the line, the "chain" of association could be broken. The last lady might consider a vase, for example, but reject the idea. Because of the time element, it seems to you that the first episode caused the others, and that your first association concerning your aunt brought about the "following" events. The inner significances, however, the associations, existed all at once, to be tuned in to at any point of time. They had their reality basically apart from time, even though they appeared within it. Actually the three sets of events could easily occur to the three people at once, and if no normal communication happened no one would be the wiser. The inner tapestry of events deals with just this kind of association. Emotional intensities and significances compose the nature of events. In dreams you work with the kind of intensities involved, exploring multitudinous significances. These are like charged emotional patterns, formed of your own highly personal emotions and intents. Using such significances as yardsticks, you accept or reject probable events. You imprint the universe with your own significance, and using that as a focus you draw from it, or attract, those events that fit your unique purposes and needs. In doing so, to some extent you multiply the creative possibilities of the universe, forming from it a personal reality that would otherwise be absent, in those terms; and in so doing you also add in an immeasurable fashion to the reality of all other consciousness by increasing the bank of reality from which all consciousness draws." (from "The Nature of the Psyche: Its Human Expression (A Seth Book)" by Jane Roberts, Robert F. Butts)

Kindle edition: https://amzn.eu/deTCp9u

QuoteAlso further in Chp 9,

" In Afterdeath Journal, William James describes his subjective environment after his death, and the feel of All That Is within that environment. Here's some of what he says about his experience with All That Is, taken from Chapter 10: The Atmospheric Presence.

"Everywhere I sense a presence, or atmosphere, or atmospheric presence that is well-intentioned, gentle yet powerful, and all-knowing.... At the risk of understating, this presence seems more like a loving condition that permeates existence, and from which all existence springs. The feeling of safety is definitely connected here, in that I know that no evil or harm can befall me, that each of my choices will yield benefits, and that this loving condition upholds me in all of my ways.... I know that this presence or loving condition forms itself into me, and into all other personalities; that it lends itself actively to seek my good in the most particular and individual ways."

I have read parts of the William James book, but I did not make the connection to significances. This is a brilliant insight on the part of Lynda Dahl. What is of particular interest is that this book is by Jane herself, without the intervention of Seth, but she comes to a similar understanding of significances.

QuoteWhether we have positive or negative experiences, it's just an experience we are having because we have let the Universe know, that is what is of significance to us. We can at any time take the reins of creation and start building those Significances that matter the most to us.

With regard to negative experiences, this Seth quote may be useful:

"Again, sometime later we will discuss those conditions that can undermine such fine creativity. In the meantime, however, live each day as fully and joyfully as possible. Imagine the best possible results of any plans or projects. Above all, do not concentrate upon past unfavorable events, or imagined future ones."
—WTH Chapter 2: February 1, 1984

With Seth's teachings on significances, he abolishes the doctrine of cause-and-effect. The Covid 19 virus does not "cause" the death of anyone.

"There is no cause and effect in the terms in which you understand the words. Nor is there a succession of moments that follow one after the other; and without a succession of moments following one after the other you can see that the idea of cause and effect becomes meaningless. An action of the present in your terms cannot be based or caused by an action in the past, and neither action can be the cause of a future action in a basic reality where neither past nor future exist.

The distortive illusion of successive moments, and of the resulting conception of cause and effect, are both on your plane the result of the observation by the outer senses, and are practical and useful on your plane and therefore have a certain validity, if for you only."

—TES1 Session 41 April 6, 1964

T.M.

Hi All,

Hi Sena,

Yes Lynda really rips apart the concepts of cause and effect, linear time via Seth's teachings.
She's really helping me to understand Seth's concepts and ability to use probabilities as well.

The first time I read this book I quickly got vol 2 in the series, then some time later vol 3. Just awhile ago I got vol 4.
I'm very much looking forward to reading the entire series slowly.

Looking at current events has gotten too much of a negative current running in my experiences.
So time for a serious redialing in of how I look at reality! And Lynda's works provide just the platform I want to use.

Sena

Quote from: T.M.
Looking at current events has gotten too much of a negative current running in my experiences.
Yes, when there is a lot of emotion surrounding certain topics, it is difficult to stand back and look at the bigger picture.

jbseth

Quote from: Sena
Your associative processes and habits are perhaps the closest examples that can give clues of how significances operate. Even then, however, associations deal with the passage of time, and basically significances do not. You might think of your Aunt Sarah, for example, and in a few moments the associative process might bring you images of periods in the past when you visited your aunt, of her friends and neighbors, the articles in her house, and episodes connected with your relationship.

(9:49.) At the same time Aunt Sarah, unbeknown to you, might pick up a blue vase, one that you had just seen in your mind as belonging on a shelf in her living room. Touching the vase, your Aunt Sarah might think of the person who gave it to her, now on the other side of the continent. That person, perhaps thinking of buying a present for someone, might settle upon a vase in a flash of inspiration, or suddenly begin humming a song with the name "Sarah" in the title, or possibly even think of your aunt. If on the other hand any opposing associations existed anywhere along the line, the "chain" of association could be broken. The last lady might consider a vase, for example, but reject the idea. Because of the time element, it seems to you that the first episode caused the others, and that your first association concerning your aunt brought about the "following" events.

The inner significances, however, the associations, existed all at once, to be tuned in to at any point of time. They had their reality basically apart from time, even though they appeared within it.

Actually the three sets of events could easily occur to the three people at once, and if no normal communication happened no one would be the wiser. The inner tapestry of events deals with just this kind of association. Emotional intensities and significances compose the nature of events.

Hi All,

I really like what Seth says here in NotP, S788, from Sena's quote above.

Everytime I read this, I think about "synchronistic events", including those that we sometimes talk about and share with each other here in this forum.

I also like what he says below about "significances". It helps to remind me exactly what he means by this term.

NotP, S788:

Dictation: Basically, events have nothing to do with what you think of as cause and effect. [...]

Instead events are built up, so to speak, from significances. [...]

By its very nature each consciousness is a particular, peculiar, and unique focus of awareness which will experience any possible realities through its own characteristics.

It also "stamps" or "impresses" the universe with its own imprint. [...]

Each consciousness, then, impresses the universe in its own fashion. Its very existence sets up a kind of significance, in whose light the rest of the universe will be interpreted. The universe knows itself through such significances.

-jbseth

narvik2

QuoteWith Seth's teachings on significances, he abolishes the doctrine of cause-and-effect. The Covid 19 virus does not "cause" the death of anyone.

"There is no cause and effect in the terms in which you understand the words. Nor is there a succession of moments that follow one after the other; and without a succession of moments following one after the other you can see that the idea of cause and effect becomes meaningless. An action of the present in your terms cannot be based or caused by an action in the past, and neither action can be the cause of a future action in a basic reality where neither past nor future exist.

The distortive illusion of successive moments, and of the resulting conception of cause and effect, are both on your plane the result of the observation by the outer senses, and are practical and useful on your plane and therefore have a certain validity, if for you only."
Thank you Sena of lovely quotes
then
"no cause and effect" gives me much to think, true yes but true no, how and where - what framework and plane are we talking about?
reading Seth's answer to a comment "reality/existence is a colossal and lovely joke":
Quote"it is no joke. It is a means for the Whole to know Itself...You can experience the illusion, but when you experience the illusion as an illusion, you no longer experience it. You are running ahead of yourself...You do not know it. You think it. You will not be where you are..You must still be able to experience any one of these illusions, knowing they are illusory, with full knowledge of their nature, and still know that the basic reality is yourself...The most important thing I have said this evening is that the joke is relevant. You must be free enough to explore the nature and experience of each living thing within your own system, knowing that it is yourself, and then leave your system. These must be direct experiences..The illusion must be probed to its depth, The probing is necessary. Some games are necessary and always relevant.
Passi di: Jane Roberts. "The Seth Material; A Seth book".
I live on this earth and walk with feet on ground, -sometimes my fingers do touch the sky.
Trying not to fly too high, to avoid a crash landing.