Author Topic: Did Jane's illness “grow out of her mystical nature”? (DEAVF1)  (Read 463 times)

Offline Sena

I would first like to say that, in my view, Seth did NOT give a final and definitive explanation for the fact that Jane chose to create a reality in which she suffered from the chronic and disabling illness of rheumatoid arthritis. If she had developed the illness 20 years later, more effective treatments may have been available.

That Jane's illness “grow out of her mystical nature” is more Rob's idea than specifically Seth's. This is the relevant extract from  DEAVF1:

“Once again I note that in my opinion Jane's dependency represents, at
least in part, a search for a "redemption" that encompasses other
motivations and realities than those concerned with "just" our temporal
lives; that indeed, her impaired state grew out of her mystical nature
itself (but was hardly caused by it!).
So, although I think that Jane has made some "remarkable gains"
during recent weeks, I also think that basically she has yet to resolve
the entire issue of her illnesses—or even whether to continue physical
life. Seth put it beautifully a couple of months ago in the session for
April 12—the first time Jane spoke for him since leaving the hospital—
and I return to it again and again. See the essay for April 16: "The
entire issue (of Jane's living) had been going on for some time, and the
argument— the argument being somewhat in the nature of a soul facing
its own legislature, or perhaps standing as a jury before itself, setting its
own case in a kind of private yet public psychic trial. Life decisions are
often made in just such a fashion. With Ruburt they carried a psychic
and physical logic and economy. . . ."

Obviously, Jane's deliberations over whether to continue physical life
are much easier to appreciate when she's depressed and/ or physically
uncomfortable, and during those times I can sense the fluctuations in
her examination of her psyche. Portions of her are still quite
deliberately thinking it all over, I'm sure, although she doesn't mention
this outside the session frameworks she provides for Seth and herself.”

There is an interesting article on rheumatoid arthritis here:

https://curearthritis.org/arthritis-archives-rheumatoid-arthritis/

“1980 saw considerable strides being made in the treatment of RA by the use of a drug developed for chemotherapy in the 1950s – methotrexate. This drug revolutionised RA therapeutics, most patients that received the drug responded well with good control of joint inflammation. This was a game changer and led to a great reduction in patients having to undergo joint replacement or other orthopaedic surgeries.”
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 05:30:53 AM by Sena »

Offline jbseth

Hi Sena, Hi All,

Did Janes illness grow out of her mystical nature?  I don’t know Sena, I think it depends upon how we look at this.

Jane chose the conditions of her life, before she was born, just like the rest of us.

She chose her Mom, who Seth refers to as her “enemy” from a previous existence in a passage, I believe, in the book WTH.

As a child she was exposed to extreme horrendous emotional abuse from her Mom. On several occasions her Mom threatened to kill both herself and Jane by shutting off the pilot light in the gas stove and letting the gas blow themselves up. Jane was terrified of her mother. She also told Jane that after she (Jane’s Mom) died, she’d would come back and get Jane.

Jane was also sexually abused by several priests when she was young. This is also mentioned in the book, WTH.

I would say that Jane chose the conditions of her life, before she was born, just like the rest of us. I would also say that Jane used these conditions to drive her creative, poetic, psychic and mystical ideas and experiences that she had in this life. Along with this, I would say that it was her struggle, at an outer ego level, in dealing with these horrendous childhood experiences that “resulted” in her creating her physical health issues, which ultimately led to her death.

In NOME, Seth tells us that nobody is born, who doesn’t want to be born and nobody dies who doesn’t want to die. He says something like, no stray bullet from a gun, nor disease nor any other situation, will kill a man who doesn’t want to die.

-jbseth

Offline Sena

Quote from: jbseth

Jane was also sexually abused by several priests when she was young. This is also mentioned in the book, WTH.
jbseth, this is very relevant. Children who are sexually abused can develop physical illness in later life.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it's been approved by a moderator.
Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
Jane's last name (not case sensitive):
Rob's last name (not case sensitive):