False memories / changing beliefs?

Started by Deb, March 24, 2021, 06:47:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

I read this article today, "German researchers create, then erase, false memories in people's minds."

With the participation of parents of the volunteer test subjects, researchers were able to successfully implant false memories using repetition, inserting false events in with ones that actually took place. Once the false memories were planted, they were then able to reverse the effect. I've read many times about false memories being a real problem in court cases involving sexual abuse—sometimes therapists implant false memories in patients. I'm actually listening to an audio book that touches on this, and repressed memories.

My first thought when I read the article was, I wonder if people can use something like this as a tool as a way of uncovering and discarding harmful beliefs? It would be an interesting experiment to do in a group, but would have to be done in person rather than online. Since I know nothing about psychology, I'm just guessing they used parents due to the trust factor, plus knowledge of the volunteer's history. Estherham has often said that a belief is just a thought that you've had over and over again—so there's the repetition factor.

https://www.rt.com/news/519038-german-researchers-create-erase-memories/

jbseth

Hi Deb, Hi All,

That's interesting Deb.

I've always been really bothered by the concept of false memories. From what I can recall this issue had something to do with sexual abuse survivors.  The attorney for the accused abusers used this information as a defense for him clients. It was demonstrating that false memories do exist and was a definite possibility as to what actually took place. That is, the claim was that these remembered events were actually just false memories and not real actual events. But how sure can anyone be, that someone's memories were in fact false memories and not true memories.

My sense is that some women who were sexually abused, were then railroaded by the defense attorney's claim. I can only imagine how some woman must feel, if first she was sexually abused by some person and then, in trying to put a stop to it gets run over by his defense team and the court system by something like this.

Now, from a different perspective, Seth does tell us that we can change our past. Much of this does have to do with changing your beliefs about the events of your past. This seems to be a kind of brainwashing, if you will and I have no doubt that people has used brainwashing techniques to change people's beliefs about something. I've even done some of this myself, on myself using self-hypnosis techniques following some of Seth's ideas from NOPR and it sure seems to work.

So I do think that it's possible to create false memories.

-jbseth

Sena

Quote from: Deb
I've read many times about false memories being a real problem in court cases involving sexual abuse—sometimes therapists implant false memories in patients. I'm actually listening to an audio book that touches on this, and repressed memories.
Deb, I wonder whether some of these so-called false memories could be from another lifetime?

"(Jane dictates:) Your question leaves much to be desired. I am not certain if you refer to the subconscious memory of personality, the conscious memory of personality, or of the memory of an entity. The entity of course represents and is aware of the lives of all its personalities."
—TES1 Session 13 January 6, 1964