“Psi is the most common thing imaginable”

Started by Sena, March 07, 2021, 09:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sena

James Carpenter, Clinical Psychologist, has developed a theory of how the mind works, which also explains paranormal phenomena (psi phenomena). His theory is called "First Sight Theory". I think it is compatible with the Seth concepts. Some extracts from Carpenter's writings:

"The name of the theory is a play on the colloquial term "second sight,"
which implies that psi experiences are extra and mysterious, vaguely
mystical events that lie outside of ordinary perception and behavior and
occasionally supplement them. To say that psi is first sight is intended to
convey the opposite—that psi is a process that is ordinary, common, and
crucially important, in fact, that it is something we use all the time in a
way that precedes our every thought and action.
It comes first.
Two Basic Premises
The first sight theory (FST) is embedded in an unusual model of the
mind. I start with two assumptions that seem to be necessary if we are to
make any sense of psi. Although perhaps not directly testable, these prem-
ises are useful inasmuch as they provide a framework within which many
testable ideas can be understood. The first premise proposes a virtually
unlimited unconscious mind. The second says that unconscious cognitive
processing stands behind and produces all experience and behavior, and
that this processing includes an extrasomatic reference to a wide world
apprehended by what we call psi.

1. Organisms are psychologically unbounded. They transact with reality in an
unconscious way beyond their physical boundaries.
a) They are unconsciously engaged psychologically with an
extended universe of meaning of indefinite extent in space and
time. This engagement is continuously ongoing and is referred
to as psi. The efferent (expressive) aspect of these engagements
is referred to as psychokinesis (PK). The afferent (receptive)
aspect of the engagements is referred to as extrasensory percep-
tion (ESP). These two aspects of psi are always intimately con-
joined in their unconscious functioning.
b) If the afferent engagement refers to some event in the future, it is
called precognition, and if it refers to another person's experience,
it is called telepathy.
Direct access to the meanings of future
events is necessarily prior to our potential access to those events
in the present, and direct engagement with extrasomatic informa-
tion necessarily precedes that information being able to reach the
senses. For these reasons, psi may be referred to as first sight—
hence the name given to the model and theory."

"Corollaries of First Sight Theory

1. Personalness corollary. Unconscious cognitive processes, including the
mind's use of psi information, is essentially a personal business
because it is always implicitly guided by an individual's personal
constellation of intentions, needs, memories, and concerns. It will
never be adequately reduced to an impersonal account in terms of
general physical processes, biochemical reactions, or neural activ-
ities. The physical level of analysis will be useful in understanding
how psi works, but it will never fully account for it. As J. B. Rhine
once said, "psi is a psychological process."

2. Ubiquity corollary. Unconscious processing of psi information is
always going on. It is implicitly present in every scrap of thought
and flicker of experience. Psi is often thought of as rare; for first sight,
it is the most common thing imaginable.
"

The attached documents are 4-page summaries of Carpenter's writings. His website is here:

http://www.drjimcarpenter.com/about/index.html

https://youtu.be/PmTv0jhooQc

jbseth

Quote from: Sena
James Carpenter, Clinical Psychologist, has developed a theory of how the mind works, which also explains paranormal phenomena (psi phenomena). His theory is called "First Sight Theory". I think it is compatible with the Seth concepts.

Hi Sena, Hi All,

I personally wouldn't say that James Carpenters concepts are "compatible" with Seth's ideas. However, I would agree that his ideas are probably some of closest that humanity has come, to some of the ideas that were expressed by Seth's

My personal issue with "compatibility" here, has to do with what both James Carpenter and Seth have to say about the "unconsciousness" and the self.

Seth talked a lot about the self. Seth tells us that we consist of an outer ego or outer self, an inner self and an entity.  Seth also tells us that this inner self is, not only conscious of itself, but that it is in constant communication with all other inner selves. Along with this, he tells us that this inner self creates the physical world that the outer self then experiences.   

From what I read and heard by James Carpenter, I wouldn't say that what he says about the "unconsciousness" and the self are compatible with what Seth had to say about these topics.

-jbseth

Sena

Quote from: jbseth
My personal issue with "compatibility" here, has to do with what both James Carpenter and Seth have to say about the "unconsciousness" and the self.

Seth talked a lot about the self. Seth tells us that we consist of an outer ego or outer self, an inner self and an entity.  Seth also tells us that this inner self is, not only conscious of itself, but that it is in constant communication with all other inner selves
jbseth, thanks for your comments. Seth had some interesting things to say about the unconscious in Session 652:

"To some extent, there is a natural and spontaneous merging of what you would think of as conscious and unconscious activity. This in itself brings about a greater understanding of the give-and-take that exists between the ego and other portions of the self. The unconscious is no longer equated with darkness, or with unknown frightening elements. Its character is transformed, so that the "dark" qualities are seen as actually illuminating portions of conscious life, while also providing great sources of power and energy for normal ego-oriented experience. On the other hand, areas of ordinary behavior that may have seemed opaque before, cloudy or dark — personal characteristic behavior that was not understood, for instance — may suddenly become quite clear as a result of this transformation, in which the shadowy aspects of the unconscious are perceived as brilliant. Barriers are broken down, and with them certain beliefs that were based upon them. If the unconscious is no longer feared, then the races that symbolized it are no longer to be feared either." (from "The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know (A Seth Book)" by Jane Roberts)

https://amzn.eu/hnxwG7g

Sena

"Super-psi" is the idea that paranormal activity is going on all the time, although we are generally not aware of this. This is fully consistent with Seth's teaching on "continuous telepathy". We are generally not aware of this telepathy because it is our Inner Selves which are engaged in telepathic communication.

"I told you that without telepathy language would be meaningless and ineffective. It is true that each of you constructs his own physical universe, and responds to it. It is also true however, that through continuous telepathy you are acquainted with the ideas of others concerning their approximate physical universes; and while you construct and see your own, you also construct any given material object taking into consideration its approximate size, width, thickness and location, as received through telepathy from others." (from "The Early Sessions: Book 2 of The Seth Material", Session 63 by Jane Roberts, Robert Butts)

https://amzn.eu/hDzD54N

Stephen Braude is a parapsycologist who has written on super-psi:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_E._Braude

Braude's article on "Survival or Super-psi?" may be downloaded here:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/x6v1gt6ll5qv8nz/super+psi+jse_06_2_braude.pdf/file

Deb

Quote from: Sena on October 30, 2021, 12:38:03 AM"Super-psi" is the idea that paranormal activity is going on all the time, although we are generally not aware of this.

Well, whoever wrote that Wiki page didn't have a very high opinion of Stephen Braude. Too bad. I'm with Seth, and I guess super-psi as well. I've had too many unexplainable experiences involving reality creation, telepathy and synchronicity to just write them off as nonsense.

I did find this article on super-psi that I thought was a lot more favorable. I didn't read the entire article, it's been another super-busy day for me, but I skipped to #3, Objections to Super-Psi. I'm pretty sure Seth explained why there is no evidence for things that are non-physical: scientists are barking up the wrong tree by using instruments and attitudes that are focused in physical reality.

https://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/super-psi-hypothesis#Super-psi_is_preposterously_complex

Sena

Quote from: Deb on October 30, 2021, 08:11:22 PMhttps://psi-encyclopedia.spr.ac.uk/articles/super-psi-hypothesis#Super-psi_is_preposterously_complex
Deb, it is interesting that the article refers to psychokinesis:

QuoteThat version of the hypothesis is a variant of what some have dubbed the cybernetic model of psi. According to that model, psi agents acquire information by ESP concerning the system they wish to control, and then they monitor and guide their actions on that system by means of a continuing supply of ESP information (or feedback). From this viewpoint, PK is analogous to riding a bicycle or driving a car, because in those activities we modify our behavior in light of feedback from the system we are controlling.

Seth says that consciousness creates physical reality all the time. Does that not mean that psychokinesis is occurring all the time? That would be super-psi. Most scientists would reject it.

What are the limits of psychokinesis (PK)? Can I influence the behavior of molecules and atoms? If I am infected with Covid 19, my Inner Self may be able to nullify the worst effects of the virus by applying PK.

Deb

Quote from: Sena on October 30, 2021, 11:43:49 PMWhat are the limits of psychokinesis (PK)? Can I influence the behavior of molecules and atoms? If I am infected with Covid 19, my Inner Self may be able to nullify the worst effects of the virus by applying PK.

According to Seth, yes, that's how we create our reality, and especially our bodies (the blinking in and out of electrons in physical reality and our reconstructions on their return).

"The seemingly unconscious portions of yourself draw atoms and molecules from the air to form your image.... The atoms and molecules move constantly, forming into cells, tissues and organs."
—NoPR Chapter 2: Session 614, September 13, 1972

According to physics, yes as well. The observer effect says electrons (and everything is made of electrons) are affected by being observed. I don't think "observation" is limited to our physical eyes, we make inner observations as well, especially when it comes to our bodies.

"In a study reported in the February 26 issue of Nature (Vol. 391, pp. 871-874), researchers at the Weizmann Institute of Science have now conducted a highly controlled experiment demonstrating how a beam of electrons is affected by the act of being observed. The experiment revealed that the greater the amount of "watching," the greater the observer's influence on what actually takes place."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1998/02/980227055013.htm

And according to medicine, yes. There's the ever-popular placebo effect... I take a pill, it fixes my ailment as advertised, and it turns out I've been given a sugar pill. That's my belief affecting my reality, my mind (the observer) affecting matter. I've read examples of people being cured of major health issues, not just things like headaches or depression. "In 39 out of 53 (74%) trials there was improvement in the placebo arm and in 27 (51%) trials the effect of placebo did not differ from that of surgery." BMJ article. So why not covid too?

And while a parapsychologist would call all of this PK, Seth would probably call it reality. Or "our" unknown reality, that's now becoming known.

Like Like x 1 View List

strangerthings

The belief that caused it would need to be dealt with however in order for the entire circumstance to be cured. Otherwise you will have something else occur in its place.

No matter what inner power you utilize.

"I have a super powerful immune system."

"I am immune from all serious illness."

Feeling this to be true may have conflict for some.

Also, its a good idea to check in with your beliefs. Get an ecology check especially after you are around others.

Magnetic sticky notes and all lol

Like Like x 2 View List

inavalan

Quote from: Sena on October 30, 2021, 12:38:03 AM...
"I told you that without telepathy language would be meaningless and ineffective. It is true that each of you constructs his own physical universe, and responds to it. It is also true however, that through continuous telepathy you are acquainted with the ideas of others concerning their approximate physical universes; and while you construct and see your own, you also construct any given material object taking into consideration its approximate size, width, thickness and location, as received through telepathy from others." (from "The Early Sessions: Book 2 of The Seth Material", Session 63 by Jane Roberts, Robert Butts)...

I like that quote, but it is interesting how in my notes I highlighted different passages of it:

"I told you that without telepathy language would be meaningless and ineffective. It is true that each of you constructs his own physical universe, and responds to it. It is also true however, that through continuous telepathy you are acquainted with the ideas of others concerning their approximate physical universes; and while you construct and see your own, you also construct any given material object taking into consideration its approximate size, width, thickness and location, as received through telepathy from others." (from "The Early Sessions: Book 2 of The Seth Material", Session 63 by Jane Roberts, Robert Butts)
Like Like x 1 View List
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.