If you want to change the world for the better ...

Started by inavalan, May 26, 2022, 11:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inavalan

"If you want to change the world for the better, then you are an idealist. If you want to change the world for the better, but you believe it cannot be changed one whit, then you are a pessimist, and your idealism will only haunt you. If you want to change the world for the better, but you believe that it will grow worse, despite everyone's efforts, then you are a truly despondent, perhaps misguided idealist. If you want to change the world for the better, and if you are determined to do so, no matter at what cost to yourself or others, no matter what the risk, and if you believe that those ends justify any means at your disposal, then you are a fanatic.

(10:14.) Fanatics are inverted idealists. Usually they are vague grandiose dreamers, whose plans almost completely ignore the full dimensions of normal living. They are unfulfilled idealists who are not content to express idealism in steps, one at a time, or indeed to wait for the practical workings of active expression. They demand immediate action. They want to make the world over in their own images (louder). They cannot bear the expression of tolerance or opposing ideas. They are the most self-righteous of the self-righteous, and they will sacrifice almost anything — their own lives or the lives of others. They will justify almost any crime for the pursuit of those ends."
[... 13 paragraphs ...]
You are a fanatic if you consider (underlined) possible killing for the pursuit of your ideal. For example, your ideal may be — for ideals differ — the production of endless energy for the uses of mankind, and you may believe so fervently in that ideal — this added convenience to life — that you considered the hypothetical possibility of that convenience being achieved at the risk of losing some lives along the way. That is fanaticism."

—NoME Part Three: Chapter 7: Session 850, May 2, 1979
Love it! Love it! x 1 View List
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.

Deb

This quote was always an eye-opener for me, thank you. It explains so much of what's wrong and why.

Fanaticism is always a problem, regardless of what it's about. I equate fanaticism with addiction... behavior that is out of control and escalates because there's always the desensitization and the need for "more" to satiate. And then, eventually,.. the explosion.

It's easier to point out what's wrong than to come up with a solution.

I have to wonder what can be done to do away with fanaticism.

Love it! Love it! x 1 View List

inavalan

Quote from: Deb on May 27, 2022, 07:48:48 PM...

This may touch on the free-speech debate. Who decides what is "fanaticism"? One's fanatic is another's hero ...

There'll always be "first graders" who'd be fooled into believing there is a Santa. As Seth extensively explains in session 170, we're all under hypnosis and we can't see what we don't believe to exist, no matter what proof we'd be presented with.

======
EDIT:  The flip-side of the coin is that under hypnosis we see what we believe to exist.
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.

strangerthings

"If you want to change the world then change your perception of it. "

Thats why I do Byron Katie worksheet and Seth's belief changes and belief writing exercises. And my dream work.

-there is no spoon
It is you that bends.

(I had to do it lol)

strangerthings

Quote from: Deb on May 27, 2022, 07:48:48 PMThis quote was always an eye-opener for me, thank you. It explains so much of what's wrong and why.

Fanaticism is always a problem, regardless of what it's about. I equate fanaticism with addiction... behavior that is out of control and escalates because there's always the desensitization and the need for "more" to satiate. And then, eventually,.. the explosion.

Fear is a huge factor imo

Also, what you grow up around. The systems in play, what you become accustomed to.

A child growing up in constant fighting and chaotic families will likely have some of these traits to pass on. Addicted to fighting. Its all one knows. For example.

Lack of gentleness and love. Being neglected.

Very fear oriented.

I want to point out that fanatic begins with "fan".
Fans can become addicted to all sorts of things.
Like sports. An entire stadium of soccer fans can turn on an opposing team with stampedes if they feel wronged.

Sena

Quote from: strangerthings on May 28, 2022, 02:40:40 AM-there is no spoon
It is you that bends.

St, meaning that the spoon is created by consciousness? I would agree with that.

strangerthings

Quote from: Sena on May 28, 2022, 10:56:45 PM
Quote from: strangerthings on May 28, 2022, 02:40:40 AM-there is no spoon
It is you that bends.

St, meaning that the spoon is created by consciousness? I would agree with that.

It was a matrix movie quote that's all. Neo was trying to bend a spoon as the other child potentials to be "The One" were practicing things, one of them was bending a spoon and Neo couldn't, so the kid told him, "There is no spoon. It is you that bends." So then using the kid's  advice, Neo bent a spoon.

But yes to your comment. That is one thing I take from it as well.
Like Like x 2 View List