It's Greek to Me: MORON

Started by inavalan, January 27, 2024, 03:09:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inavalan

Friday, April 1, 2022
Written by Robert R. Cargill, PhD  Bible & Archaeology (University of Iowa)

From the Greek adjective μωρός (mōrós), meaning "slow, dull, foolish, stupid, silly," a moron is an informal or slang way of referring to an otherwise stupid or foolish person.

Interestingly, the self-contradictory word oxymoron is itself made up of contradictory Greek words. The Greek word ὀξύς (oxús) means "sharp, keen, pointed," and when combined with μωρός (mōrós) gives us "a keen but foolish statement" with ostensibly opposing meanings.
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.

inavalan

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2011/04/29/happy-moron/

Dear Quote Investigator: A friend and I recently wondered about the origin of the following poem. We did not have much luck tracking it:

See the happy moron,
He doesn't give a damn,
I wish I were a moron,
My God! perhaps I am!

There is a web page crediting Dorothy Parker. Do you think that ascription is accurate?
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.

inavalan

The online Collins Dictionary gives a more in-depth definition of moron: moron

The second definition classes moron as offensive, even if old-fashioned. So why do we continue to use it in casual everyday speech? We use it to insult someone who we feel lacks knowledge, and therefore intelligence. We continue to use this word pejoratively when more appropriate and, frankly, imaginative language can be used.

In 'Flowers for Algernon' there is a tense confrontation at a cocktail party where the doctors who were responsible for giving Charlie increased intelligence rail at him for his rude behaviour towards their funders. Dr Nemur believes that his "genius has destroyed your faith in the world and in your fellow men".  To which Charlie replies:

"But I've learned that intelligence alone doesn't mean a damned thing. Here in your university, intelligence, education, knowledge, have all become great idols. But I know now there's one thing you've all overlooked: intelligence and education that hasn't been tempered by human affection isn't worth a damn..."

Mik

I am going to assume this was a not too subtle message to me, condesidering our recent relationship.......

Here is an investigation for you -

Quote from: strangerthings on May 16, 2022, 01:04:10 PM
Quote from: inavalan on May 15, 2022, 11:54:31 PM
Quote from: strangerthings on May 15, 2022, 11:44:31 PM
Quote from: inavalan on May 15, 2022, 10:41:39 PM@strangerthings  You seem to be upset with my views ... I don't care, just keep it polite.

Im not upset with your views
Have your views idc
Its how you talk to people about certain things
It comes off very condescending

And does it make you feel better to tell me how to act?

How nice of you. I can get upset if I want to btw. Though I am not.
I am expressing my point of view.

Deal with it.

Don't be ridiculous.

You're distorting what you read as you do when you interpret Seth.

"

Lol

Inavalan, be fair, see your own words ----  [Mik]

Quote from: inavalan on March 21, 2022, 02:37:43 PM"

The Seth material is multi-layered symbolism, and provides knowledge and guidance to every reader according to their individual level of evolvement. You get something else than I get, as you-at-your-current-level of evolvement gets something else than you-at-another-level of evolvement. It isn't that now you understand it better. Your understanding becomes clearer. Although there are hierarchies of evolvement; the evolvement isn't linear, as different entities take different paths.

"

《 Note: '...' in a quote shows I have edited something out at that point. [Mik] 》

Everyone SHOULD interpret Seth thier own way.

Does anyone have a right to tell another how to do it?  (Feel free to answer.)

(Joy and) Happiness,
               Mik.

PS. YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED ABOUT 12 QUESTIONS. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF...?

inavalan

You assumed incorrectly.

I don't consider you a moron. I posted this thread because it was information I wasn't aware of, and suspected that other people use the words "oxymoron" and "moron" without knowing their etymology and correct meaning.

I don't think you are a moron. I actually believe you have an intelligence above average, which doesn't fit the meaning of "moron". I can understand why you misinterpreted my posts, because you knew that you were trolling me, as I was ignoring your attempts to get a reaction from me.

As I wrote, I believe that you are of an above average intelligence. That may actually manifest counterproductively, giving you an overconfidence detrimentaL to your growth. In my opinion, if you realized that, it would be beneficial to you, and I mean it with no shade of condescension in no demeaning way.

Because of our exchanges, as I wrote, I decided to ignore your posts, and not to comment on your views, so please consider all my posts unrelated to yours.

I have you on "ignore", but the "recent posts" feature of this forum doesn't filter out the posts of the ignored members, so occasionally I glance at yours.

Please, ignore me and my posts too.

Mik

Inavalan, I think you need to review my posts. I have found a number of incidents where people Are upset with how you treat them, and I published them.

I also tried to send you an Email that was blocked. But my cc to Deb went through. You really want to see that privately. How do we arrange it?

As to your statement below about my confidence----

Yes, I am confident.

Having run several business, it was once necessary to present myself as very confident. Maybe I am still doing that.

And yes, I may be truly too confident. I'll give your suggestion consideration.
(I have taken no offense, but some people would.)

(Joy and) Happiness,
    Mik.