DREAMS

Started by Deb, October 11, 2016, 08:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

I saw this quote (below) on FB today. The FB topic is probable selves, but I'm stealing it for dreams. I love to sleep and dream. I've had a lot of fun with dreams all my life, from being very young and telling a beloved cousin that we needed to find each other when we were dreaming ("knock on my door, I'll let you in") so we could continue our daytime fun, experimenting in lucid dreams, making my own reality easily, being able to return to an interrupted dream after waking up briefly to not-fun recurring nightmares (I'm talking years of the same dream), mundane dreams such as cleaning the house (why oh why?), or terrifying nightmares where I wake up in a icy hot sweat and SO relieved that it was 'just a dream.' 

But I can't say I have ever had a dream where I recall later I had been working out solutions to problems. Yet, there have been times when I woke up with an answer to something I'd puzzled over the day (or more) before. Sometimes it's the first thing that pops into my head, as soon as I wake up. Usually at 3 or 4 am, for some reason. (I'm not happy about that.)

I'll make a second post here about two consecutive dreams I had a couple of months ago that were a new situation for me. Nothing earth shattering, boring really, but for me, interesting and new. I'm hoping others will contribute their own unique dream situations to this topic, whether about solving daytime problems, dreams shared with others, visitations with the deceased, precognition...

Now the quote:

"Now. Your private psyche is intimately concerned with your earthly existence, and in your dream state you deal with probable actions, and often work out in that condition the solutions to problems or questions that arise having to do with probable sequences of events. On many occasions then you set yourself a problem — "Shall I do this or that?" — and form a dream in which you follow through the probable futures that would "result" from the courses available. While you are sleeping and dreaming, your chemical and hormonal activity faithfully follows the courses of the dreams. Even in your accepted reality, then, to that extent in such a dream you react to probable events as well as to the events chosen for waking physical experience. Your daily life is affected, because in such a dream you deal with probable predictabilities. You are hardly alone, however, so each individual alive also has his and her private dreams, and these help form the accepted probability sequence of the following day, and of "time to come." The personal decisions all add up to the global happenings on any given day."

The "Unknown" Reality, Vol.2,  (2013-01-23).

Deb

Again, boring but also unique. For me.

One night I had a brief dream that I was taking care of two sick people: my mother (she died in 1985) and my son, who is 21 but was about 10 in the dream. They were in twin beds in some room, feverish, vomiting, and I was doing what I could to make them comfortable and give them what care they needed. Nothing spectacular, pretty ho-hum. End of dream.

The next night I found myself back in the same room, conscious of the previous dream's scenario. The beds were now empty, apparently the patients had recovered and left. I started cleaning up, breaking down the linens to launder them and eventually remake the beds. End of dream.

I woke up realizing I'd continued one dream over two nights.

Sena

Quote from: DebThe beds were now empty, apparently the patients had recovered and left.
Deb, thanks for sharing this. I am aware that it is only you that can interpret your own dream, but to me the dream reveals your power of healing. When we think of healing we should not restrict ourselves to our 3D time scale.

"The past, present and future only appear to those who exist within three-dimensional reality."

http://sethquotes.paradisenow.net/seth_excerpts_part_iii.html

jbseth

Hi All,

Awesome topic Deb, thanks for starting this up.

After first discovering Seth many years ago, I've also been very interested in dreams. Here is a quick summary of some of the more interesting dreams that I've had over the years. These are not in any particular order.

Dream 1:
I had a dream where I was on an airplane on a runway and at the end of the runway, there was a yellow house with white trim. This was the first time that I actually realized that I dream in color.

Dream 2:
I had a dream (a nightmare really) where an angry man came up to me and hit me on the back of the head with the flat back side of an axe. This hurt like he**, and it was so traumatic that I woke up with a start. After waking up, on a pain scale of 0 to 10, the pain in the back of my head in this reality was a 10; it was absolutely horrible. Fortunately, over the next few minutes this pain gradually subsided completely.
Here, I had some sort of bleed-through from my dream reality to this reality. Ouch.

Dream 3:
I had a dream where I and some other people were participating in some activity and we were listening to the radio or singing a song. Then in the next moment, in this reality, our radio alarm clock went off and woke me up. Interestingly enough, the song in the dream was the same song that was being played on our radio, after the alarm went off.  This interesting circumstance has always made me wonder if my dream was precognitive or if the song on the radio inspired my dream in the simultaneous time. I've had this same type of thing happen on several occasions.

Dream 4:
I've had a dream where I was driving a small sports car on a road at the shore by the ocean and there was a lighthouse at the end of this road.  This was a very pleasant dream and I've been back to this exact same dream location, doing basically the same thing on several different occasions during my life. These dreams were years apart. In this reality, I'm really into geography, but I have never seen this place in this reality in any pictures, video, on TV, or Google Earth, for example; anywhere here on earth. I think it must be an alternate reality. It's a beautiful place and I'd like to go there sometime.

Dream 5:
When I was 35, I woke up one night from a dream with a start, as I was completely shaken because I had just dreamed that I had died. Moments later, my wife who tends to be quite in-tune with me, woke up and was very upset and was crying. I asked her what was wrong and she told me that she had just dreamed that I had died. Whoa. This was quite the stunning experience. I sometimes wonder if in some probable reality, I actually died that night, and in this alternate reality, I had chosen to live on instead.

Dream 6:
I had a dream where I was in a department store or warehouse setting with a bunch of friends and suddenly somehow, I knew that if I just jumped up and lifted myself off the ground, I could fly. The next instant I jumped, and suddenly I was flying around at the top of the ceiling in this building and everyone was just completely startled and dumbfounded and staring at me. I was flying around the ceiling and trying to explain to them how I did this and how easy it was for then to do this as well. It was an incredible feeling to be flying around like that but it was also rather uncomfortable as everyone else who was looking at me were both very scared and in shock as though I was possessed or evil somehow. While flying like this was probably the most uplifting experience I've ever had, it was also very uncomfortable having people look at me like that.

Dream 7:
My wife and I were at a cruise ship port in Florida. We were in the air flying around and holding hands as we flew around and over near the top of this cruise ship and looking at people on the ship. The interesting thing here was that I had no visible body and neither did she. I reached out to take her hand as we flew together around the cruise ship and yet I could not see either her body or her hand and yet somehow when I reached out my invisible hand to take her hand, I knew that I took her by the hand. This was incredibly fun, flying around the cruise ship.

Wren

Quote from: Deb

Again, boring but also unique. For me.

One night I had a brief dream that I was taking care of two sick people: my mother (she died in 1985) and my son, who is 21 but was about 10 in the dream. They were in twin beds in some room, feverish, vomiting, and I was doing what I could to make them comfortable and give them what care they needed. Nothing spectacular, pretty ho-hum. End of dream.

The next night I found myself back in the same room, conscious of the previous dream's scenario. The beds were now empty, apparently the patients had recovered and left. I started cleaning up, breaking down the linens to launder them and eventually remake the beds. End of dream.

That's great Deb!

Wren

Quote from: jbseth

Dream 5:
When I was 35, I woke up one night from a dream with a start, as I was completely shaken because I had just dreamed that I had died. Moments later, my wife who tends to be quite in-tune with me, woke up and was very upset and was crying. I asked her what was wrong and she told me that she had just dreamed that I had died. Whoa. This was quite the stunning experience. I sometimes wonder if in some probable reality, I actually died that night, and in this alternate reality, I had chosen to live on instead.

That's quite possible.

I've also dreamt I have died. I was sitting at a table and was shot in the heart by someone I knew. There was no pain but I could feel the 'life-force' draining from my body. I couldn't move but I was completely calm as I wasn't hurting and I was just observing the process of death. No trauma at all!

Deb

I also dreamed I was dead. When I was 15 I had a dream that my body was in a casket buried underground. I was above ground, but could 'see' my body in the casket. That's when I decided I was going to be cremated when I died.

Another time, I dreamed I was shot in the head. I could feel cold air on my brain where my skull was blown off (sorry to be so graphic). No pain, just cold air. I woke up with that feeling and still remember what it felt like.

So, I had a dream last night that someone told me an object (a bird cage) was in a certain place. I could not see it, no matter how hard I tried. Even standing very close to it. I asked a couple of other people if they could see it, and they could. That's when I realized that the cage was existing at a higher frequency and my frequency didn't match it, so it was invisible to me. Very frustrating. But then later, I realized the cage was somewhere other than where I was told, I'd been told incorrectly and I could then see it. Of course that made me feel better. :)

I think this was prompted by the Joe Dispenza workshop. He said a few times that higher levels of frequency 'don't exist' for us because we don't imagine or try to sense them. People generally don't observe anything outside this plane of existence because we rely on sensory input. When Joe does guided meditations to raise our awareness of and into the quantum field, he will use the word 'sense' to acclimate us rather than using 'see.' He introduces people to the concept of sensing things without any association with the tools we normally use (sight, sound, touch etc) that keep us bound to this material existence.

Dandelion

Since I started reading the Seth books a few years ago, I'm more aware of working on things in my dreams, or perhaps, I just understand them better and realize what's behind some of the symbolism.  Using the Seth books, I've been working on discovering and changing some of my beliefs about myself and the world, so a lot of my past is getting brought up again.  Some of my dreams are obviously about resolving current concerns, but a lot have been about the past.  This year especially (both in my waking life and my dreaming life), I've been working out past emotions and decisions I've made.  Some of my dreams have been to resolve past issues or feelings involving situations I've left behind but which still felt unfinished in some way.  Sometimes my present self goes back to finish things.  Other times I seem to go back to try an alternate choice.

Lately, some of my dreams have ended with a strong feeling of wanting to go home (if I'm traveling somewhere in them or involved in a situation that takes me out of my current situation).  Other dreams involve some type of confirmation or feeling that a past decision I made was the right one.  Where I am now, the situation I'm in, the direction I'm heading in, is the right one for me. 

Dandelion

Quote from: DebOne night I had a brief dream that I was taking care of two sick people: my mother (she died in 1985) and my son, who is 21 but was about 10 in the dream. They were in twin beds in some room, feverish, vomiting, and I was doing what I could to make them comfortable and give them what care they needed. Nothing spectacular, pretty ho-hum. End of dream.

This is the kind of dream I would interpret as being one where you were working something out.  Not only does it involve 2 significant people in your life, but there is likely multiple symbolism involved:  Firstly that it was your mother and your son, secondly, that they both had the same illness, and thirdly, that you were caring for them. 

Another important aspect is that you returned to the dream the following night, which emphasizes its significance.  What's also interesting is that the scene was different on the second night, that is, your mother and son had recovered and left, while you remained to clean up.  To me, this would suggest that there was more than one thing you were working on, that there was something to be learned from each situation.

I'm not particularly adept at interpreting my own dreams because this is a pretty new activity for me, and I'm not great with understanding the symbolism in my dreams either.  But a couple of things have helped a little.  First is to focus on specific thoughts and feelings that stand out.  Any thought where you know something about the dream, even though you may not directly experience it or remember being told it, is usually significant.  These "known" things are part of the structure of the dream.  The amount of certainty in the knowing often stresses how important it might be.  Feelings are great indicators, but are not always strongly felt, which is why sometimes you have to rely on the thoughts that structure the dream to help you interpret them.  Another thing I've done that was surprisingly helpful was to directly ask myself what the meaning of something is.  Sometimes the answer will just pop into my head in response to a specific question.

Deb

Quote from: DandelionAnother thing I've done that was surprisingly helpful was to directly ask myself what the meaning of something is.  Sometimes the answer will just pop into my head in response to a specific question.

Great idea. I tend to take my dreams at face value. Either I've borrowed scenes or problems from the day to work them out (and I often wake up with solutions, unfortunately sometimes at 3 am). But I don't spend much time looking at the symbolism in my dreams if the interpretation is not obviously tied to something from my waking hours.

I wonder why our minds present symbols when we're dreaming, rather than just being direct? It seems so inefficient. I had several wild dreams in a row this morning and could see where the symbolism in some of them came from things I'd been thinking about during the day. Maybe deeper levels our brain that don't have language ability are trying to communicate with our intellect when we dream.

I've also had some prophetic dreams. For example, when I was in high school I had a dream about a train going around a wide mountain and the train derailed, the cars spilling off the mountainside (woke up abruptly). Later that morning I heard on the news that a train had derailed in Pennsylvania, a neighboring state. Here's a funny one: I had a split-second dream that I was a cowgirl/cowboy (not sure which), swaggering into an old western saloon, through those typical swinging saloon doors. Just as I'd crossed the thresh hold, someone threw a bar stool at my head. I ducked out of the way, but in reality I sat up in bed and woke up just as a very heavy découpage picture fell onto my pillow. The nail holding it had given loose. If I had not sat up at the time I did, it would have landed right across my eyebrows. Not life-threatening, but certainly would have caused me some pain and bruising. :)

jbseth

Quote from: DebWhen Joe does guided meditations to raise our awareness of and into the quantum field, he will use the word 'sense' to acclimate us rather than using 'see.' He introduces people to the concept of sensing things without any association with the tools we normally use (sight, sound, touch etc) that keep us bound to this material existence.

I like this idea of saying that we have sensed something rather than saw, heard, etc., something.  However, sometimes when I meditate, I seem to hear a conversation between people. Typically, these conversations are nothing of significance or importance. For example, I will hear someone say something like, " Hey Doug, hand me that piece of paper over there". 

Now, I say that I "hear" this conversation because I typically don't get any visuals along with the conversation at this stage. It's like I'm blind or something. I can't see whose talking and I don't get any visuals on this either.

However, I also realize that I don't actually "hear" this, with my physical ears, because this hearing occurs when I'm meditating in a very quiet room.  Thus, I don't think that "sensing" would quite work for me here.  Rather, I guess I would call this, "inner hearing", instead.

Along with this, I also have dreams where I see things and hear things, but I also know that I'm not using either my physical eyes or my physical ears to do this. In this case, I guess I could say that I'm experiencing some form of inner sight and inner sound.

I know I've had dreams where I actually felt pain, when someone hit me on the head; I guess this be inner feeling?

Using these concepts then, I don't believe I've ever had an experience when I was either dreaming or meditating where I had an experience of some form of inner taste (tasting a chocolate candy) or inner smell (such as in smelling a rose).

Has anyone here, while dreaming or meditating, ever had an experience of some form of inner taste or inner smell?

Deb

Quote from: jbsethHowever, I also realize that I don't actually "hear" this, with my physical ears, because this hearing occurs when I'm meditating in a very quiet room.  Thus, I don't think that "sensing" would quite work for me here.  Rather, I guess I would call this, "inner hearing", instead.

I often find a song repeating in my head. I've had messages come to me in this way, during my awake state. The first time I really noticed this and paid attention to it was in Mexico. I was in Cozumel with friends and family, had gotten there the day before, and there was a hurricane brewing. The local government and even CNN was saying it would miss Cozumel. I was taking an early morning walk and the song from Harry Potter "Something Wicked This Way Comes" kept cycling in my head. I finally noticed it and suddenly felt extreme urgency to get out of Mexico. We had two young diabetic kids with us, couldn't afford to take any chances and hightailed it out of there. Got on the last plane out, 3 pm. Thank god, it was "the most intense tropical cyclone ever recorded in the Atlantic Basin and was the most intense tropical cycle recorded in the western hemisphere" until Patricia in 2015. Many people got stuck staying there for weeks, housed in substandard conditions and ended up with dysentery. That would have been disastrous for our two diabetics.

Quote from: jbsethAlong with this, I also have dreams where I see things and hear things, but I also know that I'm not using either my physical eyes or my physical ears to do this. In this case, I guess I could say that I'm experiencing some form of inner sight and inner sound.

I know I've had dreams where I actually felt pain, when someone hit me on the head; I guess this be inner feeling?

Actually now that you mention it, it IS all in our heads. Our sensory organs are basically receivers of data and the brain interprets that data and turns it into sight, sound, etc., which is why we can visualize things in our mind, see, hear, taste, feel, smell in our dreams. I have a friend who lost her vision a few years ago, but she sees in dreams. I have experienced taste and smell during dreams, and was experimenting with them back when I was having concurrent lucid dreams.

More here:
Quote from: DebI did a taste test,... Smell.

jbseth

Quote from: DebActually now that you mention it, it IS all in our heads. Our sensory organs are basically receivers of data and the brain interprets that data and turns it into sight, sound, etc., which is why we can visualize things in our mind, see, hear, taste, feel, smell in our dreams. I have a friend who lost her vision a few years ago, but she sees in dreams. I have experienced taste and smell during dreams, and was experimenting with them back when I was having concurrent lucid dreams.

Hi Deb, Hi All,

Or how about this, this idea just came to me.

Is it all in our heads.

Our physical sensory organs receive the apparent physical reality data and then a combination of both our brain and our conscious mind then interprets this data and as a result of this, we appear to see, hear, feel, etc.  things in our physical reality.

Now, when we either dream or meditate and appear to see, hear, feel, etc.  things in that environment, are we using some other set of sense organs and furthermore, are we also using some other brain along with our conscious mind to interpret that data?

What do you think?

Dandelion

Quote from: DebI wonder why our minds present symbols when we're dreaming, rather than just being direct? It seems so inefficient.

Good question, one that I've asked myself.  Raising it again got me to re-examine the use of symbolism in dreams.  And the short answer I came up with is that from a physical-based perspective, we can only understand concepts through the use of symbols.  I also expanded my search for answers to include symbolism in life, too, so I'll start a new topic for it under Discussions.

jbseth

Hi Deb,

In your message above, #36 I believe, did I understand you correctly to say that you have had an experience either in the dream state or in meditating of either having tasted something or having smelled something???

Deb

Quote from: jbsethNow, when we either dream or meditate and appear to see, hear, feel, etc.  things in that environment, are we using some other set of sense organs and furthermore, are we also using some other brain along with our conscious mind to interpret that data?

What do you think?

I've been trying to get this straight in my head, I may have this all wrong. Will look through the books to see if I can find this: I think remember Seth talking about how he (we) communicate in Framework 2, which is, I think, where we are when we dream. It's not word-based communication, more like packets of information being exchanged. In F2 we also would not have the 5 senses we have in this reality, organs or a brain, just consciousness. I think observations and understanding are made using a different method.

Right now I'm having a hard time imagining that, since I'm so visual that my mind wants to (and does) try to internally visualize everything. How do people who have never seen 'visualize' ? I volunteer for a blind cycling group. The next time I'm with them in person, maybe I'll ask someone who has been blind from birth how it works for them. It's something I've wondered about for a while anyway. Like how does a blind person who has never seen, understand what colors are? They can feel shapes, so there's an alternative sense to help with that: the table is rectangular, the ball is round, etc. But color? How can they understand that the sky is blue? Or what it's like to see clouds, or stars...

Quote from: jbsethIn your message above, #36 I believe, did I understand you correctly to say that you have had an experience either in the dream state or in meditating of either having tasted something or having smelled something???

While lucid dreaming, yes. Sound asleep. After my first one, I decided I would start experimenting. It's all written down here. Smell, taste, feel, details and manipulating matter. It's been a long time though.

jbseth

Hi Deb,

Thanks for sharing, I really enjoy this topic.

It's funny, I was reading your reply #1 under Dreams and Lucid Dreams where you mentioned smelling a flower and thinking that it didn't smell as strongly as it does when you're awake and I seem to recall previously having a similar experience in a dream.

I too have always wondered what kind of dream experience, if any, a person who was born blind, actually has. It would be very interesting to find out whether they have any visual experiences while dreaming, and if so, do they understand what they are seeing.

My son's ex-wife's father, who is in his 70's has been deaf since he was about 10.  As a result of this, he primarily communicates via sign language. He does talk sometimes as he's had some training on how to do this, even though he really can't here himself.  However, when he does talk, it is very difficult to understand what he is saying; it's not very clear.

Several years ago, he had an operation and then was fitted with a hearing aid. When they turned the hearing aid on, this was the first time that he had been able to hear things for 55+ years.

For the first few months he had some challenges with figuring out which noises and sounds where what. He had to figure out what sounds were actually related to the people who were talking to him verbally and with sign language. Background noises that we don't even think about (birds chirping, the dishwasher operating, the doorbell, etc.) were an ongoing source of confusion for him.

I agree, I don't believe that a person who was born blind would be able to differentiate between a blue piece of paper and a green one for example. However, I do believe that we could at least give them an idea of what we are talking about by pointing out the different levels that are possible in the various characteristics that exist in the senses that they do possess.

For example, we could explain to them that for the hearing sense, there are different levels of volume, frequency and pleasantness. For the sense of taste, there are different levels of sweetness, saltiness, sourness, and bitterness. For the sense of smell, there are different levels of strength and pleasantness. For the sense of feel there are different levels of hardness, temperature, wetness, and weight.  Along with this, for the sense of sight, there are different levels of color and shade.   For the sense of sight then, color and shade are similar to the various characteristics that exist for the other senses.

If you ever do find out about this, please share your findings with the rest of us. 

jbseth

Quote from: DandelionQuote from: DebI wonder why our minds present symbols when we're dreaming, rather than just being direct? It seems so inefficient.Good question, one that I've asked myself.  Raising it again got me to re-examine the use of symbolism in dreams.  And the short answer I came up with is that from a physical-based perspective, we can only understand concepts through the use of symbols.  I also expanded my search for answers to include symbolism in life, too, so I'll start a new topic for it under Discussions.

Hi Deb, Hi All,

Earlier today I found out that Seth actually says quite a bit about symbols and symbolism in Seth Speaks.
I'll post some information about this under the Symbolism Topic that Dandelion started.

Deb

Quote from: jbsethagree, I don't believe that a person who was born blind would be able to differentiate between a blue piece of paper and a green one for example. However, I do believe that we could at least give them an idea of what we are talking about by pointing out the different levels that are possible in the various characteristics that exist in the senses that they do possess.

Good point, the using of other sense variations (such as in taste) is a great way to explain the concept of color using variation in flavors or something similar (sounds). I also wonder what dreaming is like for those who have been born blind. I suppose just more of the daytime experience, except if they're in Framework 2, and then they would 'forget' those experiences to be consistent with the awake version of their life.

I had another 'smell' dream this morning, I think it involved lemons. A very robust fragrance in my dream.

jbseth

Quote from: DebI had another 'smell' dream this morning, I think it involved lemons. A very robust fragrance in my dream.

Awesome Deb,  I'm jealous (not really, just kidding) :)

I've been posting and thinking about "Who was Jesus" recently (Christmas season and all) and I'm going for a dream where I go back to New Testament times and see if I can experience what it was like to be around him.

If I have any success with this, I'll let you know.

Batfan007

Quote from: jbseth
Quote from: DebI had another 'smell' dream this morning, I think it involved lemons. A very robust fragrance in my dream.

Awesome Deb,  I'm jealous (not really, just kidding) :)

I've been posting and thinking about "Who was Jesus" recently (Christmas season and all) and I'm going for a dream where I go back to New Testament times and see if I can experience what it was like to be around him.

If I have any success with this, I'll let you know.

"Musty"

Jesus should take a bath already.

Dandelion

Here's a snippet of a recent dream that I still remember because of the strong emotion involved.  I think I was floating (perhaps just my consciousness, so maybe an OBE???) and found myself moving closer (in a downward angle, sort of like a plane landing) toward a very smooth-surfaced, deep body of water, with no waves or movement of any kind, just an almost glassy sheen.  I suddenly felt a strong fearful thought:  "I'm getting too close to the water!"  I jerked back and actually "felt" the jolt.  That ended the dream.

A couple of interesting things about it.  First, I haven't tried to explore the idea of OBE's, so I really don't know much about them.  My main focus has been on the practical application of any metaphysical material I've read.  So not only do I not pay attention to whether a dream might be an OBE dream or not, but the possibility didn't even occur to me until I was trying to write a description of the dream.  Maybe I'm just less apt to remember an OBE dream for various reasons, and I only remembered this one because of the intense fear connected with it.

The second thing about it was a few days later I read an interesting interpretation of one of Jane's dreams (in Personal Sessions #4, at the end of the deleted session 4/26/78, pg. 218).  Her dream had a connection to her vision problems, but involved water and fear, like mine.  Here are a couple of excerpts that were significant to me, especially the second one.

"The eyeglass dream portion:  the old black frames of the glasses represented old beliefs.  They dropped into the water, the realm of Ruburt's fears, by a young man who represented an earlier self who thought success was a male prerogative.  The glasses came up cleansed, but together again, and the frames were updated—so that Ruburt's fears, encountered as he is doing of late, actually allow him to see better and clear his vision.  For they dissolve, and vision is restored."

"The fears are being washed away.  Before, he was afraid to go down into the fears, represented by the water.  The fears dissolving, however, turn into cleansing agents."

Deb

Do you have fear of water? Or was it just that you realized you were floating and getting too close to a dangerous situation?

Quote from: Dandelion"The fears are being washed away.  Before, he was afraid to go down into the fears, represented by the water.  The fears dissolving, however, turn into cleansing agents."

Great symbolism, the water = fear turning into instead a cleansing agent. Sure would be nice to have Seth around, I don't think right now I could figure out my own dream symbolism like that.

Quote from: DandelionSo not only do I not pay attention to whether a dream might be an OBE dream or not, but the possibility didn't even occur to me until I was trying to write a description of the dream. 

Didn't Seth say we are out of body in all of our dreams? We just don't realize or remember it. I've heard that lucid dreaming is the precursor to the OBE. For some reason I just can't seem to get back into lucid dreaming. To be able to do it consistently, intentionally, would be an amazing thing.

Dandelion

I don't have a fear of water so I don't think that's how I made a connection.  I'm pretty sure the dream is connected to the different core beliefs I've been working on.  It's pretty deep stuff.  I don't normally feel like I'm floating in dreams.  I usually "feel" like I have a body, though I may not be paying attention to details about it, other than being focused on activities that I'm doing, like riding on a bus, being at a concert, or digging through my purse--all very physically oriented activities.  So if I'm actually out of body in those dreams, I'm dressing myself up with a physical body and various accessories.  Also in regard to the floating, I felt like I was being drawn to or attracted by the water until I realized I had gotten too close to it. 

The symbolism in Jane's dream was great.  I love the idea of the fears being washed away, dissolving and turning into cleansing agents.

Batfan007

Quote from: Deb
Do you have fear of water? Or was it just that you realized you were floating and getting too close to a dangerous situation?

Quote from: Dandelion"The fears are being washed away.  Before, he was afraid to go down into the fears, represented by the water.  The fears dissolving, however, turn into cleansing agents."

Great symbolism, the water = fear turning into instead a cleansing agent. Sure would be nice to have Seth around, I don't think right now I could figure out my own dream symbolism like that.

Quote from: DandelionSo not only do I not pay attention to whether a dream might be an OBE dream or not, but the possibility didn't even occur to me until I was trying to write a description of the dream. 

Didn't Seth say we are out of body in all of our dreams? We just don't realize or remember it. I've heard that lucid dreaming is the precursor to the OBE. For some reason I just can't seem to get back into lucid dreaming. To be able to do it consistently, intentionally, would be an amazing thing.

Just drink some caffeine a few hours before you go to sleep.
As long as you can meditate well enough to get consistently into an alpha state after 10-152, lie down in bed, I prefer on my back, rather than side, as I am not intending to sleep.

Then I progressively relax myself, mainly through using a meditation technique.
Within 30 minutes you will either go straight into a dream state, or fall asleep and then all of sudden be aware you are dreaming.

With practice it gets easier, but honestly, just try a bit of caffeine a few times and that works pretty easily to get started.

Don't intend to go to sleep, but intend to lie down and get super relaxed, you can use any type of visualisation that have used before and enjoy if you like to get you moving past the first stages of alpha and onward to Theta waves. The more you practice getting into this state, the easier it is to consistently lucid dream on purpose.

I use these terms as general shorthand, if we were purely scientific, there is all sorts of overlap of brain wave states during sleep and combination states.

Lucid dreaming is often a combination of theta and alpha when you are "in" it.
I've also had some lucid dreams where I had some sort of personal revelation that meant something to me, where i decided to wake up and immediately write down whatever it was, as often when we wake we through different states again that can affect our short term memory, so we may forget whatever we just learned or dreamed etc.

If you wake up between 0300-0500 for whatever reason, much easier to consciously recall a LOT more of what you were dreaming. Works for me anyhow, as at that time less distractions and our bodies are naturally very relaxed.

These are just suggestions, do whatever makes sense to you man.