The Nature of Personal Reality (c. 1974)

Started by Dandelion, December 13, 2016, 11:19:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandelion

Contains Sessions 609 - 704 dictated Apr. 10, 1972 - Jul. 11, 1973

Dandelion

I see I get to post the first comment on our new "Book Reviews" board, so I'll say something about my very favorite Seth book.

Part of the reason The Nature of Personal Reality is my favorite might be because it was the first one I read, so naturally, it made the most impact.  But even after reading most of the others, it's still my favorite. 

My main interest is in the practical application of the material, using it to better understand myself and the world I live in.  Some of the concepts and information in the other Seth books are more of an interesting, intellectual exercise.  Sure, it's fun to speculate about those things, but when I want some practical help, like changing my beliefs or understanding something, I usually end up going back to NOPR. 

This book explained things about myself and life in a way that finally made sense to me, which religion, psychology, and science never quite succeeded in doing.  For me, the concepts and beliefs presented in this book are both constructive and practical.  Furthermore, it's not just some superficial, externally applied methodology where you do some exercises mostly based on simple faith.  (I hardly ever do the exercises in books, no matter how useful they appear to be.)  There's depth to this book, so you can develop a real understanding of the concepts and their potential.  It gives you the tools so you can figure things out for yourself.

Batfan007

Quote from: Dandelion
I see I get to post the first comment on our new "Book Reviews" board, so I'll say something about my very favorite Seth book.

Part of the reason The Nature of Personal Reality is my favorite might be because it was the first one I read, so naturally, it made the most impact.  But even after reading most of the others, it's still my favorite. 

My main interest is in the practical application of the material, using it to better understand myself and the world I live in.  Some of the concepts and information in the other Seth books are more of an interesting, intellectual exercise.  Sure, it's fun to speculate about those things, but when I want some practical help, like changing my beliefs or understanding something, I usually end up going back to NOPR. 

This book explained things about myself and life in a way that finally made sense to me, which religion, psychology, and science never quite succeeded in doing.  For me, the concepts and beliefs presented in this book are both constructive and practical.  Furthermore, it's not just some superficial, externally applied methodology where you do some exercises mostly based on simple faith.  (I hardly ever do the exercises in books, no matter how useful they appear to be.)  There's depth to this book, so you can develop a real understanding of the concepts and their potential.  It gives you the tools so you can figure things out for yourself.

Same here for me with that book.
But mainly the exercises are direct observable proof of things Seth talks about that anyone can do.

Meaning nothing has to be taken on "faith" but can be directly experienced by anyone who makes any effort. In that way, the book reminds me of Yoga (as in the large spiritual path, not just physical exercises etc).

Thanks for sharing  8)