Question about Practice Element 12

Started by Marianna, January 26, 2017, 11:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marianna

Hi everyone!

I do need your help here. Exercise 12 from Unknown Reality vol. 2. session 716. Seth does not mention whether you are to keep your eyes closed or open. Though I can see nothing in my mind with my eyes open. And he mentions "seeing in your mind".

More difficult for me - how do you let your consciousness 'stray to the right/left'? I do not get it :(. With my eyes open - I can pay more attention to one part of the room and kind of disregard the rest. But this is not what we are after, right?

With my eyes closed ... No, I don't get it. It's like making snowballs from air. All his previous exercises were clear for me.

Thanks.

Deb

I don't have the book so had to look for the exercise (found it in page 110 in the Compilation of Seth Exercises, "Straying off your finest focus"). Hopefully there's someone here who has done the exercise that will have better information for you.

My guess is since Seth doesn't mention eyes open or closed, you should do what feels right for you. I tend to do things like this with my eyes closed so that it blocks extra sensory data from distracting me, but I can actually go into a daze fairly easily and use to get called out for it when I was a kid in elementary school daydreaming about what I'd rather be doing. :)

As far as the drifting to right or left, it reminds me of meditations I've done at Dispenza's workshops where he had us 'sense' endless space. I think we tend to focus our sensing in front of us, because that's where our sensory organs focus for the most part. Joe would say: sense the space in front of you, the endless space that goes on for infinity, and we would 'project' our consciousness endlessly in that direction. Then shift your focus 90° to the right and sense the endlessness of space in that direction. He'd keep shifting our focus in all directions until we could sense 360° simultaneously as a speck of consciousness in the center of no where. After a while I'd start to 'see' things in my mind that were unidentifiable, maybe patterns, objects, I don't know, I knew I sensed something in my mind's eye that did not compute. It's like when I'm falling asleep, but not quite, in that in-between twilight state where I drift in and out and see things when I'm 'half out,' come back to some sort of waking consciousness and realize I just saw something that didn't make sense. Who knows, maybe that falling asleep process is the same thing as the exercise.

I enjoyed his simple example at the end of the exercise. It seems like a great way to ferret out unknown (or hidden) beliefs.

You've inspired me to go through the exercises compilation and do one exercise a day.

Marianna

Thanks, Deb. What you are saying makes sense. It's easier for me to focus on these things with my eyes closed.

Batfan007

Quote from: Marianna
Thanks, Deb. What you are saying makes sense. It's easier for me to focus on these things with my eyes closed.

I"ll have a look at the specific exercise you mention later, in my experience it comes down to personal preference whether your eyes are open or closed for just about any seth exercise.

Closed eyes means less total sense stimuli etc, but the more you practice at visualisation, you can do it also with eyes open, even while doing other tasks etc, but for me usually more effective to take a few minutes and focus on only that exercise rather than trying to multi-task.

Deb

Quote from: Batfan007Closed eyes means less total sense stimuli etc, but the more you practice at visualisation, you can do it also with eyes open, even while doing other tasks etc, but for me usually more effective to take a few minutes and focus on only that exercise rather than trying to multi-task.

Marianna, Batfan's the one I had in mind when I said that some people can meditate in the middle of a crowd.  ;)