Seth: His personality and sense of humor

Started by Deb, January 11, 2016, 08:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

Ejay Jamb did a series of humorous Seth quotes a week or so ago on Facebook. I thought I'd share one at least. Words in parentheses are Rob's notes, the rest is Seth:

I am glad Joseph that you enjoy my humor. What were you going to say?

("I was going to say that I got a charge out of your calling Frank Watts a fathead, at our seance the other night.")

I'm afraid I haven't learned humility yet. On the other hand you knew me before I knew Frank Watts, and my vanity was astounding. You were quite vain yourself, and as a woman you certainly put your present wife to shame as far as vanity is concerned.

(Jane, pacing back and forth and talking in her deep strong voice, touched the large begonia plant we have on a coffee table in the center of our living room.)

I like Jane's plant very much. Green things are a touchstone of your existence. You notice I do not use the word planet but plane, since you do not have the whole kettle to yourself. As a man's voice I fear Jane will sound rather unmelodious. I do not have the voice of an angel by any means, but neither do I sound like an asexual eunuch, which is all I've been able to make her sound like all night. And incidentally, Ruburt, you were a good brother at one time. The so-called male aspect of your personality has always been strong, but by this I mean powerful. Without the loyalty that you are learning as a woman your character had serious defects. And there, I said I would not get into anything serious.

("How's the weather up there, Seth?")

There is no weather, whether or not you think there is. This involves far more than a playful question, and would take me at least a month to answer. Ruburt, if you want a cigarette get one. She's been walking around with a match in her hand for the last ten minutes. And don't blame me Ruburt for your oversmoking.

(Jane lit a cigarette, and sipped some wine.)

If I could have a glass of wine with you and enjoy it, I would. If you want Ruburt to talk only for a few moments to me without the record, go ahead. I'll certainly last as long as Ruburt will and a lot longer. If ever your wife's features change imperceptibly some night as we talk, I suggest you do not mention it till the end of the session. Ruburt makes a lovely woman, though he would have been horrified at the transformation.

The Early Sessions, Book 1, Session 14

John Sorensen

I never got Seth's humor until I heard some of the audio CDs.
Now after listening to them multiple times in recent years, I can hear his voice, intonation, rhythm and style of delivery whenever I read a Seth book.

Before I could not tell when he was serious or making a sly comment or joke, but now it is obvious.

LenKop

I find humour to be such an important part in development. It really is a great emotional release, an intellectual measuring device and a wonderful way to bond with others.

I think too many spiritual and scientific methods don't take a good belly laugh, or just a hint of playfullness, seriously enough (pardon the pun). Never lose touch with your child self. He/she will knock you down a few pegs when you really need it, but also inspire you in ways the adult self has often forgotten about.

LK  :)

John Sorensen

It's also kind of a thing that any "spiritual" teacher / guru of any sort that has no sense of humour to me is often a crap teacher.  :P

Because (and I am not thinking of anyone in particular) they are forgetting the spontaneous playful nature of life and existence.  8)

Deb

Some more of the good stuff (ah, it's all good).
Text is Seth, Rob's notes and comments are in parentheses.

Previously we have been too concerned with other matters for any interchange of an emotional kind, and if Ruburt's voice sounds rather dreary in this transitional phase I myself am in a very playful, I might say frisky, mood. By all means ask any questions and we will see what we can do.

(At this point I laughed. "I'm afraid, Seth, that all the questions we've got written down here are rather serious. You caught us by surprise.")

The trouble is, you see, you look upon me as a veritable fountain of knowledge, and I would also be known as a personality in myself and as a friend.

("Do you have friendships on your plane, as we do here?")

I have friendships where I am of course. The one thing about your plane that makes it such a tempting field of endeavor for all of us here is of course that we still have ties of an emotional kind, and we attempt, though clumsily, to make contact with friends. As you yourself write letters to friends in strange countries and do not forget them, so we do not forget.

("Do you have a sense of play and relaxation on your plane?")

We have a much stronger sense of play and relaxation than you have, and much more enjoyable. We can play as a child plays, having however full conscious appreciation—the I am principle—which the child lacks in his fanciful games.

("Do you also experience such emotions as anger?")

I have to admit that you've lost me completely. Because we experience play why does that mean we experience anger? In your terms we experience emotions and therefore are capable of anger. However we are so disciplined that anger seldom arises. It's almost impossible, I can see, to talk with you in a conversational manner for purely mechanical reasons. If I speak quickly in ordinary tones through Ruburt you simply cannot write fast enough to take the words down. Some night I will speak to you as I choose for my own enjoyment. We shall have an interchange, and for that one night the notes will get the boot. I promise to speak on fairly personal and inconsequential matters so that you do not miss my pearls of wisdom.

The one thing that pleases me immensely is the way Ruburt can translate at least a few of my humorous remarks and inflections of my natural speech. It is difficult to carry to you at this point but I have hopes of doing better. Ruburt's voice is an experiment. The immediacy of our sessions would be enhanced if more of my personality could come through. I could go on quite happily, you might say blithely, for hours but I shall not. I would if I thought I could get away with it. I am not some old fogy. Now and then old Frank Watts comes through simply because he is the latest independent materialization, and is used to taking things upon himself. I have not assimilated him completely but you can believe me, I intend to.

Early Sessions, Book 1, Session 14