Computers

Started by strangerthings, September 16, 2022, 02:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangerthings

I do not want to compare the inner ego with a computer in any way, for a computer is not creative, nor is it alive.

NOME Part 2, Chapter 3, Session 822, February 22, 1978

Like Like x 1 View List

Deb

Computers back then took up an entire room and were pretty limited. wink And this is from Jane:

"(After watching the televised events from all over the world, Tuesday night I dreamed that in the future all households would be connected to interconnecting computers, keeping track of all inhabitants, actions, goods, and so forth. Thursday in the mail receive a letter all about the new home-sized computers, how they worked, and how one could be used to work with our records and sessions....)"
—TPS6 Jane's note about the hostages

I wonder if she knows I'm planning to make a database of every session, in chronological order? Lol. In 1979 (I think the date of the quote), computers were still pretty big, basically desk-sized word processors. I worked on an IBM System 6 in '79.

I thought I'd add more of your quote. It's good information about the vast amount of information available to us behind F1:

"The information available in Framework 2 is in your terms infinite.

"(Long pause, one of many, at 10:28.) It is the source of your world, so therefore it contains not only all knowledge physically available, but far more. Give us a moment... I do not want to compare the inner ego with a computer in any way, for a computer is not creative, nor is it alive. You think of course of the life that you know as LIFE, in capitals. It is, however, only the manifestation of what in those terms can only be called the greater life out of which your life springs. This is not to compare the reality that you know in derogative terms to the other-source existence, either, for your own world contains, as each other world does, a uniqueness and an originality that in those terms exists nowhere else — for no world of existence is like any other."

—NoME Part Two: Chapter 3: Session 822, February 22, 1978