Rob's Paintings

Started by jbseth, February 15, 2020, 07:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbseth

Hi All,

Recently I came across session 834 in NOME, Ch5. In this session, Seth shares with Rob some of Seth's ideas about Rob's paintings.

In Rob's notes, just prior to this session, Rob wondered about the various "heads" that he has painted. Rob says that these heads come from his imagination. In response to this, Seth has some interesting things to say about the source of these heads. Seth also talks about what he calls, "power selves".

A little further down in this session, Seth mentions to Rob that, there will be a correspondence between Rob's dreams, Rob's painting and Rob's writing. Rob then talks about this in more detail in footnote 2 at the end of the session. 

In the following spoiler, which contains some of the quotes from this session, all of the bold fonts are mine.

Sorry but you must log in to view spoiler contents.

I was wondering if anyone here ever paints images of head's that come to them from their imagination like Rob did. I was also wondering if anyone here has ever painted images that occur in their dreams, or knows of any artists who do this type of thing.

This just seems like a very interesting and creative thing to do.

-jbseth

chasman

thank you for your very interesting post jbseth.

no and no.

but yes I agree that it is an interesting and creative idea.

it makes me want to try it.

Deb

Thank you for this topic! It is one that I have to give a big YES to the idea of painting from imagination.

My first experience: Many years ago I had signed up for an evening drawing class at a local school. While I'd always loved art classes in elementary school, I'd never taken a class since then.

One evening's class was about drawing a portrait in charcoal. I'd never done a portrait in my life. I started off with the basic "thirds" drawing, and then the portrait took on it's own life. It was like I was staring at blank paper and I could "see" an underlying image, and where lines and shapes should go. What I ended up with was a larger than life portrait of a young African woman, with pulled-back braided hair and cloth wrapped around her head. She was absolutely beautiful. When the teacher came by my desk, he made a critical comment about it and I said thanks for the help as had never drawn a person before. I just remember he was stunned by my response. I was stunned myself. I wish I still had the drawing to share here.

Speaking of Rob's paintings, here's one Laurel gifted me around Christmas. It looks really familiar to me. She said Rob used to paint from his imagination and felt those portraits were his other incarnations. Needless to say, I was completely blown away by this gift. I found the perfect frame for it at Hobby Lobby called Dutch Masters or something like that. The painting itself is about 7"x7".

jbseth

Hi Deb,

Wow what a priceless reply, you just shared with all of us.

I'm blown away by your story of the charcoal drawing you did of the African woman. I sense that this is exactly what Rob was doing.

Years ago, my wife and I purchased some lithographs from a painter named "Wyland". Wyland goes around and paints huge murals on the sides of buildings all across the US, of whales, dolphins and ocean scenes. They're beautiful.  While at his gallery one day, I bought a copy of his book, it was his biography. In his book, Wyland states that when he paints his murals, while he's standing on scaffolding that's only maybe 10 feet from the building, he is able to "see" the completed image from a perspective of about 100 feet away. In my mind, that's some sort of inner visioning that he's tapping into.  :)

I think that likewise, when you were drawing this African woman, you were also tapping into some sort of inner vision.

And then the picture that Laurel gifted you, which was a painting by Rob of one of his heads. Oh wow that is really awesome.

Thanks for sharing this, you just made my day. :)

-jbseth

jbseth

Hi Deb,

Maybe this portrait looks familiar to you because it is a portrait of Rob in another re-incarnational or probable reality and maybe in that reality, you two knew each other.  ;D

-jbseth

Deb

Quote from: jbseth
Maybe this portrait looks familiar to you because it is a portrait of Rob in another re-incarnational or probable reality and maybe in that reality, you two knew each other. 

Well that's a cool idea. I did at one time have a "vision" of me being a young Dutch woman working in a vegetable garden. I could see up on the hill in the grassy hill behind me, on the horizon, the shape of a windmill. That could be about the right time period. :)

My first thought was that I'd seen this painting before, maybe in one of the books. I just looked in The Seth Materials and Conversations with Seth, nothing there, not even in the background of a picture. The face of this man totally exudes kindness, it's amazing. And when I look at the painting, he looks right back, eye to eye. I left the back of the frame unsealed, because Rob's notes on what he did on the painting are on the back, plus a note from Laurel. The painting was started April 19, 1991. Interesting that you would put up a post on Rob's "heads" and I would just happen to have one.

Painting from dreams is a really interesting idea, I'd love to see some of Rob's. My dreams are usually pretty boring. But I have thought of one day painting that vision I had of myself.

I have a friend that's an artist and she does "energy paintings" for people via the telephone. I've tried to paint with her (that inner-self abstract I did was the result) but she talks incessantly and I'm just the opposite when I'm doing something creative and find the talk distracting. She doesn't pay attention to what she's painting, she just talks and talks and her hand works independently from her brain, so she's definitely painting from somewhere other than her mind.

Look at what I just found: https://www.1stdibs.co.uk/art/paintings/landscape-paintings/robert-fabian-butts-country-landscape-robert-fabian-butts/id-a_1570373/

jbseth

Hi Deb,

Your Dutch woman, may be about the right time. As I recall, there was a lifetime where Seth was the spice merchant, Rob was an artist to bought some land, and I think Jane was Rob's son. According to Seth, in that life, Rob was somewhat lecherous. :)

I seem to recall, they may have lived somewhere in the Holland, Denmark, Germany general area.

That's an interesting find regarding Rob's country farm painting. The "Fabien" name through me off for a moment (I was thinking about the popular early 1960's singer instead.) I didn't realize that Rob painted country settings. There's probably many things that he painted, that I'm not aware of.

-jbseth

Deb

Denmark sounds right.

Yep, the Fabien part of his name is not commonly known. I don't know all of the things Rob painted, certainly loads of "heads," some fruit, he did greeting cards for a while and worked for Marvel Comics. Spider Man I think. I think he was an amazing guy, multifaceted and a life well lived.

Laurel has been selling a lot of Jane and Rob's things: art, possessions, furniture, over the years. Just about two months ago a woman came from China (I think she's associated with Dr. Hsu) and bought 50 paintings. I'm not sure if they were Jane's or Rob's or both. In the past Laurel would put up on Facebook photos of things she wanted to sell. I'm attaching a screen capture of a few.

I'm in the process of making a website for Laurel to sell more... I'm hoping in the process I can find a Jane painting that I like and can afford.

Laurel also has some unpublished things (for instance, Physical Universe as Idea Construction) that I'm really hoping I can help her get published. I'm also working on Rich Kendall's next book, it's different from what he's done in the past and I'm having a blast working on it. Another very creative guy.

chasman

a couple thoughts:

yes, about Rob being an amazing guy.

I sometimes am displeased with Rob's notes.
sometimes they go on for too long  (my opinion, of course).

but, now that I think about it for a bit............
Rob must have had one of the most fascinating lives that was ever lived.
in my opinion, most of all because:
who talked to Seth the most?
who sat in a room with Seth for perhaps thousands of hours?
as Seth dictated books, and tons of early and personal sessions.
I mean think about it.
imagine for a second, that this happened to you.
must have been the most utterly fascinating experiences
talking to Seth, asking him about stuff, and whatever.
so, after thinking about that........
I have a new found appreciation for Rob's notes.

also, I am listening to Seth Speaks on Audible.
and they talk about Denmark, spice merchant and so on.
I searched at the Seth search engine, and viola:

https://findingseth.com/q/spice+merchant+book:ss/

and Deb, your Rob Painting guy looks familiar to me too.  :)

Deb

Quote from: chasman
I sometimes am displeased with Rob's notes.
sometimes they go on for too long  (my opinion, of course).

I felt that way too, for a long time. In the beginning I used to feel that Rob was trying to make the books "his" or all about him. But now I feel differently, a lot of the time he interjects some good information, refers back to other sessions, explains things. When I think about him writing down the lessons by hand and inserting all of these notes, I can't believe he was able to do that. Superman in writey-tighties. I also felt it added a lot of credibility to the books because a lot of the time his notes were mundane details and not very exciting. Too dull to be fiction, lol.

And all of the things that you brought up about Rob add to that as well. Can you  imagine being married to this bubbly woman and suddenly she's talking about the nature of reality, saying she's Seth, with a deep voice? How many men would have been able to accept that? :)

Does the Audible version of Seth Speaks have Rob's notes too? I really like the books I got on YouTube because the notes were left out. Since I'd already read the books, I didn't feel they were necessary and it sure makes the books shorter.

jbseth

Hi Chasman, Hi Deb, Hi All,

Yeah, I understand.

I don't always take the time to read Rob's notes. Sometimes I'm more focused on what Seth had to say and I blast right past them. However, I do find them to be helpful and sometimes there's quite a bit of really good insights in them.

I'll put it this way, while I don't always read them, I'm sure glad that he wrote them because I can always go back and read then, if / when I want to.   In addition to this, there's is a lot of information in there that I don't think I'd understand as well, if Rob never wrote any of them.

-jbseth

chasman

thank you for your replies.

Deb, the Audible version does have Rob's notes.
makes for a long book.
but my new perspective is that in a way, I like it.

and yes to all you said about Rob.

he must have been indeed a kind of Superman.
and his openness to the unusual-ness,
of the whole channeling thing is very good.

an interesting thing to me, is
I've had over 40 years to think about the whole Seth thing.
at the time of writing of Seth Speaks and Nopr, etc.,
Jane and Rob had maybe 8 or 10 or so years.

and yes jbseth, I do like being able to read the books and ignore Rob's notes, sometimes.
for sure I have mixed feelings.