Sleep Orientation and Duration

Started by jbseth, October 17, 2019, 05:05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbseth

Hi All,

I thought that I'd start this post so that we could discuss Seth's comments regarding both: 1) Sleep Orientation and 2) Sleep Durations.   It appears that Seth talks primarily about Sleep Orientation in "The Early Sessions" books and he seems to discuss sleep durations mainly in "Seth Speaks", Chapter 8, Session 532.

Using the Seth "Search Engine", I did a word search on the word "north" and came up with quotes given below. Apparently both Seth and Jane/Rob actually said quite a bit more about this sleep orientation issue than I realized.

In regards to Seth, he recommends this north orientation for sleep since the magnetic properties of our molecules are aligned with greater efficiency in this orientation (TES1 Session 35).  He also said that it supports the healthiest conditions for the human organism (TES5 S207) and that projections are more easily executed with the head oriented this way (TES6 S261).

Seth also mentions that this orientation was necessary for dream records. He said that the reasoning parts of the brain can work most efficiently along with the intuitive portions of the self when the physical organism is in that position (TES6, 274).

Along with this, it also appears that Jane and Rob did use this orientation at least on one occasion. In addition to this, it also appears that they derived some beneficial results from this; Jane lost the persistent soreness she was having in her left ribs (TES1, S100).

However, that being the case, it also appears that they decided to switch the bed orientation back later on (TES6, S261). Then, even later, we find that Seth once again brought this topic of orientation up, but it sounds like Jane and Rob found having their bed oriented this way was difficult for them (SS, Ch3, S519).

TES1 Session 35:
[... 70 paragraphs ...]

("Is there anything to the idea of sleeping with your head to the north?")

Sleeping with your heads to the north is excellent, on your plane only. Because of magnetic properties your molecules are aligned with greater efficiency. I certainly do not like to go into household matters. A point, however: Your bed should never be in your main room. Not only do you have lack of privacy, one of Ruburt's squawks, and not only should various biological functions be separated on your plane as I have suggested, but the room itself, while excellent for some purposes involving use of the intellect, is simply not good for sleeping.

The back room is the best for sleeping. However it is also the best for your working purposes, Joseph. The small room will do as a sleeping room, but the head of the bed should be at the north. And in the use of psychological time exercises you would do well if your head was at the north.

[... 10 paragraphs ...]

TES3 Session 99:
[... 67 paragraphs ...]

(End at 11:11. Jane was dissociated as usual. Many months ago Seth had suggested putting the head of our bed to the north, without going into much detail as to reasons. He referred above to a question and answer session because I had mentioned the idea to Jane earlier in the day. We plan to work up a list of questions. The furnace reference concerns Jane's manual operation today of the usually automatic gas heating plant in the house, after the thermostat developed some as yet undiagnosed trouble. In connection with the bed data, Jane has been mentioning for some time now that she has a vague soreness of the ribs on her left side.)

[... 13 paragraphs ...]

TES3 Session 100:
[... 30 paragraphs ...]

The division here in the room into spheres of more or less separated activities is of great benefit. The bed is again in the position that I suggested, I notice. An additional small detail that I make (it is a fact, but I also mention it to tug at Ruburt's leg a bit) you are both better off, actually, without the radiator being covered, because of the collection of dust particles.

[... 13 paragraphs ...]

The informal social engagements that you have been enjoying are most beneficial, and within reason should be continued. The change in the direction of the bed will also aid in psychological time experiments, when tried there.

(I might also add here that in the short time since the bed was changed in position, so that its head points north, Jane has lost the persistent soreness of the ribs on her left side. See the note on page 87.)

[... 42 paragraphs ...]

TES5, S207:
[... 11 paragraphs ...]

I told you many sessions ago that the most healthy conditions could be achieved for the human organism if the body when sleeping lay in a north-south position, and I repeat this remark now.

[... 61 paragraphs ...]

TES6, S261:
[... 17 paragraphs ...]

(Jane confirmed that she did not like the "spiritual guide" connotation. Seth's material upon resumption stems from the fact that Jane, housecleaning lately, had switched our bed from a north-south axis to east-west. Resume at 9:31, eyes open, smiling broadly.)

Now my dear friends, you will find all projections much easier if your head is to the north.

Ruburt will not be happy with this. Projection is certainly possible in any case. However at your period of development it would be simpler to have everything working for you that you can. It is up to you to make decisions. Perhaps the other comforts that the room affords you with the bed in another position, is worth it to you for a while. This in no way changes the fact that projections are more easily executed with the head to the north.

[... 91 paragraphs ...]

TES6 Session 274:
[... 24 paragraphs ...]

The north-south position is extremely important in this context, and indeed a necessity for any efficient dream records. The reasoning parts of the brain can work most efficiently along with the intuitive portions of the self when the physical organism is in that position.

[... 45 paragraphs ...]

TES6 Session 277:
[... 10 paragraphs ...]

There is not any great matter of danger, only that you could fall into blunders. The north-south position is most beneficial. It might be of benefit if you concentrate before sleep upon a simple projection that involves leaving the body, walking out into this room, for example, (the living room) or perhaps strolling around the block.

[... 36 paragraphs ...]

TES7 Session 307:
[... 30 paragraphs ...]

Consciousness on its own has a larger choice. The North-South position is still the best body position, though other positions may be used. This applies to either the drug or drugless experience. For various reasons, the time of the full moon is most beneficial. Rainy weather is an aid. For Ruburt, the time of ovulation is good.

[... 7 paragraphs ...]

TES8 Session 344:
[... 84 paragraphs ...]

It may be advantageous, though this is a small point, to change the living room furniture to a position that it has not been in since his illness, you see. The bed should definitely be north and south, now. That bathroom barrier should be pulled in half.

[... 26 paragraphs ...]

SS, Chapter 3, S519:
[... 19 paragraphs ...]

(During break Jane got a brief but clear message from Seth: We should turn our bed back so that its head pointed north again, instead of to the west as it does now.

[... 23 paragraphs ...]

("Okay." Our bedroom is small and it's difficult to have the bed lined up north-south; besides, Jane can't see out the single window then. We didn't turn the bed as Seth suggested.)

[... 4 paragraphs ...]

-jbseth

futureselfnow

hi group! i just found your site when i googled "seth on sleep". so cool to find you! back in 1991 or so when i first was reading seth speaks, i implemented his suggestions and it changed my world. i went to sleep at 9:30pm and woke at 2:30 daily. went back to sleep around 7 til maybe 9am. then i'd take another nap around 2 til 4pm. everything he said would happen, happened. i had lucid dreams, my first out of body experience and even started having psychic dreams. i couldnt wait to go to sleep each time i laid down because of the adventures that awaited me. my energy and clarity were sharp and when it neared time to sleep my body automatically shut down like clockwork. and most significant of all effects, all fear disappeared from my psyche. it was between college semesters and so i fell off the habit and its been my sole desire to get back to that schedule one day. jump to 30 years later and i'm introducing my wife to the sleep pattern so we're on day two of it. really cool to find your site. hope to engage in conversations with y'all. :) -elisa
Love it! Love it! x 1 View List

Bora137

That's brilliant. With life demands atm it's just not possible for me but is on my list for when I regain some space. Can I ask what you did between 2.30 and 7 am? And how it was improved by doing at night? Thanks

futureselfnow

sure! in those pre-dawn hours i mostly continued reading seth speaks, journaled, meditated, and went for walks outside - which was a safe area. and the quality of everything at those hours just felt better. because everyone else is sleeping you can feel its a spiritual time. a mystical time. i always looked sooo forward to waking up at 2:30. it was by far my favorite time of day. solitude, quiet, contemplation, creativity, insights! it really is that the effects can be felt because of the balancing of the brain hemispheres and the balancing of waking and sleeping selves. so its less about what i did but more about how i felt. the fact that all fear went away and i felt kind of super-human is the most amazing result.

Bora137

I understand. It sounds to me more like the human experience should be. Seth said something about the collective beliefs of society being much weaker at night, I think perhaps this is also a factor in how you felt, those collective beliefs being mainly negative and fear based.