If one believes one can step in front of a train w/o harm, can one do so?

Started by Mark M, February 09, 2022, 01:44:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

So Seth was asked by Rudy Storch in Jane's ESP class if one believes one can step in front of a train w/o harm, can one actually do so?

Context was, in part, one's daily beliefs by which one might be limiting oneself. Limiting beliefs.

Here's what Seth said:

"All these mythological questions protect us from dealing with the beliefs that we have now in our normal daily lives, and instead we project fantastic beliefs that we do not have so we will not have to face the one that is in our head right now--the quite ordinary beliefs by which we form our reality! And they are clever tricks that you use so often to yourself! They are cute rejections. They allow you to hide yourself from the beliefs that you do have.

"And what's more, you know it!" he said to the asker. "All of you, however, are apt to do the same thing. Why is it that you will so hide from your own conscious beliefs? Because you still want to assign to other causes the nature of your own daily reality -- and you want some out! You want some contradiction. You go for it! You say, 'everything works for everyone else. They form their beliefs and their own reality, But not me--because!'"

From Conversations with Seth, Vol 1, "Belief Box" Chapter 5.

inavalan

Quote from: Mark M on February 09, 2022, 01:44:09 PMSo Seth was asked by Rudy Storch in Jane's ESP class if one believes one can step in front of a train w/o harm, can one actually do so?

Context was, in part, one's daily beliefs by which one might be limiting oneself. Limiting beliefs.

Here's what Seth said:

"All these mythological questions protect us from dealing with the beliefs that we have now in our normal daily lives, and instead we project fantastic beliefs that we do not have so we will not have to face the one that is in our head right now--the quite ordinary beliefs by which we form our reality! And they are clever tricks that you use so often to yourself! They are cute rejections. They allow you to hide yourself from the beliefs that you do have.

"And what's more, you know it!" he said to the asker. "All of you, however, are apt to do the same thing. Why is it that you will so hide from your own conscious beliefs? Because you still want to assign to other causes the nature of your own daily reality -- and you want some out! You want some contradiction. You go for it! You say, 'everything works for everyone else. They form their beliefs and their own reality, But not me--because!'"

Although that seems as a gotcha question, it actually isn't. Everybody will experience the reality they created according to their own beliefs and expectations. If Rudy really believed he won't get harmed, then he won't get harmed. Those watching will perceive realities according to their individual beliefs: e.g. that Rudy was harmed. From there, everybody will continue to further create their own realities that may not be compatible. The apparent gotcha comes from the belief that there is one objective reality that all the participants observe.
Like Like x 1 View List
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.

inavalan

Quote from: inavalan on February 09, 2022, 03:24:21 PM
Quote from: Mark M on February 09, 2022, 01:44:09 PMSo Seth was asked by Rudy Storch in Jane's ESP class if one believes one can step in front of a train w/o harm, can one actually do so?

Here's what Seth said:

Although that seems as a gotcha question, it actually isn't. Everybody will experience the reality they created according to their own beliefs and expectations. If Rudy really believed he won't get harmed, then he won't get harmed. Those watching will perceive realities according to their individual beliefs: e.g. that Rudy was harmed. From there, everybody will continue to further create their own realities that may not be compatible. The apparent gotcha comes from the belief that there is one objective reality that all the participants observe.
Surely, this is a warning to those who'd like to dramatically change their beliefs. They'll experience the disappearance of those who can't follow them because of their own incompatible beliefs.
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.

Deb

This is a great topic. That takes some mighty pure and rock solid beliefs to pull of not being harmed by a train, but it's possible. Beliefs and our minds are powerful things. Just look at the placebo effect, or death bed spontaneous remissions.

And then besides beliefs, there's that "it's not my time to go yet" thing... such as a plane crash where people just happen to get delayed on their way to the airport and they miss the flight. I lived in Florida when the Sunshine Skyway Bridge was rammed by a barge, and a bus went off the edge. One of the gals I worked with was freaking out because she had a relative on that bus. Except, unbeknownst to her that relative got stuck in traffic on the way to Greyhound and missed the bus.

I also know a 911 story that a friend witnessed first hand in Boston. A man at the gate was making a lot of noise because he had to run for his flight and they closed the door right before got there. They would not open it for him. It was one of the planes that flew into the Trade Center. And he thought HE was having a bad day.

PS Welcome back inavalan, nice to see you here!

Like Like x 1 Love it! Love it! x 1 View List

inavalan

Like Like x 1 View List