"Incompetence is the worst form of corruption."

Started by inavalan, September 16, 2022, 02:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inavalan

Quote from: Electra Glide in Blue, 1973"Incompetence is the worst form of corruption."

This is an intriguing quote from an old movie. I don't know the context, but probably because I consider both, incompetence and corruption, to be pervasive among the elites that control the world, it made me ponder on it a little.

The quote might refer to those who are corrupt while not being aware that they're also incompetent; some names immediately come to mind.

"The worst" might refer to the corruption of incompetent people being the most damaging in its effects. Again, immediately some examples come to mind.

Sorry but you must log in to view spoiler contents.

Taking and keeping a job / position you know you aren't competent for, is a form of corruption.
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.

Deb

Oh boy I was thinking I'd like to see the movie until I got to the last sentence. Depressing. :-\

I see incompetence and corruption to be two entirely different things.  Not going by dictionary definition here—to me corruption is intentional malicious intent and action to benefit oneself at the cost of others. I see it all the time in positions of power (government, organizations, etc.).

Incompetence to me is a lack of ability to effectively do whatever one is doing. Back in my old office days, I'd see it mostly in management. The Peter Principle. Rise to a level of incompetence. Or on lower levels where people would lie about their experience and abilities to get hired. They usually didn't last very long, unless they were hired essentially for their looks and, let's say, their willingness to please. All the support staff at the law firm were women. ;)

inavalan

@Deb

I found the movie on line. I watched a few minutes of it, and it seems a good movie, a realistic one. It felt like a snapshot of an era and of an environment, with no particular agenda; less modern self-centered sophistication.

One comes here; has an experience the best he can; goes back.
Like Like x 1 View List
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.

Deb

Well then I'll give it a shot.  ;D  I do remember the title of the movie from back in my teen years. I don't think I saw it, I just thought the name was cool.

inavalan

Only 3 months later ...

An interesting point of this "twitter files" scandal, is that many of the people involved believed they do the right thing!

Surely, they should be held accountable for what they did, but the issue is that the state, the regulators, those in charge with the health of the nation didn't do their jobs and duties, although even many of them probably believed they did the right thing ...

And those revelations don't change anything, and it seems likely they won't change practically anything. Remember wikileaks, Snowden, ...

It is a form of corruption based on incompetence, like we've seen in several significant situations lately: covid, vaccines, energy, border, cancel-culture, Ukraine, Russia, China, ... Those who pushed those narratives were too incompetent to realize the consequences of their corruption.

It sucks, but we / I created this reality ... incompetently, although with the best intentions and hopes.