about the Ego and the Conscious Mind.

whats the difference?
compare and contrast.      :)

please and super thank you for any thoughts,
Charlie

T.M.

Hi All,

Hi Chasman,

I think the Ego is the laser focus of the conscious mind. In modern day parlance it gets a bad rap.

Deb

A great question, thanks Charlie. It's something I was confused about in the beginning because, like T.M. says, the word gets a bad rap and what Seth means is different than what we're used to.

There are actually a few different meanings of the word ego. The one that people think of these days is person's sense of self-importance, i.e. a person with a big ego things he's better than others. But for instance in philosophy it's "the enduring and conscious element that knows experience." In short, the "I" part of ourselves, the consciousness that deals with the external world. Seth uses the terms "outer ego" and "inner ego."

"The "outer ego" and the inner ego operate together, the one to enable you to manipulate in the world that you know, the other to bring you those delicate inner perceptions without which physical existence could not be maintained."
—SS Chapter 1: Session 512, January 27, 1970

So I see the outer ego or conscious mind as being the part of us that looks outward at the world, observes what's there with the outer senses, and communicates that inward to the subconscious or inner ego. Outer ego is so specialized in this capacity that it tends to not consciously be aware of the inner ego, always looking outward.

"The inner ego knows when to apply safety valves, and is aware of the danger before the outer ego is alerted. The inner ego is concerned with maintaining the foundations and balance, which is very important, of the whole self, and it is open to messages from the overall entity. The inner ego receives messages through the inner senses, and is aware of realities which the outer ego cannot afford to recognize because of its specialization."

—TES3 Session 119 January 6, 1965

"Now the inner ego is the organizer of experience that Jung would call unconscious. The inner ego is another term for what we call the inner self. As the outer ego manipulates within the environment and physical reality, so the inner ego or self organizes and manipulates within an inner reality. The inner ego creates that physical reality with which the outer ego then deals."
—TES9 Session 509 November 24, 1969

So when someone says: if you want to change something in your life, put that thought out there and then don't worry about the hows and whens and wheres, just get out of the way, it's because while the outer ego sets the intention, it's the inner ego that gets to work and sets it all up for us. It has vastly more resources available than the outer ego. I also think of the inner ego as a sort of modem between us in Framework1 and "all things are possible" Framework2.

chasman

thank you very much T.M. and Deb.

I'm listening to NOPR on audible.

and Seth said a little about ego and conscious mind.

then I posted this thread.

then I listened some more.

he has lots more to say about them.

I'm in Chapter 2, Reality and Personal Beliefs.
it has so much information, and some of it is quite complicated.
I think I need to re-read it. maybe 2 or 3 times, for it to start to sink in.

and I do mean read it. I can't follow it, the pace is too fast for the amount and kind of information, for me to grasp it, listening to it on audible.

T.M and Deb, your replies are very helpful.
I am very grateful to both of you.

one thing I will say that I think Seth is saying,
is that our outer ego's sometimes have false beliefs.
this then clouds the clear vision of our conscious minds.

and our conscious minds are the go between for our outer ego's and our inner selves.
I think.
see, I need to go back and re-read.

peace and love,
Charlie

Deb

Now you've got me interested in learning more about outer/inner ego!

Quote from: chasman
one thing I will say that I think Seth is saying,
is that our outer ego's sometimes have false beliefs.
this then clouds the clear vision of our conscious minds.

Yes, exactly, this is what go me so excited about Bruce Lipton! He says the same thing but in more scientific terms. His teachings are a different, more personal way of presenting what Seth says about how we make our reality, or in Bruce's case, our bodies and physical health.

Bruce calls it epigenetics, which the scientific medical world is now beginning to acknowledge and study. In Bruce's examples, he explains how it works on a personal level and a cellular level. For instance, the membrane of a cell is what senses or perceives in its exterior environment, transmits the information to the nucleus of the cell, which then acts and reacts accordingly (genes are turned on or off). He says that WE control our genes, it's not the other way around, and that's based on our beliefs because faulty or false believes cloud our perception or interpretation. According to Bruce, we have sole control over our physical health. Seth expands that to include everything in our reality, not only our health.

Per Bruce, on the level as a human, our senses are the equivalent of a cell's membrane. We see, feel, hear etc and the sense organs transmit that data to our brain. Our brain interprets that data based on our beliefs (or filters, some call them), sends chemical messages to the cells in the body to react to what we observe. He gives examples of how our beliefs can be false or distorted based on what we were "told" to believe as children by parents, religion, schools, society in general. He says 95% of our belief system was formed when were were children, when our brains were operating at a different wave level (equal to being under hypnosis) that caused our minds to be sponges. So... he says... 95% of what we believe can have been implanted by parents etc. and really not our own beliefs at all. We just adopted them without question.

I think he's even indicated that a lot of diseases we consider inherited are not because our genes are defective, but our "thoughts" follow the same pattern of our parents which causes expression of those genes.

More of a reason than ever to look closely at our beliefs and ask ourselves, "Do I really believe that? Is that really true?"

I have a little insignificant example to share. My son had a friend that spent a lot of time at our house when they were little. The friend never ate vegetables as far as I could tell. One day I was putting dinner on the table and asked him if he liked fresh peas. He said he hated them. I asked if he'd ever tried one. Nope. So, no pressure, I asked him if he would be willing to try just one. He said okay. As soon as he put it in his mouth, he ran gagging to the bathroom and spit it into the toilet.

Months later his parents were over for dinner and I happened to have peas as a side dish. His dad missed the peas and I asked if he wanted any. "No thanks, I hate peas, they're disgusting."

T.M.

Hi All,

Hi Deb,

I like your question, " is that really true"  Reminds me where Seth says roughly, acknowledge you hold a faulty belief, but then question, is that true - the premise of the belief. I'm trying to do that more and more.

I think we all ingest a certain amount of information, especially early in life, without too much questioning them, and especially family patterns.

Then when circumstances arise, the Ego laser like focuses on either confirmation or denial of held beliefs. Those beliefs are already in the garden, so's to speak. Gardens need to be weeded out periodically for maximum benefit.

chasman

thank you T.M. wise words.

thank you Deb. you've re-kindled my interest in Bruce's ideas.
your post is incredibly interesting to me.
I think I should print it out and hang it up.

and the peas story is good.

on the subject of peas, have you seen this:

https://www.cafepress.com/+visualize-whirled-peas+gifts

Deb

Quote from: chasman
on the subject of peas, have you seen this:
https://www.cafepress.com/+visualize-whirled-peas+gifts

Ha ha ha, you crack me up! World peace, lol.

Quote from: T.M.
Then when circumstances arise, the Ego laser like focuses on either confirmation or denial of held beliefs. Those beliefs are already in the garden, so's to speak. Gardens need to be weeded out periodically for maximum benefit.

Whoa, what a great statement, lots of wisdom in those three sentences. And I love the garden analogy (since I'm a big time gardener), that really hit home for me. So true!

For some reason reminded me of something else: The KonMari method. Someone here introduced me to this last year and I'm still working on it, "tidying up" my house and eventually life in general. The only test when deciding to keep something is "Does it spark joy? If not, get rid of it." We could use this when it comes to our beliefs as well, maybe even rephrasing that to "does is serve me?" I have a feeling beliefs and fear can have a close relationship, and fear-beliefs can really stifle a person's freedom and enjoyment of life.

I've put part of this up here before, but it seemed like a good fit here too. It's from Rich Kendall's Creative Journey book. I thought it was brilliant and funny and all too true. I wish it was this easy.

Sorry but you must log in to view spoiler contents.

chasman

I'm glad you liked it Deb.   :)

I've heard of the KonMari method.

I love all you wrote. I think your idea to apply that to our beliefs is
extremely good. very helpful idea.

you are a wise woman.

thank you for sharing your wisdom with us.

T.M.

Hi All,

Hi Deb,

I'm glad you and Chasman liked the garden analogy :)

I have a good friend who introduced me to the KonMari method. I love it, it's a blast! and very freeing too.

Thank You for the Rich Kendall excerpt :)

Deb

"The conscious mind is meant to make clear judgments about your position in physical reality. Often false beliefs will prevent it from making these, for the egotistically held ideas will cloud its clear vision."
—NoPR Chapter 2: Session 614, September 13, 1972

From Lynda on Facebook. Timing is everything.

I agree KonMari is very liberating. It would be easy to get hooked. :)

chasman

thank you again T.M.

and thank you Deb.

Deb thank you so much for making this awesome forum.
you are so good and so kind.   

if you want to, check out this video with Rick Stack.
I just started watching it.
I bet it is fantastic.
and Deb, I want to read the Lynda Safe Universe books.
I bought them a while back.