You have other minds ... all work together

Started by inavalan, September 02, 2022, 11:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inavalan

Quote"... It is not just that there are other functions of the mind, unused, but that in those terms you have other minds. You have one brain, it is true, but you allow it to use only one station, or to identify itself with only one mind of many.

It seems evident to you that one person has one mind. You identify with the mind you use. If you had another, then it would seem as if you must be someone else. A mind is a psychic pattern through which you interpret and form reality. You have physical limbs that you can see. You have minds that are invisible. Each one can organize reality in a different fashion. Each one deals with its own kind of knowledge.

These minds all work together to keep you alive through the physical structure of the brain. When you use all of these minds, then and only then do you become fully aware of your surroundings: You perceive reality more clearly than you do now, more sharply, brilliantly, and concisely. At the same time, however, you comprehend it directly. You comprehend what it is apart from your physical perception of it. You accept as yourself those other states of consciousness native to your other minds. You achieve true personhood.

In terms of history, some ancient races achieved such goals, but in your terms, so long ago that you cannot find evidence of their knowledge.

(Long pause.) Throughout the centuries various individuals have come close, yet had no vehicle of expression that would have enabled the members of the species to understand. They possessed methods, but the methods presupposed or necessitated a knowledge that others did not possess."

—NotP Chapter 3: Session 763, January 5, 1976
Like Like x 1 View List
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.

Sena

Quote from: inavalan on September 02, 2022, 11:36:58 PMNotP Chapter 3: Session 763, January 5, 1976

@inavalan Thanks for drawing our attention to the important Session 763 of Nature of the Psyche.

Here is another quote from the beginning of the session:

"There are other kinds of knowledge, also. These deal with organizations with which you are generally not familiar. It is not merely a matter of learning new methods to acquire knowledge, then, but a situation in which old methods must be momentarily set aside — along with the type of knowledge that is associated with them." (from "The Nature of the Psyche: Its Human Expression (A Seth Book)" by Jane Roberts, Robert F. Butts)

Kindle edition: https://amzn.eu/0zaPQDK

Seth may be referring here to what is known in common parlance as "intuition" or "sixth sense"". An incident occurred to me yesterday which may be relevant here. It concerns a friend who I have been meeting off and on for 6 months. I had a vague feeling that this friend was somehow associated with death. As I was having lunch with her yesterday, she had a phone call saying that her fiancee's mother had been bringing up blood to her mouth, and she had been admitted to hospital. 15 minutes later there was another call to say that the lady had passed away. My friend told me that the lady was 75 years old and a domineering character. My friend was saddened by her death, but also somewhat relieved that she would not have to cope with a domineering mother-in-law.

Deviating from the above topic, Seth is clear that death is not something to be feared:

"There is no separate, indivisible, specific point of death. Life is a state of becoming, and death is a part of this process of becoming."
—SS Part Two: Chapter 9: Session 535, June 17, 1970

Bora137

To what extent is your mind you then? Not you at all. If you use a fully loaded mind to go into earth plane you might be very materially successful. You might develop a massive ego. You might then have to return to earth with the same mind (because that is your earth interface mind) but with no optional extras, in fact you might remove some important components, like say analytical thinking. You might then have a very difficult incarnation starting off with struggling at school, having to take a very low paid job. This might even get worse because of the ego you developed in the high functioning previous incarnation. You might believe the work is beneath you, turn to crime, end up in prison. At some point in this journey the ego will probably shatter as it will become evident to the self that the ego is the cause of most of its problems and the soul self will emerge with higher spiritual understanding. So the incarnation using the lower functioning mind though painful has produced greater spiritual progression than the high functioning mind.

This switchable mind concept is a great leveler. No one is cleverer than anyone else, it depends on the mind you decide to use to suit the spiritual purposes you are incarnating for. A homeless drug addict will almost certainly be progressing more than say a barrister from a comfortable background - almost certainly, but not certainly because we don't know what challenges the barrister has planned for herself.
Like Like x 1 View List

inavalan

It depends on what we call "minds". For example, Seth says:

Quote from: NotP Chapter 3: Session 763A mind is a psychic pattern through which you interpret and form reality. You have physical limbs that you can see. You have minds that are invisible. Each one can organize reality in a different fashion. Each one deals with its own kind of knowledge

From this, I infer that it is like speaking one language when you're in Spain, and another when you're in Germany. If you're bilingual, you could actually even think in a different language in a different linguistic environment. Still, your identity, awareness, knowledge aren't dependent on the language you use.

Another example is about dealing with a situation emotionally (art), intellectually (mathematics), intuitionally (choice). The more developed personalities have access to a larger number of "minds", of higher capability each, and can switch easier among them, as well as using more than one at the same time: for example, using both your intellect and your intuition to make a decision, while also factoring in your emotional context about that decision.

Seth says:

Quote from: NotP #763I said earlier that there were many kinds of knowledge. Think of them instead as states of knowledge. Perception of any of these takes a consciousness attuned to each. In my "waking" condition, I operate at many levels of consciousness at once, and deal therefore with different systems of knowledge.
Although I don't always write it explicitly, it should be inferred that everything I post is "my belief", "my opinion" on that subject, at that moment.

inavalan

Quote from: inavalan on September 03, 2022, 02:54:02 PM... like speaking one language when you're in Spain, and another when you're in Germany. ...

This reminds a joke:

• An American is approached in the street by an Asian tourist, who needs some directions or information. The tourist attempts to make his request in French, German, Spanish, his native Asian language ... but the American can't understand any of those languages. Eventually the tourist leaves to try his luck with someone else. A bystander who watched the encounter approaches the American and comments "It must be great to speak so many languages!". To which our American replies: "What good did that to him?"

Bora137

Quote from: inavalan on September 03, 2022, 02:54:02 PMAnother example is about dealing with a situation emotionally (art), intellectually (mathematics), intuitionally (choice). The more developed personalities have access to a larger number of "minds", of higher capability each, and can switch easier among them, as well as using more than one at the same time: for example, using both your intellect and your intuition to make a decision, while also factoring in your emotional context about that decision.

So the me that uses the various minds is personality. So the mind is not my preferences and likes, it is not quite obviously I guess my base awareness.

This helps me understand better the composition and interrelationship of mind + spirit better than some of the diagrams I've seen.