Eckhart Tolle

Started by Deb, November 25, 2016, 10:39:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deb

He kinda gets it, lol. The only thing that bothers me is he says Consciousness never evolves. I feel we're all here having experiences to enrich and evolve Consciousness. Otherwise, what's the point of it all?

Eckhart Tolle on Consciousness
A New Earth Awakening to Your Life's Purpose

From Chapter 10, Consciousness:

Consciousness is already conscious. It is the unmanifested, the eternal. The universe, however, is only gradually becoming conscious. Consciousness itself is timeless and therefore does not evolve. It was never born and does not die. When consciousness becomes the manifested universe, it appears to be subject to time and to undergo an evolutionary process. No human mind is capable of comprehending fully the reason for this process. But we can glimpse it within ourselves and become a conscious participant in it.

Consciousness is the intelligence, the organizing principle behind the arising of form. Consciousness has been preparing forms for millions of years so that it can express itself through them in the manifested.

Although the unmanifested realm of pure consciousness could be considered another dimension, it is not separate from this dimension of form. Form and formlessness interpenetrate. The unmanifested flows into this dimension as awareness, inner space, Presence. How does it do that? Through the human form that becomes conscious and thus fulfills its destiny. The human form was created for this higher purpose, and millions of other forms prepared the ground for it.

Consciousness incarnates into the manifested dimension, that is to say, it becomes form. When it does so, it enters a dreamlike state. Intelligence remains, but consciousness becomes unconscious of itself. It loses itself in form, becomes identified with forms. This could be described as the descent of the divine into matter. At that stage in the evolution of the universe, the entire outgoing movement takes place in that dreamlike state. Glimpses of awakening come only at the moment of the dissolution of an individual form, that is to say, death. And then begins the next incarnation, the next identification with form, the next individual dream that is part of the collective dream...

The human brain is a highly differentiated form through which consciousness enters this dimension... The brain does not create consciousness, but the consciousness created the brain, the most complex physical form on earth, for its expression. When the brain gets damaged, it does not mean you lose consciousness. It means consciousness can no longer use that form to enter this dimension. You cannot lose consciousness because it is, in essence, who you are. You can only lose something that you have, but you cannot lose something that you are.

Sena

Just started reading The Power of Now.

Deb

Please let us know what you think. I like Eckhart, there's such a serenity about him. It's been a while since I read his books, it was before my Seth introduction and I liked his message.