The "Inner Self" in the stories of Philip K. Dick

Started by Sena, August 26, 2016, 08:00:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sena

I am posting this in the "Miscellaneous" section because there is no evidence of a direct link between the Seth teachings and Philip K. Dick. Reading his short story "Paycheck", however, seems to reveal an intuitive understanding of the ideas that Seth taught. There is a clear time overlap between Dick's writings and those of Jane Roberts. Dick published his first story in 1950, and he died in 1982.

The hero of the story is an electronic technician named Jennings, who has just finished working a two-year stint for the mysterious Rethrick Coproration. The business of this corporation is highly secretive, and Jenning's memory was wiped out before he was released to the outer world. Jennings was expecting a paycheck of fifty thousand "credits". When he goes to collect his check he is informed that prior to beginning his stint he had signed a document stating that he had chosen to be given "certain articles or products" instead of money. Jennings is given a sack containing seven articles, and he feels really disappointed that he did not get the paycheck which he thought was due to him. The articles were a code key, a ticket stub, a parcel receipts, a length of fine wire, half a poker chip, a green strip of cloth, and a bus token.

As the story continues, Jennings realizes that every one of the seven articles comes in extremely useful in coping with life "outside" the Corporation. The question arises in the reader's mind as to how Jennings had known which articles to choose in lieu of his paycheck. Dick does not give a clear explanation of this, but it seems to me that it was Jenning's Inner Self which decided on these articles. This story seems to me an example of how one's Inner Self can arrange one's life, subject to one's own free will, in a way that will result in spiritual development or value fulfilment.

Batfan007

While not directly related, Seth did mention frequently that many authors unknowingly channel multidimensional information into their stories.
PARTICULARLY science fiction stories, where more controversial ideas are easier to digest.
Another feature of sci-fi stories is exploring probable futures through a safe non-threatening avenue, and the species as a whole is able to unconsciously NOT choose a particular dystopian future etc.

At the the end the day, (our camouflague) reality is often more fiction than non-fiction. Storytellers are terrible important in my opinion, they help to lay the co-operative fabric we all live in.

Sena

Quote from: Batfan007While not directly related, Seth did mention frequently that many authors unknowingly channel multidimensional information into their stories.
Reading Dick's biography, he appears to have been on the borderline of psychosis. He received some "communications", but he could never decide whether they were real or imaginary. The remarkable thing about Jane Roberts was that she was able to maintain a state of perfect sanity.