Expectation

Started by Sena, July 17, 2017, 07:54:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sena

The topic of expectation has been mentioned in a number of posts, but I feel it is important enough to merit a heading of its own. Expectation is the key to creating one's own reality. Here are some quotes from the Seth search engine:

"If a man wants to change his fate, desire is not enough, but expectation is. Desire may grow into expectation, but alone it is not enough. Expectation is actually the main trigger that switches inner data into the realm of physical construction. Without it, no physical construction results."
—The Early Sessions 2 Session 76 August 3, 1964

"Your lives at this point are the results of your own inner expectations. If you do not like your lives, then examine your expectations. Your future lives will be the result of your own expectations again. Change these expectations now if need be."
—The Early Sessions 7 Part One Of Seth's Lecture To Pat's Boston High School Class March 25, 1967

• "You must watch your expectations, Joseph."

• "Your expectations literally create your life as you know it."

• "Your expectations alone will change your material circumstances."

—The Early Sessions 8 Session 335 April 17, 1967

• "(With humor:) Tonight's subject matter: "Great Expectations"—for I am here referring to the book by (Charles) Dickens."

• "The true power is in the imagination which dares to speculate upon that which is not yet (intently). The imagination, backed by great expectations, can bring about almost any reality within the range of probabilities."

—Dreams Evolution and Value Fulfillment Chapter 3: Session 891, December 26, 1979

"Your present feelings and expectations can always be used to check your progress. If you do not like your experience, then you must change the nature of your conscious thoughts and expectations."
—NoPR Preface by Seth: Session 609, April 10, 1972

• "He ignored what seemed to be a fact of reality, built his own constructive expectations, and made them the reality. He expects good things, and receives them."

• "You must remember, once more, that expectations are the blocks with which you build your reality."

—The Early Sessions 9 Session 485 June 2, 1969

"There is a difference between excellent expectations thoroughly believed in which are beneficial, and superficially adopted overexpectations that are not basically believed."
—The Early Sessions 8 Session 345 June 12, 1967

Michael Sternbach

I think that the last quote warrants particular attention: Expectation has to be real and thorough! You can "expect" all kinds of things half-heartedly - chances are, they're not going to happen.

Ignoring apparent facts has been mentioned, and this can be necessary in order to bring about the desired results, but many times, people will try to forcefully convince themselves that things are going to be alright, while harboring nagging doubts in their subconscious mind. Those are forces that contribute to the creation of personal reality too, and in effect counteract or override the directives given by the conscious self.

Seth talks about this in NoPR: Beliefs and expectations must sometimes be made conscious first, before focus can be shifted away from them. It is a thin line that we are treading.

In some cases, the conflict is based on our fear that, in order to get what we want, we have to let go of something we already have. There are other kinds of inner contradictions as well. For many, the problem seems to be to find out what they really want in the first place!

Sena

Quote from: Michael Sternbach
I think that the last quote warrants particular attention: Expectation has to be real and thorough! You can "expect" all kinds of things half-heartedly - chances are, they're not going to happen.
I agree. Seth says elsewhere that there is always a range of probabilities. Our expectation enables us to choose from this range. Wanting something outside the range of probablities would be unrealistic. I might wish to be on the moon tomorrow morning, but that is not going to happen.